Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How often do you feed your pets?

SuperWanda
March 16th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I was just curious to know how often the members here feed their pets.

Do you feed once, twice, three times a day and at what times?
Or do you just leave the food down and let them feed when they want.

I feed twice a day, once at about 7:30am and again at about 4:30pm but was wondering if three smaller portions would be better.

RolandsMom
March 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM
not sure whether you are talking about dogs or cats but i let Roland eat when he wants. he always has kibble in his bowl. i give him some yogurt and digestive enzymes every morning, other than that, he just helps himself.

SuperWanda
March 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Dogs or cats!

geisha
March 16th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I have 2 female spayed samoyeds who love, love, love their food. I feed them twice a day in separate rooms.

KimandAutumn
March 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Autumn gets feed breakfast at 6 am and supper at 6 pm and she gets a small snack at lunchtime, like a Go! Natural Breakaway Health Bar.

Ginger the cat, eats Chicken Soup kibbles and he's free fed.

Dogastrophe
With our two pups, we feed them twice a day, once at 7:30am and again around 5:30.

With our cat, she is free fed.

SuperWanda
Geisha - Is that so one doesn't steal the others food? - I have two dogs and I always use to feed them side by side until I noticed that the one waits until the other starts to eat before she feels comfortable eating so I moved her dish to the other side of the room. Sometimes she still waits to see if the other dog is eating before she starts - I thought maybe it was a dominance thing though there is no sign that I can see - maybe she is just giving her the evil eye :laughing:

geisha
March 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Yes indeed it is. Geisha is the less dominate of the two and she will wait until Rose (our beloved senior) starts before she will. When Geisha first arrived I noticed that she had lost a bit of weight & (surprise surprise) Rose had gained a bit!! :laughing:

Kristin7
March 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I have two cats and a dog, they are all fed 2x/day, once in the morning and once at night. I have to feed the cats in separate rooms because one of them is a pig and eats a lot faster than the other. I have noticed both the slow eater cat and my dog don't really want their morning meals as much, so have been thinking of only feeding them 1x/day or switching foods, or possibly adding wet or raw or something. