Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! My cat is evil.

KimandAutumn
March 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Ginger the cat likes to race around the house at night, play with things, try and look out the living room while getting tangled up in the blinds. Of course, we (hubby, myself, and Autumn the dog) would really like him to just sleep like the rest of us do. I realize cats are nocturnal.... is there anything I can do to reduce his activity at night? Him and the dog play pretty good in the evenings and we play with him after supper in hopes that all this will tire him out but no such luck. I think he sleeps all day when we are at work.

MyBirdIsEvil
March 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM
You can try to get him to play with appropriate toys. Try finding things that he likes and playing with them with him in hopes that at night he'll play with them on his own. This might deter him from hanging on the blinds and stuff like that.
Other than that I don't know what to suggest. Since you're gone all day at work, like you said he's probably sleeping, so he'll always be up at night getting into things.
That's what cats do :p
Just about every cat I've ever had is up at night playing with my other kitties or going places they shouldn't be. It's like an unsupervised toddler. You can direct them towards appropriate items while you're around, but there's no guarantee they won't get into things when you're not watching.

I have 4 cats, so I catproof my house as much as possible (no types of blinds they might rip, nothing valuable left out that they can break, etc.), and still wake up sometimes, wondering "how the heck did they do THAT?"

RolandsMom
March 17th, 2007, 11:02 PM
:crazy: :laughing: thats funny! i have a 6.5 month old kitten and i have been lucky enough to be home a lot in the day. i have pretty much trained him to be awake most of the day and sleep most of the night. somedays we slip and with no explanation (even if hes been awake for most of the day) hes awake and playing (specifically trying to find my toes under the duvet) at 2:30am. i get up, give him a treat and go back to bed and he seems to amuse himself quietly after that till 6:30 when he thinks i have slept enough and comes for a cuddle. we bought a lazer which we play with at night and get him running around as much as possible. try to keep him awake from the time you get home till you go to bed.
some cats are just totally nocturnal unfortunately and theres nothing you can do but as mybirdisevil says try to find him toys he really likes ( we have a big cat tree and the plastic springs). other than that, close your door and you will soon sleep through the noise!

rainbow
March 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM
The only thing you can do is try to tire him out when you're home. Have you tried using a flashlight to shine on the wall/ceiling for him to "chase"? You can also use a laser light but be very careful not to shine it in his eyes.

CyberKitten
March 18th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Yeah, lasers are good toys but very dangerous if shone in the eyes- can ruin the eyes!! (and I don't say that lightly!! Researched it after someone told me that and I thought - oh yeah you're just trying to scare me so use them but use with great caution!!!!)

Many cats are nocturnal but can be trained to adjust to your schedule esp is started when they are kittens!! When I was younger with kittens, I used to just let them run all over and wake up top God knows what - if when they were enclosed in a certain area but realized if they were tuckered like me at the end of a day, they;d sleep!! So now we all go to bed at the same time, Cats need more sleep than wwe do anyway - and they like to sleep!! So training is the only thing you can do and it is actually pretty easy to do.

So, no you don't have a devil cat - just a night hawk who needs help, :) Good luck!!!

muskokapuss
March 31st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Ginger the cat likes to race around the house at night, play with things, try and look out the living room while getting tangled up in the blinds. Of course, we (hubby, myself, and Autumn the dog) would really like him to just sleep like the rest of us do. I realize cats are nocturnal.... is there anything I can do to reduce his activity at night? Him and the dog play pretty good in the evenings and we play with him after supper in hopes that all this will tire him out but no such luck. I think he sleeps all day when we are at work.

I have two cat's that are absolutely crazy at night, so I try to keep them active during the day....I see that since you and your hubby are at work you don't have this option, so the other thing I have tried that seems to work well is to give them a little catnip in the early evening, and let them go banana's for a couple hours then they tend to wear themselves out and go to sleep......As far as the blind goes, are you able to leave the blind open and wind up the cord??? That's what I have had to do with my blinds because my 25lb Ty-D-Bowl seems to think that blinds are made for him to play with and get hung up in....I have tried all sorts of training techniques, but the pull for him to play in the blinds is just too strong, so now I open (pull the blind right up to the top of the window) and wrap the cord up so he won't strangle himself. The other thing we do is to flash a laser light (just a little red led light that we got at the dollar store) and flash that on the wall and the floor and let them both chase it, they really LOVE it...it's their favorite toy, in fact my Trouble cat will go to the cupboard that I keep the light in and meow and wait for me to get it when she wants to play. I hope that this helps you....Good Luck!!

puss:cat:

clm
March 31st, 2007, 10:35 PM
My big male stray indoor/outdoor cat is great at night, his only problem is he wakes me up at 3:00 to go out every morning.
The 3 girls however, are crazy for at least an hour after we go to bed. Us going to bed seems to be their wake up call. All 3 of them run around like crazy cats. I have 2 floor to ceiling cat trees and 2 cat houses on carpeted poles, so they don't usually damage the blinds, it's the endless running up and down the stairs and up and down the hallways that keeps you awake. We're used to it, and I know they'll grow out of it in another 7 or 8 years. :laughing: Then again, they may not. :p

Cindy

Edgewaters
April 1st, 2007, 10:29 AM
One of my cats is named Diablo, because he is a devil. Sometimes I even suspect he is THE Devil. :evil:

Sometimes you just have to get used to these things and learn to love their badness.

The only thing I can really suggest is that you make sure you never reinforce the behaviour. Don't ever feed him in the middle of the night to get him to be quiet, don't get out of bed to chase him (that's fun!), don't pick him up and try to love him to sleep, etc.

I often find that the best thing to when you are having a bout of this sort of problem is to try to have a big game session before bedtime, and then a feeding. They often settle down after eating and sometimes even will sleep undisturbed for a very long time.

I don't think that there really is a "cure" though, you can get them to be less active at night but it's pretty hard to actually get them to stop.

Ginger the cat likes to race around the house at night, play with things, try and look out the living room while getting tangled up in the blinds.

Make sure you bundle the pullcord somewhere up high where there is no possibility of kitty getting anywhere near it. Cats have been known to hang themselves on the pullcords. It would be really best if you could raise all the blinds at night, or at least the ones he has the most trouble with.

Scary
April 11th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Sometimes you just have to get used to these things and learn to love their badness.

The only thing I can really suggest is that you make sure you never reinforce the behaviour.

AGREED... my cat bites, and bites HARD when she's irritated - always has, probably always will. I've trained some of it out of her and learned her signals, but she is who she is.
Guess I shouldn't have made my fingers into toys when she was a kitten, but she is my first and only = live and learn! :p