Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wellness and NV using Menufoods?

mafiaprincess
March 21st, 2007, 02:43 PM
Anyone's thoughts on this? Old Mother Hubbard's site says their food isn't effected by the recall, but they don't say they don't use menu.. This news article claims both NV and wellness use menufoods.. Sketches me out a touch. That along with TO refusing to disclose who makes their food...

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/localnews/ci_5477581

meb999
March 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
might be time to strat home-cooking for awhile....

Even though SG isn't in the recall...all this stuff is making me nervous....
You're carefull to feed your dog in two meals to avoid bloat, you take him in for his shots so he doesn't catch some horrible disease, you treat him like he's one of your kids, and he dies from the food you put in his bowl. You think you're doing the best for them, you know? It's all so sad :sad:

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 03:24 PM
Wellness is made at the same place by the same company as those <insert your own description here> lesser quality foods ??? :eek:

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM
Very interesting....thanks for posting MP. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. And, also interesting to read that Menu Foods will not return any of the calls. :mad:

I just emailed Wellness (Old Mother Hubbard) and Nature's Variety asking them whether they do use product from Menu Foods even though none of their foods have been recalled. Will post my replies....if I get them. :rolleyes:

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 03:33 PM
Thaaaaaat's why!!!

Solid Gold's statement was one of the ONLY ones I found that said "Menu foods does not produce any of our foods". Most of the other ones said, "None of our foods are affected by the recall". Biggggg difference.

Of course Wellness and NV won't be recalled- they don't have wheat.

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 03:40 PM
That's right....it is a BIG difference. If the statement in the article MP posted is true, I wonder how many other "premium/holistic" companies are using product from Menu Foods. And, I wonder what exactly they are purchasing from them. Obviously, not any wheat product but I wonder WHAT???

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 03:41 PM
Who knows!? It's so aggravating. When Solid Gold comes out looking like the most honest and upfront, we know we have a serious problem. :sad:

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Well, hopefully I get an answer from Wellness and Nature's Variety. :fingerscr

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM
Timberwolf has the same "our foods are not affected by the Menu Foods recall". I've emailed them asking if they are manufactured by Menu or in the same plant ~ I should have asked if they sourced any of their ingredients from Menu.

mafiaprincess
March 21st, 2007, 04:39 PM
I think I may cry.. I thought all those menu foods statements were written in an icky funny way..
And then when I was shown this article I was like please don't be true.. And even with these foods not being recalled, I have a huge ick factor going on..

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 04:41 PM
I hear ya MP ~ I simply do not know what I will do if I can't use Timberwolf .:sad:

Cram
March 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
I'm fairly certain Natura foods also gets Menu foods to make some of their canned foods (the Nebraska plant apparently). Natura makes Innova and California naturals. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I disagree with Menu Foods experimenting on animals with foods they knew likely were harmful, but I also understand the need for pet food companies to out source some of their production, especially for canned stuff (which requires more rigorous processing and such). And just because every pet food from low to high quality is produced in the same plant does not mean it uses the same ingredients- I would hope that companies like Wellness and Innova have separate suppliers for their ingredients, especially because they are advertised as being natural and human grade. That said, I'm hoping to start using a grain free kibble produced locally once Helix is old enough and it becomes available (or possibly Orijen,as that's also a "local" food). It makes you think though!

On another note, Canidae said that their foods are not processed in the "same production facility" but they do not specify by the same company (Menu Foods) indicating they could be produced in another Menu Foods plant not in Canada.

Shamrock
March 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
This is all so distressing, it boggles the mind.
The fallout is absolutely overwhelming in scope....:sad:
Talk about shattered trust..:mad:

I feed Innova tinned to my cats. Their website states this.
SPECIAL NOTIFICATION: Natura pet foods are NOT affected by the recent Menu Foods recall.
But... is that good enough?
Do they use any product?

