Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training seven week old pup for house

slray
March 16th, 2007, 07:58 PM
We are taking Mako out to potty and when its too cold outside or damp early in the morning I put newspapers down. This morning he pooped on the paper without me making him go to it. We have a really good start. Problem is he just pees whenever and wherever he likes. We take him potty after he eats, drinks, and naps but other times he just has accidents. How do we associate outside and the newspaper as ok places to go while reinforcing he can't go an the carpet? Also he plays really rough for a 7 week old puppy. He gets to biting and I try to pet him and stroke him gently and talk to him in a soothing voice to calm him however he just wants to bite. Then when he's tired he'll lay down and nap. Any suggestions to train him appropriate ways to play. I don't want him to think I don't want him to play with us, just not bite so hard.
Thanks alot slray

luckypenny
March 16th, 2007, 09:44 PM
You can start off by carefully reading these articles. They're sure to give you good advice.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article_newdog.htm
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogmouthy.htm
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-cratetrain.htm
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogs_and_children.htm
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogsocial.htm
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogillness.html

Don't forget to be patient, he's only a real young baby and it takes lots of time for him to learn.

~michelle~
March 16th, 2007, 10:06 PM
many many mistakes will happen, just praise praise praise when going on the paper or outside, youve only had him for a few days.
also he may be biting so hard because he is sucha young pup and probably should have stayed with the litter a little while longer. but since he didnt im sure you will find great advice here.
remember activities such as biting are easier stopped when they are replaced. ie give him a chew toy instead of your hand, let out an ouch when he nips your hand and praise when he bites the toys. remember to keep all wires and shoes stored saftely away puppies like to chew on these things. it will take him a little while to learn all of the rules he is a baby

Harley's_Mom
March 17th, 2007, 09:01 AM
My little Harley chews like a maniac. When he's chewing on something he shouldn't be (like my hand or toes!) I tell him "No" and give him one of his favourite toys to chew on. He really likes the Loofah toy I got him at PetSmart. As for the "potty" training. We're training Harley to go outside, I was afraid paper training might slow down the process. When he does his business outside I praise the heck out of him ( you'd think he was the only puppy to ever have peed outside....LOL) and give him a treat. It seems to be working really well. Good luck, it just takes lots and lots of patience.

DesiP
March 17th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Everyone so far is pretty much on the same page with patience and I agree with that 100%. Accidents will happen. What I found worked for me was keeping them confined to only one area in the house and not giving too much freedom as far as inside goes until they have been fully trained. Always give positive reinforcements when something is done right, however if something is not done to your satisfaction let him know too without being too stern. Repitition always worked for me. I know because he's your new puppy you'll want him all over the house with you but I suggest once you take him out for a potty you should guide him back to that same area that you will confine him to. Soon enough he will understand that when you let him out of 'his little area' its straight outside...and right back to 'his little area' when he's finished. The newspaper training may take a while but keep at it. Finally, give lots of affection, I find sometimes when the affection isnt there they tend to do the bad things to gain that attention. Enjoy your little one.

lt_danish
March 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM
What I found worked for me was keeping them confined to only one area in the house and not giving too much freedom as far as inside goes until they have been fully trained.

Yup! Make his world smaller so to speak. I put the puppy on a leash and attached it to my wrist or belt when I was doing things around the house. Puppies don't want to pee in their 'home' area.

Maybe try covering a bigger area with newspaper until he starts to show a tendency to pee in a few of the papered areas. Very slowly you can make the newpaper area smaller and smaller. Go slow, if he has an accident make the area a bit bigger again for awhile.

7 weeks old is pretty young, it will just take time. I have never had a tiny breed but I hear they are a bit slower to train to pee outside as well, since they can squat without creating a whole lot of attention.

jessymoka
March 22nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Having a puppy can be one of the most frustrating experiences ever!

