Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Travelling in car with kittens

heather17021977
March 20th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone,

We still havent found any kittens yet but are pre-approved with the local spca for the couple of litters they have coming from foster care in 2-3 weeks!

Anways, we are going to be headed to my son's hockey tournament April 20-22 (the kittens could be about 10 weeks old then). The drive is about 4 hours and we plan to take them with us (too little to leave home).

How would we figure out the litter box scenario in the car? We have a pet carrier for them, but would we just stop the car, take each out one at a time and let them go in the box?

Any advice on this? Once we are at the hotel it will be fine, just trying to prepare ahead of time for the car ride there.

Thanks!!!

Winston
March 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I think they would be too young to travel? It would be really hard to regulate when each of them have to go?? Is there anyone that could stay at your home kitty sitting? would be much better I think? Could they catch anything being that small and no shots travelling around?

Cindy

heather17021977
March 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Hmmm, never thought of that. SPCA will be giving their first shot before coming home. I do have people who can come over a couple time during the day but they will be so young still. Thats a lot of time away from people.

Winston
March 20th, 2007, 10:02 AM
That will be much better than travelling with them! They will have each other company.....also if you are taking them with you it must be a pet friendly place you are going to and I would be worried what they may catch or pick up! it may upset ther little tummies too! I hope it works out for you....Oh ! I just thought! maybe the SPCA would be willing to keep them just a bit longer? you are obviously committed to taking them?? just a thought

Cindy
:confused:

badger
March 20th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Ideally, they should be left with a friend. In my opinion, one or two visits a day aren't enough. Do you not know someone with a good heart and a spare room?

heather17021977
March 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM
My sister's family used to have a cat. They have 2 kids aged 7 and 5. They said they would take them at their house. They can't come to my house because I live too far away from them. Do you think having the kittens stay at their house would be traumatic? I'd like to get them used to being around different settings anyways.

clm
March 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM
As long as you think the 7 and 5 year old will understand that the kittens are not toys to be played with. Kittens need a lot of sleep.

Cindy

CyberKitten
March 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Kittens at 10 weeks should not be travelling to a game- they are too young. I could see if you were taking them to the vet but not for a game. Find a sitter. When I brought my Siamese baby home, I took a week off from work - a baby is a baby!!! They will be scared enough in a new place and new ppl - I can almost guarantee they may even be ill on the tip (as in nausea and cats hate change, esp when they have been thru so much already in their young lives.) Get a friend or a kitty sitter

heather17021977
March 20th, 2007, 02:42 PM
No I wouldn't take them to the rink, I was just wondering about the car ride to the location of the tournament (4 hour drive) and they would stay at the hotel while we were at the rink. The hotel allows pets.

I think I'll take my sister up on her offer to house them at her house for that weekend. I just know I won't want to part with them...

Stacer
March 20th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I agree its too young, but when they get a bit older they can go anywhere really.
We trained our 2 cats from a pretty young age (4-5 months) to handle car rides and weekend stays at my parents house. We didn't want to leave them home alone and my parents like cats, so we always brought them. What we did was, attached a leash to their kitty harnesses and then attached the end of the leash to the child car seat anchor in the back window dash. That way they could move around in the back seat, but couldn't get into the front to distract whoever is driving, get on the dash, under the gas pedal etc.... We also got a small litter box and put it on the floor of the back seat. Only once have they ever used the litter box while in the car, and it was horrible. They seem to hold it. We also make sure there's plenty of water in the car for them. Now we put them in their carriers because for some odd reason they've decided to hate car rides and they get kinda restless, but we don't bring them in the car as much anymore.