I have pet food paranoia.. cant help it.:sad:

I think I'm going to feed them my own cooked food for a while.:shrug:
Like all of us, I opened the tins, filled the dishes and offered their meals with loving confidence I was doing right by them.
Now.. I look at it with fear.. :eek:

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM
I'm fairly certain Natura foods also gets Menu foods to make some of their canned foods (the Nebraska plant apparently). Natura makes Innova and California naturals. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I disagree with Menu Foods experimenting on animals with foods they knew likely were harmful, but I also understand the need for pet food companies to out source some of their production, especially for canned stuff (which requires more rigorous processing and such). And just because every pet food from low to high quality is produced in the same plant does not mean it uses the same ingredients- I would hope that companies like Wellness and Innova have separate suppliers for their ingredients, especially because they are advertised as being natural and human grade. That said, I'm hoping to start using a grain free kibble produced locally once Helix is old enough and it becomes available (or possibly Orijen,as that's also a "local" food). It makes you think though!

On another note, Canidae said that their foods are not processed in the "same production facility" but they do not specify by the same company (Menu Foods) indicating they could be produced in another Menu Foods plant not in Canada.

I just sent emails to both Natura and Canidae. Will post if I get replies.

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM
I received confirmation from Wellness (OMH) that they received my email and would reply within one business day. :fingerscr

Shamrock
March 21st, 2007, 06:15 PM
Thank you Rainbow for doing this.:thumbs up I hope they respond to you. :fingerscr
My cats dry food is Felidae - very interested in the replies from both of these companies.

Emmalou
March 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM
I just called Natura. Their foods are made at the Menu South Dakota plant.

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM

Just the canned (wet) food?

CyberKitten
March 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM
I just posted about one of my vets saying Wellness did not use that ingredient but I don't think even he is aware of this asnd he was interviewed on the local news yesterday! Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

I think I am going to learn how to home cook for cats - lots of protein tho he did argue against raw and with all the bacteria at al, I a,m not sold on raw!! So I will doing lots of research and making my own food I think. This is too scary!!!!!

The laws are going to have to change and be treated the same way human food is. (and even it could be better but it does work for the most part).

There is a class action law suit against that company I hear. I don't want to get to that part tho.....

coppperbelle
March 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM

Are you serious? I was worried that we weren't getting the whole truth but never thought that Natura or any of the other holistic foods would associate themselves with Menu foods? This is very bad, in my opinion.

I e-mailed Canidae and will hopefully get a response.

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM
That's what makes this recall so bad compared to others, IMO. It really could have been any of the foods and any of our animals. :o

coppperbelle
March 21st, 2007, 07:47 PM
I just read a report on Yahoo news and it says the company is not sure that wheat gluten is responsible. So here we are all thinking that we are okay because there is no wheat gluten in our foods and it could be something else that is in our food.

Skryker
March 21st, 2007, 07:50 PM
Here's the announcement from Canidae's website:

Industry Can Recall

In light of the unfortunate current can recall by other respectable pet food manufacturers, our phone lines and emails are tied up with concerned customers. We want you, our valued customer, to feel secure with the continued use of our canned products. CANIDAE® canned foods in no way is affected by the recall, nor are any of our products produced in the recalled production facility.

CANIDAE Pet Foods also does not produce cuts and gravies, pouches, and does not contain corn, wheat or soybeans in any of our products or formulations.

Our heartfelt concerns go out to all those affected by the recall.

CANIDAE Pet Foods

While it is reassuring, note that it does not say that their products aren't produced by Menu, only that their canned food isn't affected, and not produced in the same facility. That's a bit dodgy.

CyberKitten
March 21st, 2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah and I just verified that Wellness is made at that plant. OK, that;s it for me!! I need to find a new food. (Other than search for recipes!!) Any suggestions?

Skryker
March 21st, 2007, 07:54 PM
And here's Petcurean's press release:

PETCUREAN PRODUCTS NOT AFFECTED IN MENU FOODS RECALL

Petcurean Pet Nutrition advises that no Petcurean products are involved in the recent Menu Foods recall of canned pet foods.

Then they direct you to Menu's site. :rolleyes:

Arrrghhhhh! And Dancer has been doing so well on a combo of Felidae dry and Go! Natural Canned food. :mad: Now I don't know what to think!

worrier
March 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM
I was under the impression that only canned foods were affected. (scared) Is it possible something will happen to my boy from eating Wellness kibble?

springermom0406
March 21st, 2007, 08:32 PM
My thought is, if these "good" companies are using crap companies to produce their foods, who the heck knows WHAT is going into the foods...

