Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shelties not playing together anymore

marian
March 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
We have two shelties who have always gotten along great/played/etc. They are 2 and 1 yrs. old. Since last week when they were left in their cage with two treats (which we do all the time with no problem) they have been acting very strangely. They both seem to be avoiding eachother and the people in the household. This is very unusual and has us worried. The little one, who is usually a little more dominant seems to be cowering around the bigger one now and is not her perky self. They are both in good health to our knowledge. If they did have a spat would they stay mad at eachother this long? We are very confused and worried. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!!:cloud9:

~michelle~
March 17th, 2007, 03:48 PM
any changes in behaviour should be addressed by your vet
you are using separate crates for each?

rainbow
March 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I agree. Any behaviour issues need to be checked out by your vet. Good luck and please keep us posted. :fingerscr

marian
March 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
They are in the same crate and always have been. I just can't believe that they could be mad at eachother as they never, ever have been and are like two peas in a pod, best buds, side by side all of the time...they are not even running when we let them outside. We will check with the vet. I was also wondering if one of them was sick - would they act differently towards eachother? Frangelica, the little one looks so very very sad! Thanks again! :confused:

SnowDancer
March 17th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Definitely check with the vet - and if all is well, I would use separate crates. The ages of your dogs suggests - at least to me, since I have been through it when one dog was just shy of 2 and the other about 1 1/2 - same breed - was totally unexpected - puberty has struck and perhaps one dog has decided to be dominant - in my case it was the non Alpha who decided he wanted to be. The real Alpha was very benevolent and didn't want to retaliate - at first - but when he did, he was very angry and stayed so for a bit. Hope it all works out, but in the meantime, I would not leave the dogs alone together if you are not there - particularly in a crate.

marian
March 21st, 2007, 07:14 PM
Thaks to all who repsponded. We took Frangelica, the little on to the vet and she had a temperature of 102. He gave her a shot and some pills. Two days later she still seemed almost just as sick. We took her to the vet again and she had a 104 temp! He gave her a stronger shot and will do some bloodwork. Poor little thing! He feels she may have tonsilitis. We will wait for the tests but it appears her behavior was from being so sick not from Malibu roughing her up. We will monitor her behavior. Thanks again. I will keep you posted as to what we find out just in case other owners go through this...:dog: :lovestruck: :rolleyes: