Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bichon frise potty-training problems. Help!

chloedoggy88
March 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I have a 7 year old pure-bred bichon frise who goes to the bathroom in my house. I got her from a shelter 2 years ago. Her previous owners did not fully house-break her and I have been attempting to house-break her ever since I got her, but have not suceeded.

I have tried to keep her on a consistent 'going potty outside' schedule, but I don't really know if that helps. I have been reading up on bichons on various sites and have read that they are a very hard breed to potty train. Why is this and can anyone please give me some advice on how to potty-train her? My family and I are at our 'wits end'! I would appreciate any tips/advice that anyone can give.
Thanks!

Lissa
March 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
It sounds like you are going to have to go back to the beginning. Treat your Bichon like a puppy - which means a pee/poop break every couple of hours. Teach her a "go pee/poop" command by rewarding everytime she does her business outside with a treat (repeat your "go pee" command while she's doing it!).
It is also very important to restrict access - either by keeping her in a crate, a room or tethered to you. She shouldn't have the run of the house or be unsupervised in the house until she is house-trained. Most people house-break a dog with the use of a crate because it keeps the dog contained in a small area and dogs generally won't soil where they sleep. Having said that, you need to give her lots of opportunities to pee (and slowly build up her bladder control) - otherwise she could have an accident and that would ruin the crate as a non-pee-spot!

You must completely clean your house with an enzyme cleaner...This is especially important if you have carpet because the smell is so hard to get out... Your Bichon will continue to potty indoors unless you get the smell out!

And given her age, you may want to take her to the vet and see if she has any bladder or other health problems that could be causing this.

Good Luck!:)

chloedoggy88
March 19th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Thank you so much for the great advice! I am going to start the training right now!

JoJo41201
March 27th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I have an 8 month old Bichon Frise and I to am having problems with potty training her. We got her in October and we started to wee-wee pad train her because she was very afraid to be outside. However, in no time she learned what she had to do. In fact she had it down to a science. . .never missing. Now, she will just pee wherever she is whenever she feels like it. How do I reverse this? Is it too late? What do I do now?

BusterBoo
March 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I have an 11 month old (nutered) tzu/bichon and he has started peeing in the house (again!). I have bought a crate and we are working on crate training him as I can't afford to keep getting my carpets cleaned.

His latest trick is lifting his leg on the blinds on the patio door :frustrated: Really impresses hubby.....