Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wal-Mart: The high cost of low price

lt_danish
March 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Has anyone else seen this documentary (http://www.walmartmovie.com/)? Its been around for a couple years now it think, but I just rented it last night. I have never been a Wal-mart fan and maybe go there once a year. Maybe its the little Canadian inside me telling me to support locally owned and locally made things instead, but this film made me feel better about my thoughts in doing so. I am sure this is the extreme side of the story, but it made me really sad to watch.

mummummum
March 17th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I haven't seen the documentary and I don't dare download it from the link given my computer but I never shop at at Walmart. They are market bullies who don't care about anything but the almighty $$$ and could care less about the workplace conditions/sweatshops and payrates of people who produce their products. Just look at the tens of millions of dollars in legal fees they have spent to block unionization. That's enough proof for me.

Prin
March 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM
It's also the whole "made in China" thing too... We've lost most of our manufacturing jobs, and I think it's time we choose our products a little more carefully.:o

Stacer
March 17th, 2007, 11:38 PM
We saw it shortly after it went to video. We didn't shop much at Walmart to begin with, but after watching it we don't at all. It's ahorrible company that is only concerned with their bottom line. When a multibillion dollar company is instructing its employees on how to properly utilize government assistance programs because they're not paying them enough, there's gotta be somethign wrong. They've got a huge monoply on every corner of the consumer market place. The always seem to be expanding the types of product they sell. I just heard yesterday that Walmart's plans to open their own bank has been nixed, it's a good thing because people would use it. Therefore they put their money in the Walmart bank, said bank charges them bank fees and then these same people go and spend their money at Walmart stores. Walmart basically has all of their money at all times, sickening.

jesse's mommy
March 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I too can't stand Walmart, but the sad truth when you are on a budget and trying to pay off a ton of bills is that there really isn't much choice. Their prices don't compare with their competitors. If I had my choice I would support the mom and pop independent owned stores, but I need to stretch my dollar the furthest I can. I wish it wasn't the sad truth, but it is. :sad:

Frenchy
March 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I've been boycotting Walmart for years now. I cheated last year, just once, to get the DG cam. And I do feel bad about it. :sad: But it was just this once.

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I too can't stand Walmart, but the sad truth when you are on a budget and trying to pay off a ton of bills is that there really isn't much choice. Their prices don't compare with their competitors. If I had my choice I would support the mom and pop independent owned stores, but I need to stretch my dollar the furthest I can. I wish it wasn't the sad truth, but it is. :sad:

That is so true. When you are talking about saving dollars on items instead of cents, you really have to bite the bullet and shop where the savings are. And we are talking saving $3 on a can of coffee, $1 on a gallon of milk, $2 on bottled water, $2 - $3 on a box of cereal, $4 on huge packages of toilet paper and $1 - $2 on lunchmeat and cheese. If these are things that you buy every week - you can save enough to buy even more groceries. And these aren't storebrands. I use Maxwell House coffee, Oscar Mayer lunchmeats, Kraft cheeses and Charmin toilet paper.

Stacer
March 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM
There's gotta be other stores in the US that sell cheap that don't do all of the horrible things that Walmart does. What about Target or Kmart? In Canada we have Zeller's which is just as cheap as Walmart in most cases, but because of Walmart's hostile takeover of the Canadian marketplace, Zeller's stores are dwindling. IMO it takes just a little more effort on the part of the consumer, but you can find items just as cheap and you don't feed the Walmart machine.

Frenchy
March 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I'm with Stacer, there's other stores. Owning a house by myself, I now about tight budget. It would be very easy for me to shop at Walmart, I worked at the same place for 7 years now, Walmart is just across the street . But I choose to go elsewhere. Even if it's not easy for me, living in the country , where there's not too much stores. But I manage. There are others stores that offers same quality as Walmart for the same prices. I don't condemn anyone that goes there, but if the only reason is for cheap bargain prices, there other places to go. :shrug:

cpietra16
March 18th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I'm a Zellers Girl:thumbs up My husband refuses to go to Walmart. But in all honesty, the mighty dollar talks very loud and the reason they are in business is becasue people just can't afford to go anywhere esle. Walmart is getting bigger and more stores will suffer, that is life on earth as we know it....Unfortunately people only change after a rude awakening. So I'm waiting for that day, or when hell freezes over, which ever comes first.
:rolleyes:

lt_danish
March 18th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Too bad there aren't more people into the co-op movement. I have never heard of a co-op store here (not the company but the concept) but I know there is a co-op grocery store in Vancouver. They focus on trying to bring in locally made/grown stuff at a wholesale cost. You have to buy into the co-op, but in the end you save big dollars!
Wal-Mart has killed lots of those little ma and pa stores even if you did have the extra $$ to spend at their stores. So sad. I wonder how long until they start having kittens and puppies in their pet section to go with those sad diseased fishes? :(

jesse's mommy
March 18th, 2007, 01:09 PM
There's gotta be other stores in the US that sell cheap that don't do all of the horrible things that Walmart does. What about Target or Kmart?

