Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recall is opening eyes

erykah1310
March 20th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I dont want to threadjack Prins recall rant thread so.

I was at the petstore today picking up Meiks food and I decided to check in the freezer for premade rabbit ( its really expensive and hard to get at the grocery store) to try it out on my dogs before we put in an order for meat rabbits.
To my suprise the freezer was almost empty!! All that was left was chicken and duck:eek:
I asked the lady where all the meat was because the freezer was always full every time I went there( thinking she was holding out on me lol) and she said that since the recall the phone had been ringing off the hook there with people asking " Is there something else I can feed my dog:rolleyes: " They arent trusting many kibbles right now.
Apparently the RAW fever has spread around here.
( this petstore lady promotes raw as well, as long as you ask her about it)

Prin
March 20th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Oh, you could have jacked my rant thread. :) ;) It's just a rant thread.:D

This recall might be the death of the commercial kibbs... Maybe... But people tend to forget really quickly. :sad:

rainbow
March 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I don't think it will have much effect on the kibble, just the canned and pouches. But, only for awhile.....as Prin said, "people forget". :rolleyes:

erykah1310
March 20th, 2007, 06:52 PM
She was saying that people are halting on dog foods all together ( for the most part)
She said her regular Mainstay clients are still buying it, but the ones who are more aware to some extent are scooping up her raw.:shrug:

meb999
March 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
people forget even faster when they're faced with a 80$ bag of food vs a 40$ bag....

coppperbelle
March 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I was concerned that people who couldn't find their food would start buying what I am feeding my dogs so I went and bought a huge bag on Sunday.

I think this recall will open the eyes of some people but there are of course those that will find another grocery store brand and not care one way or the other. I was in Metro food store today and they still have a shelf full of canned/ pouch food for both dogs and cats. :(

lt_danish
March 20th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Oh, I had never thought that is why all the shelves at my pet food store looked bare today and the freezer was empty for some brands. I just thought they missed an order, but no, the recall fallout make sense. Here hoping people that starting going to those smaller shops stick to them! Little to no options for junk type food, generally more knowledgable staff, generally locally owned. Yup sounds good!

rainbow
March 20th, 2007, 10:29 PM
She was saying that people are halting on dog foods all together ( for the most part)
She said her regular Mainstay clients are still buying it, but the ones who are more aware to some extent are scooping up her raw.:shrug:

Mainstay is one of the crappiest foods out there. I guess this recall will never get through to some people. :rolleyes: :sad:

erykah1310
March 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I know, but some people think that $7 for a 40 lb bag is a heck of a deal.

LynLyn
March 20th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend today to tell her about the recall. I've been telling her for ages that grocery brand food is garbage for her dogs (she thinks i'm nuts for cooking for my dog and feeding some raw) and she says that she'll stop using the grocery store brands. I really hope she is going to stop and not saying so to placate me.:frustrated:

rainbow
March 20th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I know, but some people think that $7 for a 40 lb bag is a heck of a deal.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said "this recall will never get through to some people". :sad:

rainbow
March 20th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend today to tell her about the recall. I've been telling her for ages that grocery brand food is garbage for her dogs (she thinks i'm nuts for cooking for my dog and feeding some raw) and she says that she'll stop using the grocery store brands. I really hope she is going to stop and not saying so to placate me.:frustrated:

I really hope so too. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: