Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Was/Is feeding Nutro/Max foods{long..sorry}

Furryland
March 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hello, new here:)

Anyways, i have all of my cats and dogs on nutro & Max brands of pet food, all but one of the dogs ate both the wet & dry variety.

Fortunately, i have been through all of my wet pouches and cans and NONE have the dates affected by the recall.

However obviously i am quite upset and concerned about this recall, and i am very uneasy about continuing this brand of food at all.

So i guess i am in the world of the lost and uncertain what i should do:confused:

I was able to get the fussiest dog of the group to eat a can of technical natural blend wet food with her max kibble instead of her usual nutro pouch of wet food, so looks like i have a decent alternative there?

Any opinions on this brand? {technical natural blend}

I am not sure whether i should continue with the Max kibble tho for any of the dogs, maybe i should switch out of this as well? i realize no dry foods were part of the recall however that uneasy feeling creeps in here greatly.:shrug:

If i do switch, what should i look at instead?

Next are my cats{3 ragdolls, 2 males.. aged 1yo, 18mths, 1 female 2yrs next mth} right now they eat a combo of max and nutro kibble and the same brands in a wet food style.

In the past i have tried them with wet foods from merrick, innova with them showing zero interest. They seem to favor a chunky type food and their favorite being the max pouches.

I need suggestions here for some wet food options.

For their kibble, i have been sampling the new wellness indoor kibble with a good reaction from them, so i may just wean them off the nutro/max kibbles and transfer to this kibble brand.

Any advice on how to handle all this would be greatly appreciated... :thumbs up and again :sorry: for the rambly, long post as my intro here.

Jessicagmz
March 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I don't blame you for feeling uneasy and wanting to change. I personally, don't feed anything from pet or grocery stores. I have been feeding mine Canidae all life stages to my dogs and Felidae to my cat. I am pleased with the quality and what the food has done for their coats :thumbs up

Scott_B
March 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I don't blame you for feeling uneasy and wanting to change. I personally, don't feed anything from pet or grocery stores. I have been feeding mine Canidae all life stages to my dogs and Felidae to my cat. I am pleased with the quality and what the food has done for their coats :thumbs up

Excellent choices! Also, Innova Evo makes an great quality Cat & Dog, Wet & Dry food.

Furryland
March 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks. Not heard of those before. Where can you purchase them? I have a pet value and a global pet food close to me for pet food store options.

Furryland
March 20th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Excellent choices! Also, Innova Evo makes an great quality Cat & Dog, Wet & Dry food.

Thanks.

In the past i did try some Innova unfortunately, none of the cats would eat it, either in wet or dry styles.:confused:

Prin
March 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Global might have it. :fingerscr

List
March 20th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Global and Pet Valu carry Felidae and Canidae products. My cats who didn't really like Innova Evo (we sometimes use it as a treat now) really like Felidae. They also really like Orijen, which is a little harder to find, but worth it.

rainbow
March 20th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Do you not have any small independent pet stores where you live? They are usually the ones that carry the better brands. :)

meb999
March 20th, 2007, 07:56 PM
which city do you live in?

Furryland
March 20th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Do you not have any small independent pet stores where you live? They are usually the ones that carry the better brands. :)

No, i live in a small town. I actually have to drive to the next closest town to get access to the global.

Anyways, global had the felidae.. :D i got some wet and some dry. They don't seem all that impressed with the wet, but maybe tomorrow will bring a better appetite? :p

rainbow
March 20th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Felidae is an excellent choice. :)

Furryland
March 21st, 2007, 08:26 AM
Felidae is an excellent choice. :)

Thanks.

Now the big question of all, how do i convince these ragdolls it's good?:rolleyes:

They don't seem all that impressed. I suppose just keep trying eh?

Scott_B
March 21st, 2007, 08:52 AM
switching cats can be a pita. They can be very fussy. Generally, you want to go very slow and just add a bit to their regular food, increasing the amount each day. But if your feeding one of the recalled brands, I'd suggested quicker measures. maybe add something tastey that they like.

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
I agree with Scott. I have, in the past, switched my cats directly onto a new food with no problems. Good luck. :fingerscr

Jessicagmz
March 22nd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks. Not heard of those before. Where can you purchase them? I have a pet value and a global pet food close to me for pet food store options.

Canidae is very high quality food and cannot be found in petco or petsmart etc. You can check in specialy feed stores around your area or order it online. http://canidae.com/ click on the cat section (Felidae)

Glad you were able to fing it local.

As to switching........cats tend to be very finicky (mine is). I ignored it and when he was nearly famished he ate it right up..........he now LOVES his Felidae

:thumbs up

Furryland
March 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Canidae is very high quality food and cannot be found in petco or petsmart etc. You can check in specialy feed stores around your area or order it online. http://canidae.com/ click on the cat section (Felidae)

Glad you were able to fing it local.

As to switching........cats tend to be very finicky (mine is). I ignored it and when he was nearly famished he ate it right up..........he now LOVES his Felidae

:thumbs up

I was fortunate that both my local pet valu & the global foods in the town over carry the felidae.

I am also trying some DVP natural balance which they seem to be liking more than the felidae.. i'll continue trying both though.:fingerscr

I still have no wet food, they will not eat the wet felidae and only one out of the 3l iked the wet DVP natural balance :rolleyes:

so the search for a wet food continues..:yell:

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Innova and Merrick make some tasty canned.. :shrug:

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
I can't get Felidae where I live but my cats like the DVP Natural Balance better than Innova but they will eat both.

Furryland
March 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Innova and Merrick make some tasty canned.. :shrug:

They won't touch the merrick :yuck: they are just too darn picky:rolleyes:

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 08:29 PM
merrick has tons of flavors, have you tried em all?