Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

stray cat

ponty monty
March 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM
we have our own cat which we have had for four years now and she is used to being the only animal in the family.
There has been a young stray cat hanging around for about four days now a lovely natured cat we do not really want another cat but have rung everyone we can to help, with no luck.
We are worried that if we take this cat in that our cat will run away, has anyone had simular experiences.
Can you give any advice please?

chico2
March 18th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Why do you think your cat would run away???
Is she an outdoor cat?
I would take this young cat in,but keep him in a seperate room,until he has a clean bill of health I would not mix the 2 cats.
Introducing them to each other will be a slow process,there are lots of people here who have done the same,just be patient and someone will come along and help out with advice:thumbs up

badger
March 18th, 2007, 06:35 PM
If he hasn't been neutered, I would have that done before you bring him inside. The odour of an intact cat will not help the integration process! As Chico said, confine him to one room with a litter box, a comfy bed and his dishes. Try to spend a little time with him, make him feel welcome. Your cat will probably sniff under the door, even park himself there, out of curiosity. He won't be running anywhere, he has territory to protect!
After a couple of days, switch their blankets so they can get used to each other's scent. After a few more days, when the new guy has begin to relax and explore, bring your resident cat into the room and see how it goes. Hissing at the beginning is normal as is hiding, intense curiosity mixed with fear, all that. Aggressive stalking and fighting are not and if that happens, separate them immediately. The trick with cats is to let them lead, accept that their fear and anxiety are part of the process and that over time, cats can generally sort things out.
Good luck. Thanks for taking him in, he's a lucky boy.

kashtin's kin
March 21st, 2007, 01:38 AM
All my cats are strictly indoors now (live on busy country highway), but as 4 of my original 7 cats died at ripe old ages, I've 'integrated' a couple of strays and a couple of gentled-by-me feral kittens over the past few years. There's always an adjustment period, but everything has always worked out fine...just need to be patient, have separate room/area for new cat at first, and use common sense.

When I lived on a more isolated farm, I had indoor/barn cats; the odd stray stopped by and stayed, and my original cats did not run away. If you have more questions, do post again and 'ask anything!" (it helps if you have specific questions). I have gotten tons of great advice from quite a few very experienced cat people :cat: on this board-encouraging and totally nice folks!:D