Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My foster cat is pregnant!

chicmate
March 19th, 2007, 01:52 PM
It turns out that the foster cat I have is pregnant. When I first got her very soon after she'd been turned in to the SPCA, and I guess she got pregnant very soon before that, so the SPCA didn't know she was pregnant. She had a flu/cold, which is why I started fostering her. She was so sick! Then she started gaining some weight, which seemed normal and then she didn't stop gaining weight. Now they've confirmed she's very pregnant and so I'm going continue fostering her until the kittens are a month or so old.

Yikes! I'm a first-time caregiver to a pregnant cat! I'm a little nervous, but from what I've been reading, the mother will take care of everything (almost), so I can sit by and watch and jump in only if needed.

I guess I just wanted to share my fostering experience! Any tips would be helpful. I've made up a few little areas in my home for her to give birth in, I hope she chooses one of them, and not my bed!

heidiho
March 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Good luck ,i am trying to help someone where i live feed some kittens who lost their mother and i could not get bottle into mouth at all,they are very squirmy and fragile,try as i might i handed them back to her,i have no great advice except it is a hard thing to do and they need to eat like every two hours and no kitten should every be away from mother......

TeriM
March 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Sorry I don't have any advice but wanted to send out some good vibes for you and the soon-to-be momma cat. Good luck and thanks for fostering :) .

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'd just like to say good luck :fingerscr :goodvibes: and thanks for fostering too. :angel: And, we'd love to see some pics later. :D