Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet Office Visit Q

mafiaprincess
March 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM
So out of mild curiosity what exactly does your office fee often cover when you visit your vet?

It's about time that we need to go for HW testing.. But I'm cranky because it's a 60 dollar office visit.. 22 to draw my pets blood (they collapsed three veins and got testy with me about it being Cider's fault last time..) and another 25 or so to do the HW test.. So about 107 plus tax to get a HW test.. and then were going to order our on meds this year after seeing what they were overcharging by..

Last 3 office visits we had that 60 didn't seem to cover anything at all really.. Yes it's there time etc.. but when you get hosed 60 + 35 to do an anal gland expression.. and that is ALL you went in for.. It starts to get to the point where I see why people are testy at going..

coppperbelle
March 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Heartworm blood tests only have to be done every other year if that helps.

Prin
March 19th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Last time, I had the consult fee, $37, and then the blood test, $25. I didn't have the poking fee. I find that a little bizarre.:o Does anybody else pay a poking fee? :confused:

mafiaprincess
March 19th, 2007, 10:43 PM
This is my 'other year' thank you though Copperbelle. :sad: We were allowed to skip last year, but then I got hosed a 60 dollar office visit to pay 108 for my revolution.. when Cider didn't actually even really need to have gone in the end....

So Prin wanna help me find a new vet ;) Last round of calls for vacc protocol and lyme/hw snap tests went so so badly I'm afraid to call this time.

Best advice I was given though was to start calling and say that I have a dog who needs a HW test, can I just have the blood drawn or does there need to be an office visit. However.. I don't see it going my way.

glitterless
March 22nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Your prices sound about right. Our exam fee used to be $40, but it went up to $50 this year. I never walk out of that office without spending at least $100, but it's often a few times that amount.

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 01:06 AM
Depending on the Vet ~ if our regular gal is available it's $75 for the consult, others charge $67. I get alot of their panels and titers done out of town because it's less expensive in smaller towns.

jessi76
March 22nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
my vet charges $35 a visit, which includes an exam, head to tail. Vaccinations & tests are extra.

Tommysmom
March 22nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
We pay $50 for an initial visit, $40 if it's a re-check/follow up for the same issue. That includes a full check head to tail including eyes, teeth, ears, temperature, etc. as well as a few minutes watching him play and explore on the floor to see if he's developing properly. It includes a nail trim if you ask, they never charge for that if it's part of a regular appointment. It also includes endless phone calls - when we call our vet, if he's busy he calls us back every single time... and when we're going through a sick period, he calls just to see how he's doing :) .

Wait... did I mention this includes a puppy daycare? LOL - when we had to leave him there the day before his endoscopies for some prepwork, we showed up to pick him up and Tommy was racing around the office. They had locked the front door so he couldn't get out and let him have the run of the place to play. They spent most of the afternoon playing fetch with him. I love my vet office, and so does Tommy :thumbs up .

mafiaprincess
March 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
I sucked it up and I started calling...
I have an appt monday.. 40 for just a hw test nothing else...

My own vet was 58 bucks to test, and the lady then was like well.. she probably needs a consult even though you are a client.. and that's now 62 and change......

So even more at my own vet than I initially worked it out too. HOT...

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Good luck! :) Hope the new vet is better.

Dogs4Us
March 24th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Hi
Found this great forum searching for aspirin safety for my dog, our vet's on vacation. Sorry so belated, had to join to respond to this topic:

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that MafiaPrincess, Glitterless, and MunMumMum's vet offices have many different doctors and employees (and sell things ... push dog foods like Science Diet...).

Jessi76, Prim, Tommy'sMom -- do you have just one (or two, tops) doctors at your hospitals?

We've had so many dogs over the years and were always most fortunate with our vets. Then we moved :>( There are a couple of bigger places closest to us which were quite "convenient", because they are set up for high volume. But, along with the very inflated prices, we've gotten nothing but confusion (and pressure to buy things such as Science Diet, but we know about the dog foods, thankfully).

I guess the best way I can attempt to answer MafiaPrincess' question is to compare that vet to a smaller, more intimate practice. The smaller ones may not be as convenient as far as appointment availablility, but there's a good reason. The bigger places may be fancier, but a vet who's in practice to just diagnose and treat will be just too busy being thorough and fixing your pets to be selling you Science Diet and upselling you.

Our Normal Vet is around 40.00 a visit and extremely thorough, he'll spend a good half hour himself just checking everything head to tail, after his assistant has done her thing. The places near us are 60 something and 80 just to walk in the door and the doctor is pot luck.

Our normal vet (back home) has also diagnosed in one visit what 3 different ones here had no clue about in three.

Good luck with your new Vet :>)

mafiaprincess
March 25th, 2007, 12:10 AM
No worries about being belated.. I never saw your reply till now though.

My clinic has 2 vets, and 3 tech receptionist people, but they sure do love to push their hills and science diet.

We lived in St. Catharines and I didn't think I liked our clinic.. but it was the only experience I had had. Now I kick myself. They offered low cost visit fees for anything small not really requiring an exam.. No exam fee for shots, etc..

Not sure I'll keep this clinic.. But at least I no longer feel stuck to my current one. I have choices darn it!

Now I see why so many people just never go to the vet.. yeesh.

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, that's a good point Dogs4Us.. Mine has one vet and two techs and that's it. :o

pls3775
March 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM
FYI - the american heartworm association now recommends annual heartworm testing. (it used to be every two years) I guess I equivocate it to being on birth control...you want it, you have to go in!

The place I used to go to (NC) would not charge for an office visit with a heartworm only,and the heartworm test was around $22. (low cost of living in eastern NC!)

mafiaprincess
March 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM
And...

Small clinic, no SD in the waiting room, 10 seconds to draw blood no collapsing veins and they were nice. May go there next time.... Wooooo