Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions about high protien kibble (and some raw food)

lt_danish
March 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM
My dog is 6 months old and I will be starting her transition to adult food when her current yucky food is all gone. I have made my rounds to all the smaller local pet food stores (also because the big box stores are way too far away from me where rent is cheap). They all seem to have all the brands I have been reading about on the forums that people seem to have positive feedback for.
I think I would like to try Innova EVO. But it still seems unnatural for me for an animal to live on a mono diet for their whole life. I have seen that there are a few people on here that mix 50/50 with a high food protein like EVO and something else, like Canidae. Do you also switch every bag or two? What other brands are good to 'mix'.

Here are some brands avaliable at the store I go to for food. (I forget some of the others... but most of the good ones are there)
Innova
California Natural
Wellness
Canidae
Wysong
Royal Canin
Merrick
Nature's Variety

Another option that seemed affordable for me was a raw food made buy a local company. Holistic Hound (http://www.holistic-hound.ca/). There isn't really a whole lot of detail on the site and I didn't really want to sit in the freezer and write down the ingredients but it was basicly following raw food principles. Has anyone else heard of or tried this food? They sell it at the pet food store I go to which is close to where I work... so no long term storage issues related to not enough space in my house. YAY! But the company can also deliver to my door! Also YAY!

rainbow
March 20th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I would definitely take Royal Canin (Techni-Cal/Medi-Cal) off your list. I am also not a fan of Nature's Variety.

I feed my dogs a combination of Innova (regular - not EVO) and Timberwolf Organics Wild & Natural (protein level 36%) and have had great results.

When you feed your dogs one of the higher protein foods make sure that they are drinking enough water. If they don't it could lead to kidney disease.

technodoll
March 20th, 2007, 10:43 PM
If you want to add variety to your girl's diet by feeding some raw, i strongly suggest you do not buy premade stuff (it costs a fortune and you just don't know what the whole ingredients look like, plus many contain fillers...) Just watch for grocery store sales on chunks of meaty bones (pork roasts, whole chickens, turkeys, slabs of beef, whole raw fish, etc). Then chop up into pieces she can chew on either as a snack or a meal, and there you go. Cheap, efficient, convenient and you KNOW what you are feeding ;)

One Beagle Girl
March 20th, 2007, 11:54 PM
If you want to try the Innova Evo, you could alternate between the red meat and the chicken & turkey formulas. Add in some fresh toppings a couple of times a week like eggs, salmon, sardines and you've got a non-mono diet. :)

Personally, I'd stay away from Wellness. They've made some formulation changes that IMO downgrade the food, most likely because in July they will start selling it in Walmart.

As well, I've run into a couple of quality control issues with Wysong. My calls to the company went unanswered.

And as someone else pointed out, you may want to stay away from Royal Canin.

Just my :2cents:. Good luck with your search!

Prin
March 20th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Is this a dane? If it's a dane, then nooooo way should you feed a high protein diet at 6 months... Or even at a year... As long as she's growing, you want to keep the calcium as low as possible (around 0.8-1%), and the high protein diets usually have much higher calcium % than that. :o She should already be on an adult food, but you have to check the calcium contents while choosing. You should also have a look at the bloat list and avoid everything on there... http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#Breeds%20At%20Greatest%20Riskou

Oh wait! Nevermind.:D Sorry, every time I see your name, I think you have a dane. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nevermind all that... :o

But I agree with techno (partially ;)) that supplementing with real stuff is the ideal way to go. :)

lt_danish
March 21st, 2007, 12:37 AM
rainbow - yeah I was going to stay away from Royal Canin, I read back on lots of post about it being made by the medi-cal people (the stuff my vet tried to sell me).

One Beagle Girl - Oh I didn't know Wellness had changed, or that they got a wal-mart contract. I won't go with that for that reason alone. But maybe I could convince my wal-mart loving friend to go with it (better than the other options there I think, but I haven't been in so long)

Prin - No worries, she is not a Dane, although I would LOVE a Dane (I think our lifestyles would fit well together). She is just a small Staffy/Heeler.

Thanks everyone else. I am narrowing my list. Are there any good Canadian made foods out there? I gave her a raw egg today in her bowl, in the shell, she licked it and looked at me like I was a nut.

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 12:49 AM
Are there any good Canadian made foods out there

Go Natural and Orijen are two of the best.

TeriM
March 21st, 2007, 12:51 AM
Like the new avatar pic of your baby :lovestruck: .

lt_danish
March 21st, 2007, 12:52 AM
Go Natural and Orijen are two of the best.

Oh I know Orijen is there... its hard for me to keep a mental list of them all. And I think Go Natural may be too. Are they two of the best as in foods, or two of the best made in Canada? I guess they could be both.

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 12:55 AM
Best made in Canada. ;)

lt_danish
March 21st, 2007, 12:58 AM
Like the new avatar pic of your baby :lovestruck: .
Thanks, she had enough of the one of her peeing I think. Now you can see the dog. I took it at the beach today.

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 01:14 AM
Oh I know Orijen is there... its hard for me to keep a mental list of them all. And I think Go Natural may be too. Are they two of the best as in foods, or two of the best made in Canada? I guess they could be both.

I think they're two of the best foods out there. And, definitely have the best customer service. :)

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks, she had enough of the one of her peeing I think. Now you can see the dog. I took it at the beach today.

I like your new avatar too. Now we can see how cute she is. ;)

One Beagle Girl
March 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM
I like your new avatar too. Now we can see how cute she is. ;)

Me too! She's adorable :lovestruck:.