Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

adventures in tree goo, what to do?

RolandsMom
March 18th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Roland, being up the tree for a good 40 minutes now has little bits of goo on him. you know the sap? not much at all but whats there its sticky as hell. doesnt seem to bother him in the least (as you all probably know by now it bothers mommie more). is that stuff okay for him to lick? i assume he is not the only cat who loves the spruce trees and im sure it will not be the last time it happens, just thought i would ask you guys what you think. (he hasnt been licking and theres not enough to be of much concern, so its purely out of curiosity on my part!)

rainbow
March 18th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I've heard that peanut butter works. :shrug:

Stacer
March 18th, 2007, 12:27 AM
As a professional tree person, I can say that spruce resin isn't harmful humans and I would assume that it would be the same for cats. In fact, pine resin is used in Buckley's cough syrup. Spruce needles can be boiled to make a tea (but it doesn't taste very good). I think Roland should be fine. I can't think of anything that would get the resin off of fur though. Soap and water doesn't do it. Perhaps try rubbing alcohol, or maybe vegetable oil.

Stacer
March 18th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Oh yeah, apparently spruce and pine resin can be used to get rid of cold sores.

RolandsMom
March 18th, 2007, 12:30 AM
lol. Rainbow ,that would be hilarious. i know it does work on human skin (ive used it) really well but to put little patches of peanut butter on Roland would be pretty funny! thanks Stacer. thats what i thought, just thought i would find out anyway.

rainbow
March 18th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Well, it would keep him entertained so he doesn't want to go outside. :D

I know it isn't harmful but it looks yucky and is sticky and annoying. :frustrated:

Prin
March 18th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Rubbing alcohol doesn't work so well.:o Whenever I get Christmas tree sap on me, that's what I always think of first and it never works. :o

badger
March 18th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I hear butter works on resin. Work it in with your hands and try to comb out the resin. He'll enjoy licking up the leftovers. Bad boy, he's got you going!