Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP! My dog is marking inside the house!

rosebury29
March 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Our 18 month old labrador who is fully trained has just started marking inside the house!!! I noticed yellow stains on stuff and liquid on garbage bags by the door, etc. for weeks until I discovered it was the dog lifting his leg (he never used to do this either) to mark with urine all over the house.
It is so gross! I love having him around but have been keeping him outside most of the time as I don't want my house full of dog urine.
He is not neutered.
Is there any solution for this?

erykah1310
March 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Neutering would be a good start.
Secondly, start the house breaking thing all over again, keep a close eye on him and teach him that it's unacceptable to mark in the house.

LavenderRott
March 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Yup.

Get him neutered.

aussiemedogs
March 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I have 2 males one that used to mark everything from the plastic bags to the wall ...chair legs etc....he was neutured at 4 months so that it would not become habitual. Do it as soon as possible.

BusterBoo
March 19th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I have an 11 month old tzu/bichon who, up until two days ago, was doing great with potty training! Since Saturday, he has been lifting his leg on the vertical blinds at the patio door. He doesn't whine to go out, he just runs to the (plastic, thank God!!) verticals, lifts, pees and keeps on moving!! Up until Saturday, he always squatted to pee....now he lifts!

He was neutered at about 5 months and is improving in so many other ways (not chewing shoes, furniture, carpets etc.)

HELP!!!!

coppperbelle
March 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM
It might be a good idea to take a urine sample to the vet to make sure it isn't an infection. I would definitely neuter him as soon as possible as it may be the cause of your problem. It is a behavioral issue so you may need to start training him as if he was a puppy again.

Jessicagmz
March 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I have a male and he wears 'belly bands with a poise pad' inside the house. He has never marked but you never know. He is uneutered as I plan to show him.......the female is spayed and the cat is neutered.

Unless you are going to show this dog, neutering is your best bet :)