Thank God I went back to raw. Now my only concern is my cats.

Emmalou
March 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM
Natura has their own dry food plant and I believe Menu only produces canned food. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

One Beagle Girl
March 21st, 2007, 10:11 PM
:yell: I can't take it anymore :yell:

I find all of this distressing. And I work in a pet food store. I can't even in good conscience recommend ANY foods!!

I supplement P's Innova Evo kibble with Wellness cans. Not only that, but he was having itchy problems on the Evo so I just started switching him to TO.

I going back to raw. Thank you for letting me vent!

CyberKitten
March 21st, 2007, 10:30 PM
But I am scared of raw too - I see too much of it as a physician I guess, too much bacteria, salmonella - with raw, one does not need to be concerned about recalls because there is always the possibility of problems. Tho I did for a while give my cats chicken hearts and then thought OMG, what am I doing? At least tho you know what kind of illness you might get tho - that is something.

This whole thing is scary and frustrating!!! I am serious - I am going to get recipes,. Remember that show Providence where one of the characters had a Barkery- she baked stuff for dogs (don't think she served cats) and the father was a vet? Not that I thinkj it's real and I am going to write for recipes, lol but there must be recipes for cats on line somewhere!!!!

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 10:32 PM
Natura has their own dry food plant and I believe Menu only produces canned food. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

That's what I think too. Hopefully, they will answer my email. :fingerscr

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 10:34 PM
Here's the announcement from Canidae's website:

While it is reassuring, note that it does not say that their products aren't produced by Menu, only that their canned food isn't affected, and not produced in the same facility. That's a bit dodgy.

I read on another forum that someone got a reply from Canidae stating that they have no affiliation with Menu Foods and that their canned food is made at Evanger's plant. :)

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 11:10 PM
:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :pray:

One Beagle Girl
March 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm contacting PETA because NV is on their list of companies that don't test of animals. If their canned foods are produced at Menu Foods (who obviously DO test on animals) then I think they should be removed from the list. They should be responsible for the actions of those who make their food! :yell:

I hope that doesn't make me too obsessed. :mad:

Emmalou
March 22nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
I think the testing Menu was doing was palatability tests with customers animals. PETA does not consider this "animal testing".

Puppyluv
March 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
I think the testing Menu was doing was palatability tests with customers animals. PETA does not consider this "animal testing".

Peta is already calling on lawyers over Peta testing pets with the foods : peta (http://www.peta.org/)

worrier
March 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
so no answers from these emails yet? have they isolated the exact ingredient that has caused this yet? any chance of dry food being affected?

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
I've received no response from Timberwolf and have now sent them another email telling them if they don't clarify whether their food is made by Menu or manufactured in the affected plant, they'll be losing my business. $150 in kibble sales per month may not be much but it could add up if others follow suit because of their secrecy. :shrug:

coppperbelle
March 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
I e-mailed Canidae last night and received a response today. Pretty quick, I am impressed. I e-mailed Solid Gold in September, still waiting for my response. :confused:

This is the response I received to my e-mail. Hope it calms a few minds. It did mine.

No, Canidae is not produced at any of Menu Foods facilities or affiliated in any way with Menu foods or any of the other companies that they produce cans for. In addition, we do not purchase any of our ingredients from their suppliers. The same holds true for our dry dog and cat foods.
Sincerely,
Team Canidae

mafiaprincess
March 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Thank you Mumm.. I have about 1-2 pounds of TO left.. If they don't up their customer service or deal with their secrecy issue I won't be rebuying.. I was unamused before this pet food scare, but now.. yeesh.
Great food, crappy answers.

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah ~ I just don't get it. If I want to find out where the thread in my jeans is sourced ~ I can. But, where my dawgz food is sourced from and made is "proprietary" ??? Not good enough.

Good work Copperbelle !

One Beagle Girl
March 22nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
I emailed back and forth with Wellness customer affairs today. They said that Menu does make their canned food, but that they source their own ingredients.

She also said that the problems were limited to Chunks and Gravy style food, and Wellness doesn't make that. She tried to tell me that the problem was the wheat gluten, but when I pressed she backtracked and said they don't actually know what specific ingredient has caused all the problems.