Unfortunately they don't have the selection a Walmart Supercenter has. Kmart doesn't really have big a "grocery" department and neither does Target, unless you go to a Supertarget. I have a Walmart Supercenter about a mile from my house and the closest SuperTarget to me is about 45 minutes away, so then I spend my savings on gas. :sad:

Trust me with the job I do, I'm in and out of stores all day and am constantly comparing prices of things I need within each of my accounts and you can't beat the prices at Walmart unless there is a special BOGO in a store with a coupon on top of it. I'll give you an example, a box of our Cheez Its are $2.77 regular price in Walmart, in my other accounts the next lowest price is $3.59. It's a dollar, but it adds up when you have a full cart of stuff. :sad:

Prin
March 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, that's one thing we realized when we moved up to the middle of nowhere. There are farms all around, and they're expensive farms, but we try to support them when we can, even if our budget is tight. Why support a strawberry grower in Mexico when you have one down the street? :shrug:

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Too bad there aren't more people into the co-op movement. I have never heard of a co-op store here (not the company but the concept) but I know there is a co-op grocery store in Vancouver. They focus on trying to bring in locally made/grown stuff at a wholesale cost. You have to buy into the co-op, but in the end you save big dollars!
Wal-Mart has killed lots of those little ma and pa stores even if you did have the extra $$ to spend at their stores. So sad. I wonder how long until they start having kittens and puppies in their pet section to go with those sad diseased fishes? :(

Actually - our local Wal-Mart has stopped selling fish so I doubt that they will be moving into the live puppy/kitten market.

Wow. It is kind of amazing that one would think that those of us who shop at Wal-Mart haven't looked at our other options.

The sad fact is this - when you are making $1100, pay $950 in bills, put gas in a vehicle and feed three people and three pets, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and shop where things are cheapest. Even if it does stink, morally.

grand cherokee
March 18th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I'm headed to walmart tomorrow with a smile on my face which will get even bigger when i realize the savings on the items i will buy there. Those savings which allow us to live a little bit more like human beings than government feeding machines.

lt_danish
March 18th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Wow. It is kind of amazing that one would think that those of us who shop at Wal-Mart haven't looked at our other options.

I didn't mean to suggest that people haven't tried to think of other options. I think the way it turns out is that there just aren't enough people to make anything else a go. And yup, Wal-mart is the cheapest place to get almost everything! Especially is one lives in a smaller are and there aren't any other options.

I have been a starving student for the last 4 years of my life (only a few more weeks to go). So having had no real job or income for the past 4 years makes it really really tempting to go there. Hmm... well I can see myself just going off on some tangent here that is more of a rant that well thought out words...

Stacer
March 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I'm headed to walmart tomorrow with a smile on my face which will get even bigger when i realize the savings on the items i will buy there. Those savings which allow us to live a little bit more like human beings than government feeding machines.

You're just feeding another machine and I assure you the people that work there are not living like human beings. IMO I feel alot better giving my money to the government cause I know for the most part where my money goes, maybe it doesn't always go where I'd like it to, but I know I can make my voice heard with my vote when I disapprove.

In contrast, Walmart keeps every cent that it makes, the Waltons hoarde their money, of highest earners in the US, the Walton family gives the least to charity compared to someone like Bill Gates who gives something like 50% of his earnings to charity (and yes I know it has to do with tax breaks) . Walmart keeps most of their employees living below the poverty line so they can keep giving you the low prices.

Like I said in an earlier post they instruct their employees on how to utilize government assistance to supplement their Walmart income. They don't even provide necessary medical coverage so that employees can get prescriptions or medical help. It is a company with no conscience. They make billions of dollars a year yet they can't give their employees the basics.

Not to mention the fact that Walmart is destroying the downtown districts of every city and town that it opens up in because most small businesses that were the life blood of the community cannot compete with Walmart. There are so many things that are horrible and bad that completely outweigh the savings.

I'm not rich, I could benefit greatly by shopping at Walmart, but I choose not to. Unless you've seen the documentary you can't full appreciate the evil that is Walmart.

lt_danish
March 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
...Unless you've seen the documentary you can't full appreciate the evil that is Walmart.

Yup, agreed. But also, if you want a real view just ask an employee... or find an ex employee. Some of them are happy because a job is better than no job, but many of them aren't so happy. Sadly wal-mart, in bringing down prices and forcing smaller shops to close also eliminated many other job options. I don't claim to think that all of the workers are unhappy, as I am just forming my own opinions based on personal experiences related to me by friends who worked for them.

