Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone from Montreal area, I have a question.

lt_danish
March 18th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I am a British Columbian, born and raised. I currently live in Victoria. My partner is from Montreal and has been here about 5 years now. I am currently finishing up my BSN degree and will be a registered RN very soon. I think all the provinces except Ontario and Quebec are on the same registration for nurses but we have our own unions etc...
My partner is dying to move back home and can't handle this super laid back town, lack of seasons weather... the list goes on about BC. I am willing to attempt to relocate myself towards the east in 4 or 5 years or so.
I speak NO french and only had up to grade 11 french in highschool, which is a bit of a joke if you are thinking in terms of being able to communicate with actual french speaking people. My partner is 100% billingual so can try to help me out with my learning. But I NEED to be very billingual both written and spoken in order to be a nurse in Quebec.
Are there any sort of language programs offered for newcomers? I need something very very focused and intensive. What could I do while I am still out here in BC to start the process? Maybe I am just a lost cause.

cpietra16
March 18th, 2007, 06:35 PM
There are lots of programs to choose from. I can't believe he wants to come back. I lived in BC for 20 years, came back, nowcan't wait to go back. Anyway There is a shotage of nurses in MOntreal. A friend of mine also had minimal french. The hospital wanted to keep her and actually had someone teach her and help her pass the test. The school boards have adult education where they offer french courses. I know of the Lester B. Pearson School Board, and the Greater Montreal English School board to start with. Good luck.
By the way my husband is from the west coast and he came back here without any french. He finds the classes at the Lester B. school board pretty good.

Prin
March 18th, 2007, 06:37 PM
lol , are you kidding?! The provincial government does everything it can to get newcomers to speak French.:D You can do courses pretty well anywhere, either at university or other sort of colleges. Or you could just have conversations here with Frenchy and Meb.:D

You should be bilingual to be a nurse, but I'm sure there are some places that are mostly English speaking (I'm thinking more like retirement communities) that you could work at while you're learning. :shrug:

coppperbelle
March 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM
There was a story back a few years ago where two nurses who had been working here failed the French exam and had to stop working until they could. Shortage or not if you are not fluent in the official language you are unlikely to get a job in a hospital. There are of course other places to work as a nurse where you would not have to write an exam. For example nursing homes and private individuals.
There are all kinds of places to learn the language but it is not an easy language to learn and will take time. If you are only planning on moving in 4 or 5 years you may want to start now.

Frenchy
March 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Or you could buy a depanneur, no need to speak french nor english :D

badger
March 18th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Call the Alliance franšaise (250) 385-9330 and ask if they give classes. I can tell you they beat anything else I have found hands down. The classes are generally in the evening - 2 or 3 hours once a week - and focus on speaking, writing and reading all at once, which I think is the best approach, each one reinforces the others. It is fairly demanding (tests, homework, etc.) but if you get a good teacher and have the motivation, you will definitely benefit.

Frenchy - ha ha!!

coppperbelle
March 19th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Or you could by a depanneur, no need to speak french nor english :D

This is so true. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Breezer
March 19th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Or you could by a depanneur, no need to speak french nor english :D

Zipping my lip frenchy.....:laughing: :D

chico2
March 19th, 2007, 07:40 AM
When we first came to Canada,hubby used to teach French at Berlitz,but mostly to government people,a very intense quick way to learn French,but rather expensive..
If you already have the groundwork from high-school it should be easier.

marsupial mama
March 19th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I was going to suggest Alliance Francaise too. They have places here (GTA) so they may be in BC as well. At the very least there must be conversational French etc in night school.

French isn;t so hard, especially if you have the basics from high school. Arabic or Chinese on the other hand...!! :laughing:

Good luck with the learning. Going there and being "immersed" wll really bring on your language skills.

Prin
March 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Yeah, latin languages are easier than others to learn because you know the basics already. It's just about rearranging the words and adding accents.:D