Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it time to let my dog go to Doggy Heaven?

ownerof15
March 20th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Hello, my husband and I have a lot of pets..15 dogs, 3 cats, 14 horse's, pot belly pig, guiena pig, 2 llhamas....did i miss any?
Our oldest dog, a pekepoo, is 15. until about last year she seemed so lively and young. she has always had a bad back and we had her spayed young so not to endanger her back by having puppies. she has asthma, an enlarged palate. Last year she managed to walk into something..we have no idea what as our home is pet proof but she damaged her eye..the vet tried to save it but after a couple months it was decided to remove it. her sight in the other eye was good at the time but she has since developed cataracts..excuse the spelling please.
she has lsot weight..weighs about 6 lbs down from a healthy 14..she has been on a special vet diet..purina en..for a few years and has medicine placed on her food to help her break her food down.she'll never gain over a pound (per the vet)..she now stumbles around the house and gets lost if she moves over 10 steps..we have found her stuck in a corner many times and she can't seem to get out..lately we have had to go out in the middle of the night to find her in our dog walk/run..a narrow closed in walkway along our house that leads to a walk way in our field that ends in a large dog run..she gets confused and walks into the fence, turns and walks till she hits theother side and this continues till we go get her...closing the dog is not feasible since there is other dogs in house hold that needs to get out at night....she uses the restroom everywhere..if she walks 5 steps she must think she has made it outside cause she will stoop and pee or whatever...i can sit her in front of the door and befor she can take the couple of steps to get there she seems lost and starts wandering...i can sit her outside the backdoor and she will take a few steps, step back in house and pee..i don't think she realizes she came in the house...he wants to sleep on the bed but flls off it so much..i keep pillows on the floor around the bed so she won't hit the floor and get hurt...she doesn't see the end of the bed and walks off..if u try to make her slep on the floor she will keep trying to jump up on bed..she will do this till she is exhausted.and still try...i know her quality of life is poor but she is basically my husband's dog..sometimes he talks about puttin gher to sleep and i have offer to take her so he doesn't have to be there but i think he thinks she will get better.......should i put her to sleep or wait...is it time or is her quality not as bad as i feel it is? when is it time to let go? i would love to hear other people's opinion... .

Prin
March 20th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with your little one, but I think you have to make that decision with your husband and vet. :o :grouphug: :fingerscr

MyBirdIsEvil
March 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I think that kind of decision you and your husband have to make together when both of you feel the time is right.

Does she even still recognize both of you? From what you've said it sounds like she completely out of it and doesn't know where she is half the time.

A lot of peole have varying opinions on it, but I think once the animal can't see/smell/hear good enough to figure out where they are most of the time their quality of life is probably very poor.

It sounds like maybe you want to have the dog put the sleep but your husband isn't ready yet. I think you definately should wait until your husband is ready, since you said it's his dog.

breeze
March 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
In all honesty I would not be able to advise you. That alone is for you and your husband and vet to deside.

good luck on your choice :grouphug: :goodvibes:

Quins-mum
March 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM
My heart goes out to you and your dog.

Im sure when the time is right, you will know what to do.
take care.:grouphug:

Loves Labs
March 21st, 2007, 07:44 AM
Of course, it is never an easy decision and the time never seems right.
There is nothing harder than watching your beloved grow old and start to slow down...

It is definitely a decision you should make with your husband and vet. It is always best to keep in mind what is best for your fur-baby. Think about their quality of life...and if they are in pain or not.

I know this is an extremely tough situation and I wish you all the best. :goodvibes:

When the time is right, I think you will just know...my thoughts are with you. :grouphug:

technodoll
March 21st, 2007, 09:24 AM
some old dogs, like old humans, get dementia / alzheimer's and their quality of life in these conditions, IMO, is not worth it... her body is alive but what about her mind? what is she getting out of life these days?... sometimes you have to love someone enough to let them go. I hope you and your husband make the right decision for both yourselves and your little girl. sounds like she has had a long and good life with you :grouphug:

Mahealani770
March 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM
Gosh that is heartbreaking. To watch your baby girl run into walls, get lost in corners and then to just wander. I would be sobbing on a daily basis.

Like everyone else says, you and hubby will have to make that decision, but if it were me, I would wait (not too long) to see if she got any better or any worse. If she were to get worse, I'd want to put her out of her misery. It doesn't seem as if she can enjoy life anymore. I can only imagine how scary it must be for her when she gets lost and has no clue where she's at :sad:
I'm practically in tears just imagining what it's like to watch her try and get around.

I wouldn't want to be in your shoes for anything and I truly sympathize with you and your husband. Please post pictures of your sweet angel.

Thanks,
Mahealani
:grouphug:

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 12:56 PM
Sometimes we put off this decision because we are afraid. Putting down our much loved animals when they have reached the end of their lives is the most unselfish and loving act of kindness we can do for them. :angel:

free
March 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM
our dog also has dementia and lost eye sight for awhile plus other medical conditions but we didn't put him down he enjoyed his walks in the nice weather and most times knew to ask us to take him outback to go. do i regret not putting him down then no. my one regret was when he blew his disc a month and a half ago we treated with meds and his dementia got worse where he doesn't recognize anyone or has any clue where he is. today we are going to put him down i think because he can't stand or walk and is in pain.

Mahealani770
March 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Hello, I wanted to ask how you and your husband are doing? And how is your little one?

Also, free, I'm so sorry that you have to put your dog down. How are you doing?

:grouphug: :candle: :rip:

Mocha's mum
March 25th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about her troubles :sad: It's hard to see anything or anybody start to age and have problems. My heart goes out to you and your family :grouphug:

It sounds like she has Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (doggy equivalent to dementia). There are medications available for this disorder. I'm not saying that's what you should do, but something to look into. Mocha and I have you in our thoughts and prayers. :pray:

breeze
March 25th, 2007, 07:17 PM
how is everything going with you and hubby and your situation
thinking of you :grouphug: