Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Co-workers and their pets rant!

Smiley14
March 19th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Okay, I know there's a lot of these, but I just had to rant, so sorry if you've heard all this before. I am just APPALLED at the stupidity of people sometimes.

So two of my co-workers just got new puppies within a few days of each other. One girl has never owned a dog before, and she and her husband just got a Mastiff puppy from "a farm." The poor thing is only five weeks old! And it is estimated to grow around 200 pounds. Yet they don't feel training is necessary and think they can do it all on their own...even though it's a massive breed and they have no dog experience at all. She was telling us how she was so proud that she was able to take it for a walk today without a leash!!! :eek: When I try very casually to warn her that this little tiny baby, who is too young to be away from his mother, will not remain the cute and cuddly little thing he is today, but will grow massive and slobbery and will go through rebellious periods...she just laughs at me and says, "not this dog!" ARGH. I have a feeling this one will end up at a shelter by the time he's six months old. :sad:

And then today, another co-worker proudly announced that she got a new min-pin puppy yesterday! This one, she bought at a pet store. :mad: It's three months old, is not neutured, and is currently being left in a kennel while she is here at work. :frustrated: The baby is only three months old and she is single and is gone at work for a minimum of 10 hours each day. She works the same 8.5 hours that I do, plus she has almost an hour's drive coming and going. She left him in a kennel!!! At three months old!!! When I told her that a puppy cannot be left alone that long and most certainly cannot hold it's bladder that long, she was like, "it's ok, I left a puppy pad in there with him." Argh again! I don't know how on earth she expects to potty train this poor thing or give any sort of socialization if he's spending most of his time alone in a kennel.

I am so mad, I am seething right now. It's like talking to a brick wall when trying to gently give any sort of advice. I am just sick to my stomach when I think about these two babies. When will people learn?! :mad:

Frenchy
March 19th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I had the same experience last week :frustrated: You might want to look up rescues in their area, so you'll be prepared when they ask for one :frustrated:

mummummum
March 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Yup ~ sometimes it's tempting to hope that they themselves never breed if only to reduce the number of *stoopid* people in the world.

But, here's the thing. Sometimes people aren't *stoopid* ~ they're just not in tune with the needs of other beings, they don't *get* that an animal is not a plush toy and they have no idea what it means to be responsible for another life.

So, we have a choice ~ we either educate them or we dismiss and condemn them (and their animals) to their fate.

It's possible, if not probable that these two young women will end up surrenering their their dawgz. But what if you could prevent that fate ? What if you strongly and loudly took them under your wing ?

Maybe those dawgz would have a chance.

brandynva
March 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I totally know how you feel! I know somebody at work who has three dogs. She doesn't want to fix the youngest because he is just so darn cute and she wants to breed him, or whatever the term is when you use a male. It's so innanely frustrating!!

Smiley14
March 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Yup ~ sometimes it's tempting to hope that they themselves never breed if only to reduce the number of *stoopid* people in the world.

But, here's the thing. Sometimes people aren't *stoopid* ~ they're just not in tune with the needs of other beings, they don't *get* that an animal is not a plush toy and they have no idea what it means to be responsible for another life.

So, we have a choice ~ we either educate them or we dismiss and condemn them (and their animals) to their fate.

It's possible, if not probable that these two young women will end up surrenering their their dawgz. But what if you could prevent that fate ? What if you strongly and loudly took them under your wing ?

Maybe those dawgz would have a chance.

Very true, Mum! There is always that fine line of giving unwanted advice. I'm considered the obsessed dog-lover because I've taken Petey to several training courses, I take him on trips, I have a dog-walker due to my long work hours, I feed that "expensive" food, etc. You are right, it really is just a lack of education or understanding. But telling that to someone when they don't agree and see nothing wrong with their actions and see me as going way above and beyond is challenging indeed. That is why I said I was trying to "gently" give advice. If I go about it the wrong way, they'll completely dismiss me even more. You can't push when people are convinced they are right, well, at least in my experience!
If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

mummummum
March 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Smiley ~ if I can be so bold....

You are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too angry (and RIGHTEOUSLY so my grrrrl). to be givng anyone advice.

Let's wait awhile shall we ?