:offtopic: Has anyone heard of the 100 mile diet? Its not really a diet as in loose weight but a movement that is following hot on the heals of the organic food movement. The basic thing is that you aim to buy all of your food that has to travel no more that 100 miles from its point of origin. For example I could by chicken that was raised on a farm just outside the city, but not on a farm half way across the country. Just thought of it cause it helps to keep things cheap if they don't have to travel far.

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Not to mention the fact that Walmart is destroying the downtown districts of every city and town that it opens up in because most small businesses that were the life blood of the community cannot compete with Walmart. There are so many things that are horrible and bad that completely outweigh the savings.

That is great propoganda and sooo not true. I live in a relatively well populated area and many other big businesses had done in the "mom and pop" stores long before Wal-Mart opened it's doors. Heck, by the time I graduated high school in "82, most of the "mom and pop" places were nowhere to be found.

Again, I don't agree with much that Wal-Mart does but the fact remains that if it weren't for the money that I can save there on staples, there would literally be no meat on my family table.

Prin
March 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM
The thing is there are always better options. :shrug: It's just easier to put ethics aside and find them all in one place.

Stacer
March 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I originally from a small city, population 30,000, and when Walmart came to town, in wasn't long before the downtown core had vacant storefronts. BTW the Walmart phenomenon is relatively new in Canada, so I think people here are having a hard time grasping how this company works to envelope a community. By the time the people realize what has happened it's really too late. Economic monoply.

Frenchy
March 18th, 2007, 07:14 PM
You're just feeding another machine and I assure you the people that work there are not living like human beings. IMO I feel alot better giving my money to the government cause I know for the most part where my money goes, maybe it doesn't always go where I'd like it to, but I know I can make my voice heard with my vote when I disapprove.

In contrast, Walmart keeps every cent that it makes, the Waltons hoarde their money, of highest earners in the US, the Walton family gives the least to charity compared to someone like Bill Gates who gives something like 50% of his earnings to charity (and yes I know it has to do with tax breaks) . Walmart keeps most of their employees living below the poverty line so they can keep giving you the low prices.

Like I said in an earlier post they instruct their employees on how to utilize government assistance to supplement their Walmart income. They don't even provide necessary medical coverage so that employees can get prescriptions or medical help. It is a company with no conscience. They make billions of dollars a year yet they can't give their employees the basics.

I'm not rich, I could benefit greatly by shopping at Walmart, but I choose not to. Unless you've seen the documentary you can't full appreciate the evil that is Walmart.

Great post Stacer , I second everything you said. I still say people can find other stores with same prices, I know I can ! And I don't live near the city.

Prin
March 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I originally from a small city, population 30,000, and when Walmart came to town, in wasn't long before the downtown core had vacant storefronts. We had that happen in Quebec when Loblaws took over everything and put the small guys all around out of business. :sad:

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2007, 07:26 PM
The thing is there are always better options. :shrug: It's just easier to put ethics aside and find them all in one place.

No. Prin. There aren't always better options. Right now I have about $200 to buy groceries and gas with for the month. There are NO small, less expensive stores to buy the staples that I mentioned above within 20 miles of my home. I know - I looked. To go further would negate the savings because of the amount of gas it would take to get there.

I'm really sorry if you think that I just go along on my merry way, ethics be darned. That certainly ISN'T the way I live my life. And if I didn't have children, I would do without some of those staples so that I could afford to go to an "approved" grocery outlet to get what I need. But the fact of the matter is that I DO have children and they require food. So, I have to make the choice to save where I can and put my ethics aside.

Prin
March 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I'm really sorry if you think that I just go along on my merry way, ethics be darned. That certainly ISN'T the way I live my life. [...] So, I have to make the choice to save where I can and put my ethics aside.Exactly what I said. ;) Too bad that Walmart kills all the stores around it or you might have more options closer by. :shrug:

lt_danish
March 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Its all so cyclical and frustrating. Maybe if people could spend the extra dollars each month to support local buisness and locally grown/made merchandise then there would be more local jobs. Jobs with more of a sense of community, maybe even jobs that paid a decent wage and offered decent benefits... then people could really afford to pay those few extra dollars each month. Oh but where to start.

LavenderRott you seem very passionate and want to offer the best for you family. Good for you, thats better than some parents out there! Do your kids have lots of friends who parents are as frustrated about making ends meet? Maybe you could carpool one day every couple weeks that 20 miles away to the place with better options? Saves gas and could be fun times with family and friends! Maybe you could even buy something in bulk and split the cost with other families. Its hard for me to say, I don't know you or your family.

Prin
March 18th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Maybe you could even buy something in bulk and split the cost with other families.That's a good idea. My man always wants to do that, but I'm a stuff-hog and I don't like to share my toilet paper.:D