Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ms. -- help dogsitting pregnant pitbull

Miriam
March 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Hi! I am taking care of My son's PitBull that is due any minute or day now and I wanted to know how I can help her, She looks scared. She is a beautiful Dog with a very Gentle disposition.

cpietra16
March 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I never had a dog who was pregnant, but if I happen to come across a pregnant stray, I would call my vet so that I could make an appointment to make sure everything goes well and ask for all the advice that they can give. I hope you have good homes for the puppies. With all the dogs killed in shelters because of nowhere to go:sad: Can't understand why add any more to the world:shrug:

rainbow
March 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I agree. Please call the vet for advice and then ask your son to have his dog spayed. :)

lt_danish
March 18th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the board. Sounds like something last minute that you needed to take care of his dog. Did he leave a telephone number or contact information for her vet? If not maybe someone on here that lives closer to you knows of a reputable vet to call. If she looks scared she probably is scared... remember yourself having your son? (that is if he is your biological child... which is not of importance here)
I have never had a pregnant dog, but I unfortunatly have a relative who is a BYB. I was at their home when their dog was ready to give birth and they just made sure she had a nice quiet private area in the house (an area in the living room). Sorry I forget what else they had around to help her. Now I wouldn't exactly say a BYB is doing things right... but the litter was ok.
I agree with the others about spaying the dog. I would have an honest conversation with him about getting her spayed. Although that may already be the plan right!? ;)