~michelle~
March 19th, 2007, 10:29 PM
due to the large differences of opinions between my co workers and myself on animals rights, and how i care for the dofgs and cats i try and steer clear of any discussions on this topic, as much i i try to educate, it has made for some very awkward work shifts, and strained relationships with coworkers (one of them wanted to adopt my foster kittens to catch mice and then get rid of it, got a little upset when i said hell no.... maybe i was more vulgar though.... oops)

krdahmer
March 20th, 2007, 01:45 AM
vulgar..lol...they're lucky, I mightta slugged them for the stupidity.:mad: I have to say, many call me the crazy cat lady and really get tired of my lectures and rants, but you know if I get through to even one, that'll be one more pet properly cared for...or at least an owner better informed. Some are just ignorant and the rest like that are just unfit. Usually to care for anything. Even themselves. But most pet stores will sell to anyone...anyone!:frustrated: I got my fair share and quite an eye opener living over in the ghetto... those poor poor furbabies. And for the most part no one cares...or even notices. Heck four of my kitties came from the "oooo lets get a kitten... it's so cute... wait you have to deworm it?....shots? for what?...the little jerk peed again!... oh just put him outside...food? thats my beer money...oh someone else can take him" pet owners, who you see with a new kitten two weeks later. Talk about grrrrr.:yell:

mummummum
March 20th, 2007, 04:06 AM
At some point we have to stop dismissing *them*.They are going to have dogs whether we want them to or or not and *they* will have dog s probably for the same basic reasons. So, it's up to you and I to educate them. The trick is *how*.

sissani
March 20th, 2007, 04:51 PM
She left him in a kennel!!! At three months old!!! When I told her that a puppy cannot be left alone that long and most certainly cannot hold it's bladder that long, she was like, "it's ok, I left a puppy pad in there with him."

Well here's hoping the kennel she keeps him at is like the one I work at - usually the puppies (whether the owner pays for playtimes or not) get taken outside for potty walks and get to go outside and play with other little doggies, and usually get taken out of their pen and cuddled a million times a day because we usually just can't resist :laughing:. Plus we feel bad for the poor dogs that get left all day every day because their owners get a dog when they obviously have no time for a pet (or intelligence in owning one).

Prin
March 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Jemma was in a kennel for her 3rd month of life. :sad:

It gets to the point where you just lose total respect for people, even people you thought you knew well, because of how they treat animals.

But like they say, you can give advice now, but it might only sink in much later. You can't wait for it to hit.:o

Smiley14
March 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Well here's hoping the kennel she keeps him at is like the one I work at - usually the puppies (whether the owner pays for playtimes or not) get taken outside for potty walks and get to go outside and play with other little doggies, and usually get taken out of their pen and cuddled a million times a day because we usually just can't resist :laughing:. Plus we feel bad for the poor dogs that get left all day every day because their owners get a dog when they obviously have no time for a pet (or intelligence in owning one).

Oh sorry, Sissani, I meant a crate/kennel, not a dog kennel/day care type of place. She got a small travel crate and keeps him in there for a good 10 hours every day while she's at work. No one stops by to give him any potty breaks or attention. :sad:
Today, she was complaining that he woke up her at 7am to play. :frustrated:

Smiley14
March 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
At some point we have to stop dismissing *them*.They are going to have dogs whether we want them to or or not and *they* will have dog s probably for the same basic reasons. So, it's up to you and I to educate them. The trick is *how*.

Very true, Mum! I guess I just have to figure out how! :o

rainbow
March 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Yes, that's the big problem..... "how" to educate twits like this. :frustrated: Maybe you could email them some good informative websites. :shrug:

Smiley14
March 20th, 2007, 08:53 PM
That's a good idea, Rainbow. Thanks! It can't hurt at least!

clm
March 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Most of the people I deal with at work are pretty good when it comes to their pets and most will ask questions of the few of us who make pets an all consuming part of our lives. The few who have pets and shouldn't, are the ones of course who are the most unreceptive to good pet practices, right from where to get a puppy or kitten, why to get a puppy or kitten, how to take care of said puppy or kitten, they don't care and they certainly don't want to hear anything you have to say about it. I'm not one to mince words though, so I make sure they know what I think about things whether they want to hear it or not. They're generally not well thought of in other areas either, not surprising really.

Cindy