Take that for what you will. She also told me that Menu Foods is "top notch manufacturer that receives excellent scores for food safety and quality systems".

:mad:

Also this website: http://www.petconnection.com/ states that as of Thursday AM, 840 pets deaths had been reported to them. I'm not sure how acurate that is. If true it's very, very sad.

coppperbelle
March 22nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Yesterday I read a report in Yahoo news and it stated that they do not know the source of the contamination. The FDA suspects wheat gluten but no one is sure yet.
Now Wellness admits that is contracts it's canned food out to Menu Foods. My mother feeds her little dog Wellness canned. She is going to panic.

mafiaprincess
March 22nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
I have a problem with the same plant making decent food and foods with unspecified meat sources... I don't think they could prove enough that my dogs canned food is 110% free of anything that shouldn't be there being in the same plant...

Since menu seems to make endless skeazy low end products.. They aren't top notch anything.

Skryker
March 22nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
I read on another forum that someone got a reply from Canidae stating that they have no affiliation with Menu Foods and that their canned food is made at Evanger's plant. :)

Whew! I certainly hope so! Thanks. :fingerscr

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
My reply from Natura Pet Foods (Innova, California Natural):

Natura Pet Products owns and operates two manufacturing facilities, including a new, state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in Fremont, Nebraska. Our plants are AIB Certified “Superior”, Organic Certified, USDA APHIS Registered and ISO 9001:2001 compliant. Natura does utilize Menu Foods to manufacture canned products; however, Natura maintains final review and strict approval of all formulation designs, including the types and quality of ingredients included. Menu Foods is responsible for quality control in its facilities, based upon their Good Manufacturing Practice process; a copy of which is on file in our offices. Natura has a complete and documented Product Quality reference on hand detailing the quality standards for each formula and can size produced under Natura’s labels. Each of our canned products are routinely reviewed and compared to the standards set out in this reference material. It is important to emphasize that: 1) the Menu Foods recall is specific to “cuts and gravy” products WHICH NATURA DOES NOT SELL, and; 2) Natura’s canned products are made at a facility which has NOT BEEN IMPLICATED IN THE RECALL. Since being notified of the recall, Natura has been in direct contact with Menu Foods management and have a 100% confidence level that our canned products in the market are healthful and safe.

One Beagle Girl
March 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=mafiaprincess;396462]I have a problem with the same plant making decent food and foods with unspecified meat sources... I don't think they could prove enough that my dogs canned food is 110% free of anything that shouldn't be there being in the same plant...QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly MP!

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Menu Foods is responsible for quality control in its facilities, based upon their Good Manufacturing Practice process; a copy of which is on file in our offices.

a practice apparently worth less than the paper it's printed on :mad: yeah, that is reassuring all right... buh-bye Natura!!

worrier
March 22nd, 2007, 08:48 PM
it seems that all the companies are responding with the same thing...

“cuts and gravy" “cuts and gravy" “cuts and gravy"

but how do they know it is only “cuts and gravy" if they have no isolated the problem?

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 11:17 PM
a practice apparently worth less than the paper it's printed on :mad: yeah, that is reassuring all right... buh-bye Natura!!

Actually, not to defend them or anything, but the GMPs are really important...:o It doesn't mean they follow them, I guess, but if they do, they're pretty good..:o
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodnatur/legislation/docs/gmp-bpf_e.html

Boubou
March 22nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
I sell Wellness at my shop and I will contact my rep. tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about contamination with the cans of Wellness. The problem is with the wheat gluten added to canned food to increase the protein content and Wellness contains no wheat of any kind in their foods or cookies.

I'll see what info I can get....

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 11:22 PM
hmmm according to the FDA, the source of the contamination has NOT yet been identified... until it is, I would just be wary of anything coming out of the Menu plant... :pray:

mafiaprincess
March 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
I'm with Techno. My trust is mighty low. It could be wheat.. Meat and bone meal.. something that possibly shouldn't be in any food.. alien babies..

