Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm the WORST mommy ever!!

LynLyn
March 19th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I tried cutting Bowser's nails for the second time today and I made his back nail bleed!!!! I cut his poor little quick. :yell: I feel soo bad, he didn't even yelp or make a single noise, but now he's limping around. :sick: I don't think I can ever cut his nails ever again.

mummummum
March 19th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Nah... you are NOT the worst Mommy. The worst Mommy would let their doggy grow daggers ! I myself can't do it. I'll pay the $15 to have the Techs do it. But, I understand from others here who are regular clippers, it just takes a little practice and of course accidents do happen from time to time!

Prin
March 19th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Accidents happen... Not to me, but you know, to some people. :laughing: Seriously, I leave them too long just so I never hit the quick (Boo would FREAK if I ever hit it :o)... If he didn't notice, that's ok.:) Just don't make too big a deal about it but give lots of rewards..:o :grouphug:

LynLyn
March 19th, 2007, 02:36 AM
He got a HUGE chunk of cheese. I felt so bad I didn't stop at one piece, he got like 3! thanx guys! I feel so guilty

Prin
March 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM
It's ok. Everybody has to learn somehow, right? :grouphug: My man wanted to be nice once and he cut Jemma's quick before I caught him...:o (Thank goodness he didn't start with Boo! :eek: ). Even pros miss sometimes too. :o :grouphug:

angeldogs
March 19th, 2007, 02:57 AM
That's why i pay the 10 bucks.i would feel to sick to bad if i cut jags quick.

LynLyn
March 19th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I tried cutting myself cause I heard that the petstores (where bowser got his nails clipped) only tipped the nail and it doesn't benefit the dogs cause the quick needs to be trimmed back so the nail needs to be cut close to the quick. Oy I too scared to do that again. I've never cut a quick before so that was traumatic for the both of us

jesse's mommy
March 19th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I had to learn how to cut Jesse's nails. She became a demon anytime I tried to pay someone else do it. And now, I'm the only one who can do it and it has to be just the two of us in the house. If Daddy is home, she won't let me do it. (Damn picky dog) :frustrated:

I cut her quick once and I freaked out more than her. I truly think it bothers us more than them. Don't beat you self up too much, we have all done it at some point. :grouphug:

Dogastrophe
March 19th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I can't count the times I've cut a bit too far and caught the quick. I used to use the guillotine type clippers but found that they were too easy to make a mistake with (just get everything lined up nicely, start the cut, only to have the dog move resulting in either missing or cutting too much). I've since gone to the scissor type with the guard. Can only cut 1/8" at a time.

Mahealani770
March 19th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I'm scared to death to cut nails. It sucks!!! I'm sick to my stomach and nervous everytime I do it so I feel for you and I know how you feel!! :grouphug:

Quins-mum
March 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM
if you look from underneath the nail when you are clipping you can see where the quick begins, and therefore know how far to cut. if you clip up, (towards the animals head), instead of down, (towards the floor) and angle your clippers away from the quick you really cant go wrong. Cutting a dogs nail or a cats is not rocket science, and you dont really need to pay for it.

I am a firm believer that if you walk your dog on a footpath regularly, the nails will trim themselves... other than the dew claw. but ... i do clip my dog and cats nails... and paint the dogs nails too (dont tell anyone,... Quin thinks its normal for a male dog to walk around with red polish on his nails... hey his sister (my rottie) used to love it):thumbs up

Winston
March 19th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Its hard to cut nails but you get used to it eventually! We have all made mistake! I have a really hard time with Winstons nails because they are all brown and you can barely see the quick! He is also a strong 100lb dog and the nails are thick! I find it hard to get could clippers that make a fresh cut! Some of the clippers out there are awful!

Quins-mum
March 19th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I also find that its a good idea to try and pull off the outside of the nail with your fingers after the clipping has been done. this is easily done by puting your fingers underneath the nail, in the middle, and rubbing UP each side, from the sharp piece(which you will feel) beside the quick of the nail, this will loosen any dead bits and you should be able to pick them off.
believe me, I have been doing this for over 20 years, and none of my cats or dogs have had any nail probs.
Save your money, and use common sense. as I said before (and god, im gonna be crucified by you guys) its not rocket science.

important facts to note... get good clippers, and make one good clean cut.
and dont be scared!
if you make a mistake and the toe bleeds, put a sock on it with a tissue inside to soak the blood. If you are concered about pain ring your vet... he will prob tell you to give the dog (im not sure about cats, but most cats have white nails, so you shouldn't go wrong) half an asprin (depending on the size of your dog), every four hours.

breeze
March 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I find it very hard to cut black nails but we all made the mistake. I once cut nakitas nails and one of them bleed all over the place. there is a powder that the grommers use to stop the bleeding, can't remember what it's called. now I just go to the grommer they charge $5.00. (I can cut the white ones but not the black ones)

you are not a bad mommy !!!!!!

erykah1310
March 19th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Umm Im the quick cutting queen... My dogs dont even flinch anymore, I never made a big deal over the blood, and I guess it never made them nervous. I just put the powder on and continue on my way.
I dont sever the quick by all means lol, i just nip it from time to time.
The way I see it, we cause the paranioa in our dogs about these things, if we react badly to an accident. They're gonna remember that and get nervous.
Thats just the way I see it
Your not a bad mommy by all means. Just a caring one!

Prin
March 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
hehe, sometimes it's us who cause the drama, other times, we get a dramaqueen doggy to begin with.:D Boo used to scream and bite me when we first got him. Now he's better... ish....:D

Melei'sMom
March 19th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I do Melei's nails and she has 2 black nails, the rest are white. I have nicked the quick on the black nails a time or two, and I just keep a bag of cornstarch handy and plunk her little paw right into it and stop the bleeding.

Frenchy
March 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM
It happened to me twice , once with Daisy and once with Sam :sad: they didn't even noticed, I was the one who needed a valium afterwards. :confused:

mummummum
March 19th, 2007, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=Quins-mum;393905]I am a firm believer that if you walk your dog on a footpath regularly, the nails will trim themselves... other than the dew claw. but ... /QUOTE]

Too true ~ thank gawd for tennis balls and tennis courts. As for dew claws, get enough rock climbling in and ... gone baby, gone.

Sadly given the lack of government interest in keeping pathways etc. clear, we might have to have our daggers seen to soon.

LynLyn
March 20th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Whew!! I'm not evil incarnate!! I think i may try trimming his nails again in two weeks (that's the correct timeline right?) I normally keep them short by walking briskly on pavement, but ever since the cold, i can't keep him outside for any longer than a quick number 1 or number 2 once that's done, he wants IN!! dew claws are sooo scary! but i will try again, after all I made a bigger deal about it than he did!!