Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A cat eating marshmallows?!

doggishcat
March 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM
My cats like a dog, it'll eat just about anything haha. It loves doritos, banana, pizza, red licorice (sometimes it'll eat black licorice too), gummy candys, pasta, tomatoe, practically ANYTHING!

Heres a funny video I made of my cat eating marshmallows-
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/473705/a_funny_video_of_my_cat_eating_marshmallows/

hes pretty cute, he was a wild cat living in this industrial area but his mom and some siblings were killed and this lady found him (he was a tiny baby) and weve had him ever since

Prin
March 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Um, I know you think it's cute and everything, but you have to know it's not healthy, right? Some animals will eat anything, but it's our responsibility to make sure they don't. :o

Cute kitty.:)

rainbow
March 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I agree. Even though you think it's cute you're doing your cat more harm than good. :sad:

Maya
March 17th, 2007, 10:52 PM
For some reason I wasn't able to view it but i'm sure it is very cute.

Prin is right though it is up to us to monitor what they eat so they don't get sick. Its kind of like if you had a baby you wouldn't let him eat lots of candy or junk (I hope). Next time you are at the vet ask them to check his teeth and recommend a healthy diet or better yet check the pet food forum here for some healthy treat ideas. Because cats are carnivores some people even feed a diet mostly of certain types of raw meat.

You'll want to try keeping him as healthy as you can so you can make many more videos!

MyBirdIsEvil
March 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I really really hope you're strictly limiting how many of these items your cat consumes.
Feeding sugary items and items high in carbohydrates really raises your cats risk for health issues such as diabetes.

I'd also be worried about the choking risk with things such as marshmallows and gummy candy. Cats are definately not designed to chew these kind of foods.

Breezer
March 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Zach is a pig and we are strict with not giving him people food but one day he was so interested in my pineapple I let him have a piece. He liked it but have not allowed him to have it again.

doggishcat
March 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Of course I know its not 'healthy' for cats but its definately not healthy for people either, he probably has a better diet than most of you, that was literally 1 of 2 times that i let him eat marshmallows. other then that i just let him taste things im eating cus he's always curious, and he rarely wont try something. In contrast, our cat Ludo wont eat anything, even raw meat because hes so picky. I think the only human food he's ever eaten was a little piece of cheese haha

MyBirdIsEvil
March 18th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Of course I know its not 'healthy' for cats but its definately not healthy for people either, he probably has a better diet than most of you,

Maybe. Most of our pets probably get better meals than a lot of us sometimes :p

I've had cats that liked some weird items too.
I used to have a cat that would rip open bags of oreos and eat the cookie part off. I always thought it was weird because cats are supposed to like creamy stuff but he wouldn't even touch the filling, just the chocolate cookie part.

Quins-mum
March 19th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Cats do have a different digestive system to humans and dogs, and what we and dogs may eat without any problems, could cause probs with your cat. They say you can feed a dog cat food, but you cant feed a cat dog food.

I guess that goes for human food too. (although my cat loves salt and vinegar potatoe chips). I guess you really have to watch what your cat eats. with a cat its not as simple as feeding a dog. I tend to make my cat stick to her regular food, and only give her human food if its meat, chicken, a little bit of cheese for a treat...(and the occasional salt & vin chips)

clm
March 19th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Just because a cat will eat it and we can eat it, doesn't mean it won't hurt them. Make sure you look up what's poisenous for cats just to be sure he doesn't sample something that'll really hurt him.

Cindy

Quins-mum
March 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM
as for your cat eating marshmallows... well all that is, is eggwhite and sugar... so I guess that if your cat isnt diabetic, its not really going to hurt. I give my cat raw eggs, and its not a prob... so cooked egg whites is prob just the same.

Quins-mum
March 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I
Feeding sugary items and items high in carbohydrates really raises your cats risk for health issues such as diabetes.

I dunno about that??? but hey, as a diabetic cat "slave" I would really like to see the evidence.

MyBirdIsEvil
March 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I dunno about that??? but hey, as a diabetic cat "slave" I would really like to see the evidence.

I guess I should have said "may" raise the risk, since genetics is a huge factor.

http://www.uq.edu.au/vetschool/centrecah/index.html?page=43599&pid=0 (Quote is under "What causes type 2 diabetes?")
Diets high in carbohydrates put a large demand on β cells to secrete insulin and likely contribute to β-cell failure when fed long-term in cats predisposed to diabetes because of low insulin sensitivity [22].

That's probably the most comprehensive one I have run across. It's also one of the only ones I've seen that mentions the high carb link, but good studies on feline diabetes in general are hard to find, especially online.
There are a large number of vets that believe carbs to be a large contributor in feline diabetes though, and I could dig up several websites.

Obviously not the only factor, but high carbs can definately raise the risk. I'm not saying feeding a few marshmallows is going to have a significant effect, just that sugary treats shouldn't be a high portion of a cats diet.
That's why I said "I really really hope you're strictly limiting how many of these items your cat consumes."
The original poster kind of made it sound like she was feeding her cat tons of these items, and though I now know that's not the case it's why I commented.

Now, I don't know whether my cats are genetically predisposed to those factors, so I'd rather be safe than sorry and feed as little carbs and sugary items as possible. Unlike with people, most cat owners don't have a comprehensive history of their cats family, so all we can do is take the least risks as possible with diet.

Afterall, cats are obligate carnivores anyway, their bodies are NOT designed to utilize carbohydrates like we are. I always try to keep that in mind when giving my cats treats. High carb diets are also a significant cause of obesity in cats. .

Btw, I also have a diabetic cat, so I understand the "slave" thing. :laughing:
:sorry: For the threadjack, but I felt the need to respond.

Prin
March 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Even if there's no genetic predisposition, it could still cause pancreatic insufficiency, as it does in humans with type 2 diabetes. When the body is forced to metabolize too much sugar, the insulin stops having an effect. :shrug:

MyBirdIsEvil
March 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Even if there's no genetic predisposition, it could still cause pancreatic insufficiency, as it does in humans with type 2 diabetes. When the body is forced to metabolize too much sugar, the insulin stops having an effect. :shrug:

Yeah, I was having trouble finding validated research other than what I posted though.
There's so much less good information online on cats, than on dogs :frustrated:

Prin
March 19th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah, but we're all pretty well the same to a certain point. IMO, cats would be even more sensitive to sugars than we are because they are so geared toward meat proteins.:shrug:

Quins-mum
March 19th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Btw, I also have a diabetic cat, so I understand the "slave" thing. :laughing:

thanks for the link, i will read it. :offtopic: hows your cat doing with the diabeties... im haveing lots of trouble controling it with lex.... maybe I should start a new thread.

MyBirdIsEvil
March 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM
thanks for the link, i will read it. :offtopic: hows your cat doing with the diabeties... im haveing lots of trouble controling it with lex.... maybe I should start a new thread.

I'll PM you, or else it will definately turn into a complete threadjack :o