They are makign way too much stuff in one place that is all supposed to be different. A lot of it containing really sketchy things. I'm pretty bothered even if I do rarely use canned foods.. Something about the principal of good companies sharign a plant with nasty ones...

rainbow
March 23rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
I totally agree. I very seldom use canned as I supplement with human food but I am really ticked off for the same reason. :mad:

It would be much better if all the premium companies used their own facilities or even shared. But, I just have a real hard time with a premium food being made at the same plant as Ol' Roy. :eek:

springermom0406
March 23rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
What if its not wheat? What if its chicken, lamb, rice??? That would mean its in our dry foods too. And how do I know when MenuFoods is putting Ol Roy together and throwing the corn in the mix, they arent saying "hey lets replace X in Wellness with corn". No one knows for sure. I will never buy anything coming out of Menu Foods again. Maybe I'm paranoid. Oh well. These are my pets lives. :mad:

rainbow
March 23rd, 2007, 01:10 AM
I just read that the FDA may have some answers about the cause tomorrow. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Yeah, in the meantime, I'm considering putting Boo on 100% canidae instead of 1/2 Canidae and 1/2 evo...:o

Furryland
March 23rd, 2007, 08:42 AM
But, I just have a real hard time with a premium food being made at the same plant as Ol' Roy. :eek:

That is exactly what has been bothering me since this whole thing started:sad:

qhgirl1
March 23rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Are you talking about this nature's variety: http://www.naturesvariety.com/ or is there a different one? The canned?? I was thinking about trying their frozen raw. Thanks

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
That's the one.:sad:

TeriM
March 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, in the meantime, I'm considering putting Boo on 100% canidae instead of 1/2 Canidae and 1/2 evo...:o

They process all of the kibble at their own plant. Plus evo is grain free. I would just leave him with what you are doing if it is working well for him.

rainbow
March 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
I agree. Natura has their own plant for making kibble. :thumbs up Their canned food is made at Menu Foods South Dakota plant. :sad:

Goldens4Ever
March 24th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Thaaaaaat's why!!!

Solid Gold's statement was one of the ONLY ones I found that said "Menu foods does not produce any of our foods". Most of the other ones said, "None of our foods are affected by the recall". Biggggg difference......

Oh yes! BIG DIFFERENCE. I've been looking at different sites where they state that their foods were not affected, but they didn't say that they are not produced there. SCARY. :eek:

It also is sad that Wellness & NV are produced at the same plant with those other 'lower quality' foods....it doesn't make sense to me. I am now beginning to wonder if that's where TO produces their foods. In their response, they stated that their food is produced at a plant where many other high quality foods are produced. I wonder if they consider all these commercial brands to be equal to their own. :confused:

Goldens4Ever
March 24th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I've received no response from Timberwolf and have now sent them another email telling them if they don't clarify whether their food is made by Menu or manufactured in the affected plant, they'll be losing my business. $150 in kibble sales per month may not be much but it could add up if others follow suit because of their secrecy. :shrug:

Yes, last night I did the same thing. It's beyond a matter of wanting to know where they produce their foods-we need to know now.

This is just pushing me more & more to go raw.

One Beagle Girl
March 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I'd look into TO being manufactured at Diamond. :eek:

Goldens4Ever
March 24th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I'd look into TO being manufactured at Diamond. :eek:

It used to be! When Diamond had their big recall, TO pulled out & went somewhere else & that's the mystery-where did they go? If I find out it's MenuFoods, we're going raw & that's it.

Goldens4Ever
March 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM
HEY-Where is DVP Natural Balance produced??????? From what I've read, no one has mentioned that company yet.

One Beagle Girl
March 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
It used to be! When Diamond had their big recall, TO pulled out & went somewhere else & that's the mystery-where did they go? If I find out it's MenuFoods, we're going raw & that's it.

Aha! I guess I'm a little behind the times. I know a distributor for TO - I'm going to try and find out from her.

I had just started to switch P to TO Wild & Natural from EVO (it made him chew his legs :sad: ), but with all the pet food crap thats been going on we went raw on Wednesday. :thumbs up I'm so happy we did!

mafiaprincess
March 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I never got a reply to my recent TO email so I suppose it's Orijen for us now. I have a small bag of wellness that is bothering me to own though still.

mafiaprincess
March 24th, 2007, 12:24 PM
DVP is NB

* Dry food is made at their own plant then shipped to the Diamond plant where it is bagged.
* Canned food is made at their own plant, then shipped to American Nutrition in Utah where it is canned. Natural Balance has their own line at American Nutrition and no other canned foods are run through Natural Balance’s equipment.

