Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Class action lawsuit against Royal Canin Canada

One Beagle Girl
March 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I don't know if anyone has heard this yet. A class action lawsuit has been launched against Royal Canin Canada. It has to do with high levels of vitamin D causing illness and death.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2007/20/c4739.html

:sad:

I hope no one here feeds Royal Canin.

edited to add:
Please note comment from link:
"The allegations raised in the claim have not yet been proven in court."

Quins-mum
March 20th, 2007, 09:29 PM
well, this adds a whole new twist to the pet food blunder!

rainbow
March 20th, 2007, 09:38 PM
:eek: Royal Canin is the comapny that makes Techni-Cal and Medi-Cal which is the food that is pushed by most of the vets in Canada. :sad: There will be lots of members and thousands of other pet owners that will be affected by this. On top of the current recall this is just mind boggling and I am just so upset that this will affect hundreds of pets. :mad:

lt_danish
March 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Whoa, not another one.

Tommysmom
March 20th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Great... just as I was feeling ok with the fact that out of a half dozen foods Tommy's been on with all his tummy issues none of them were recalled foods, now I see this. He was on Medi-cal for months. Anybody know where you can find information about which products in particular this is about? I googled and didn't find anything. I guess the good thing is that with all his issues, he's constantly had blood tests... I'm thinking that any problem caused by food would have been discovered by now.

Ugh. What lengths do you have to go to in order to keep your pets safe these days? I can't believe this. I've been emailing/calling so many folks to make sure they knew about the Menu foods recall, now I'll have to start all over again with the Royal Canin info.

Thanks to everybody who posts this stuff and keeps us all informed!

Mocha's mum
March 20th, 2007, 10:58 PM
This food crap is never going to end....:yell:

GO RAW!!! :thumbs up

erykah1310
March 20th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Ditto !!!!!!:D

rainbow
March 20th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Anybody know where you can find information about which products in particular this is about? I googled and didn't find anything.

I would try contacting the person below:

For further information: Rochon Genova LLP, 121 Richmond St. W, Suite
900, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 2K1, Telephone: (416) 363-1867, or toll-free:
1-866-881-2292, Website address: www.rochongenova.com; Himelfarb Proszanski LLP, 250 Dundas St. W., Suite 401, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2Z5, Telephone: (416)599-8080, Website address: www.himprolaw.com

technodoll
March 20th, 2007, 11:11 PM
ya know... unless you make your own petfood (raw or cooked), you can never be sure WHAT you are feeding... you are relying on someone else (aka petfood companies whose only reason for existence is to make money) for your pet's health and security. For me that's just not good enough, specially in today's crazy quest for "bigger and better with the least investment to make bigger profits"... somebody, somewhere is gonna skip security steps and pets are paying with their life :sad:

Crazy4Cats
March 21st, 2007, 05:40 AM
I believe that the recall for this Royal Canin food was made in March 2006.

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1566_2310_42020-143158--,00.html

Furryland
March 21st, 2007, 07:08 AM
I believe that the recall for this Royal Canin food was made in March 2006.

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1566_2310_42020-143158--,00.html

So is this perhaps surrounding their vet prescription diets then?

arg.. i do have some royal canin food, some of the mini 28 kibble for the smallest dog and i just started weaning some of the dogs to the natural blend technical wet food from their nutro pouches.:yell: :sad:

Cathy1
March 21st, 2007, 02:38 PM
Last year the vet put Duke on Royal Canin Calorie Control and he had bad diarrhea, it was the color and consistency of mustard. We took him to the vet and she told us to take him off the food and gave us medication for him. Then about 4 days later the vet called and told us that there was a recall because of high levels vitamin D. It was about 3 weeks after the recall we got a reimbursement cheque for the food and vet bills from the company. I have never put Duke back on that food again.

Dogastrophe
March 21st, 2007, 04:39 PM
ya know... unless you make your own petfood (raw or cooked), you can never be sure WHAT you are feeding... you are relying on someone else (aka petfood companies whose only reason for existence is to make money) for your pet's health and security. For me that's just not good enough, specially in today's crazy quest for "bigger and better with the least investment to make bigger profits"... somebody, somewhere is gonna skip security steps and pets are paying with their life :sad:

Unfortunately, even if you feed raw, you can still never be 100% sure that you are not using untainted food (unless you raise your own protein source, grow your own veggies, etc).

In 2006 there were several health hazard warnings in Canada (granted most were for processed foods): http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/corpaffr/recarapp/2006e.shtml

In the US, they had far more than us: http://www.fda.gov/opacom/Enforce.html

The mass produced low-cost high-yield food commodity industry has begun to cause far more harm than not. :sad:

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 04:46 PM
So is this perhaps surrounding their vet prescription diets then?

That's what I understand.

BLB
March 21st, 2007, 09:59 PM
I feed my shepherds royal canin and today received email from the company advising me of the lawsuit. The dog that died from this supposedly as it has not been shown yet died last year during the recall. Sera is now ill and the vet has tested her and says it is probaly the Nutro not Royal Canin. They say they have fixed the problem but in this day what do you believe I don't know but she was healthy up until this canned stuff. What company's are safe your guess is as good as mine. All I do now is pray and stay awake till all hours. Maybe this food isn't the best choice but I've owned many picky shepherds and if this is something she eats I guess maybe I'm a bad parent but I know there is no more canned in our future and maybe a diet cooked by me will be the answer but this is a wait and see time for us.

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 10:36 PM
:grouphug: BLB, good luck. I hope your baby is ok. :grouphug:

One Beagle Girl
March 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Aww, BLB, you're not a bad parent. :grouphug: No one can foresee a problem like that!

Good luck with your dog, I sure hope everything turns out okay. :goodvibes:

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
BLB, I hope Sera will be okay. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: :grouphug: Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

Shamrock
March 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
BLB... my best wishes for your Sera, I hope everything will be ok::pray: :fingerscr Such a terrible worry for you.:sad: but in no way could you have foreseen this problem.

I fed Royal Canin Poodle to my dog up until about a year ago.
I knew it wasnt the best choice, but was SO frustrated at his stubborn refusal to eat any of the better commercial brands, tinned or dry. The RC he would at least eat...seemed the lesser of the evils.:shrug:

I became more concerned, more uncomfortable with this food's quality over time - and kind of creeped out by the fact that even my 3 cats were strangely drawn to it. What was "in" or "on" this food?:sick:
I switched him over to Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit. ( thanks to Prin!:thumbs up) and to my great suprise... he didnt balk at it.

Good luck with your girl..:fingerscr :goodvibes: and keep us posted, wont you?

gypsy_girl
March 22nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
This lawsuit has to do with the recall that had last year, not sure if it was a public recall. It had to do with some of their prescription diets and the vitamin premix being overformulated with Vitamin D. They are prepared to "vigorously defend".