That is why God makes them so cute! :lovestruck:
I know you have probably heard patience and consistancey so many times it makes you want to puke:yuck:
but really that's what it boils down too.
It's like we want them to pick it up in two/three weeks or sooner and be done with it.... but most dogs unfortunately don't work that way.

Do you have a crate?
The crate really worked wonders for us.
I would be concerned using the paper and outside... it's like sending mixed signals... I would do outside completely... no papers (and I grew up in a home that did paper training) That is what worked for us... ONLY outside and that didn't leave and gray area, no room for confusion.
Our girl is going to be one year old next month and she is now completely trustable, however 2/3 months ago I would not have said that.
Potty training a dog, needs to be like potty training a child... consistancy, no violence, and lots and lots of praise. And just like potty training your child, it takes time, and just when you think you got it down, there's an accident...clean it up and continue down the path!

As for the biting... our's liked to play like that too.
It seems like it took forever to break her of, and she likes to play ruff with my husband still.
When she would start with that I would yelp, withdraw, and give her one of her bones. She actually knows now that she plays ruff with daddy but not with mommy! (she also tries to kick daddy's butt when he torments me)
It took a while for her to learn this, but she has.

Unfortunately our puppies are not "virtual puppies" easy to train over night.
They are real and the just don't wake up one morning perfect.
One day she'll get it... Stick to it and be encouraged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clm
March 22nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
7 weeks old is pretty young, most puppies shouldn't be taken away from mom until at least 8 weeks.
We did both outside and paper training with both of our dogs. They were blocked off in the kitchen while we were at work with papers down until they were old enough to hold it on their own, 4 months old both pups could hold for at least 6 hours and were safe to have the run of the house. Praised the heck out of them when they went outside, they learned that hurry up meant to do what we came outside to do when they first woke up, right after they ate and anytime after play. It didn't take either dog long at all.
Each dog stayed in the house when we were at work, and we put papers down for them their entire lives, just in case they had a bad tummy or were just off, they have problems just like we do. Once in a while they would have to use the papers. Made it a whole lot easier to clean up having them trained to both ways and I'm sure they must have felt less stressed about having to go those rare times in the house when they had the papers there to go on:clown: .

Cindy

Purpledomino
March 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Congratulations on your new baby! I agree that seven weeks is very, very young to expect any kind of consistant potty behaviour from your puppy. Basically at that age, they are just going to go when and where they feel like it, they are just eliminating indiscriminately and lack the maturity physically and mentally to do otherwise. Best solution at this point in my opinion, is to crate train, and confine him to an appropriate area when out of his kennel.
I found the kitchen is the best place, kind of the hub of the house where you spend alot of time, and can supervise baby. When pup messes (which he will ALOT), there is an easy cleanup with no carpet involved! I'm not a big fan of paper training. I believe that right from the start, you should decide where the potty area is, and most people want that to be outside. Less confusion for puppy right from the start.
Another trick I learned from a friend that worked for our Minpin. I hung a bell from a ribbon to the doorknob of the door that we would be going out to do our potty breaks. Every time we used the door to do "business", that bell would ring. NOW...Emmy will go to that door and whack the bell with her paw to let me know she needs out. Worked like a charm, with no effort from me! There is nothing quite like having to cater to your Minpins every beck and call....lol. Good luck, and remember this is going to take at least six or more months for your puppy to get right....but he will. :thumbs up

we3beagles
March 23rd, 2007, 08:59 PM
By stroking him and trying to calm him down when he bites you are reinforcing the bad behavior. When he bites you yelp and walk away from him and ignore him for about 10 minutes. All good playtime and affection stops when he bites and he gets good attention and playtime when he is being good.

A puppy that young is going to need to go out not only after play, sleep, eating and drinking, but also about every 2 hours. If he goes pee outside, awsome. Give him treats and praise and he gets a bit of freedom (not total freedome, but supervised). If he doesn't go pee he should go in a crate and then taken out every 20 minutes until he does go pee outside. Then he gets treats, praise and freedom.