Goldens4Ever
March 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM
DVP is NB

* Dry food is made at their own plant then shipped to the Diamond plant where it is bagged.
* Canned food is made at their own plant, then shipped to American Nutrition in Utah where it is canned. Natural Balance has their own line at American Nutrition and no other canned foods are run through Natural Balance’s equipment.

Yes, that sounds good. That makes me feel comfortable with DVP Natural Balance dry & canned products, as we often buy their canned food to mix with their TO dry kibble.

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I really wish they would bag and can at their own plant. The more people invloved in handling the more chance of contamination.

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I never got a reply to my recent TO email so I suppose it's Orijen for us now. I have a small bag of wellness that is bothering me to own though still.

No reply from TO ......amazing. :rolleyes: :frustrated:

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Aha! I guess I'm a little behind the times. I know a distributor for TO - I'm going to try and find out from her.

I had just started to switch P to TO Wild & Natural from EVO (it made him chew his legs :sad: ), but with all the pet food crap thats been going on we went raw on Wednesday. :thumbs up I'm so happy we did!

Did the Wild & Natural make him chew his legs or the EVO?

From what I've heard, I don't know if TO even tells their distributors :sad: or, maybe they're sworn to secrecy. :frustrated: Maybe, because you know yours, she'll say something. Good luck :fingerscr :goodvibes: ....and, you must let us know if you find out. :D

One Beagle Girl
March 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Did the Wild & Natural make him chew his legs or the EVO?

It was the Evo. He had never chewed his poor legs before that! He only had a bit of TO added to one meal before I decided to go raw again.

Now I have a huge bag of TO samples that our distributor dropped off for me. :rolleyes:

I'll certainly let you know what, if anything, I find out!!

Tazette
March 28th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I sent an email to Wellness a few days ago telling them although they advise on their site that their food has not been affected by the recent recall, they're not being honest to the consumer with regards to their use of Menu Foods. I also said for the consumers sake and the integrity of their company, they should be very honest and straight forward with their use or non-use of Menu Foods, especially on their site.

I recieved this email back today:

Dear Dianne,

Menu does make some of our canned cat and canned dog foods. They make OUR recipes according to OUR quality standards.

We have procedures in place to clean between each run of food that is produced. We also inspect the plant regularly to audit their procedures. Since we take our quality very seriously we go above and beyond what is expected in the industry. We are happy to tell you that we require our facilities to pass an audit by Cook & Thurber, a HUMAN FOOD auditing firm. They have a great website that explains what they do and their strict requirements. They can be found at www.cookandthurber.com

If you have any further questions you can contact us on our Consumer Affairs line at (800) 225-0904.

I hope this puts a few people at ease that are using Wellness. I have to admit, I'm not too worried, but the fact remains Wellness doesn't agree with Sprocket at the moment.

RickyRiccardo
March 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
But isn't Timberwolf Organics kibbles manufactured at Chenango Valley Pet Foods in Sherburne, NY???:shrug:

mafiaprincess
March 28th, 2007, 11:29 AM
That would be the new info as as yesterday or the day before... They haven't confirmed it though, and so far they don't necessarily seem like the most tip top manufacturer either.

Boubou
March 28th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I called my Wellness rep. and she assured me that none of the Wellness products were made at Menu Foods. I also recieved a letter to put up in my shop for my customers to see assuring them that Wellness is not part of the recall. I am still feeding my cats and dogs Wellness (dry and canned). I do have faith in the company and hope they are being honest......

Prin
March 29th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Be careful because sometimes the reps aren't as up-to-date as they should be. The last time Wellness changed their formula, for example, the distributors apparently weren't told (from what I've heard). If they tell you there's a problem, they're telling you not to buy their food, which isn't what they're there for.;) :sad:

mafiaprincess
March 29th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Most of the lists that include manufacturers list Menu as Wellness/OMH's canned manufacturer. On the Wellness/OMH site they simply say their foods are not effected, not that they have no link to Menu.

rainbow
March 29th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I agree. Everything I've read says that Wellness canned is made by Menu.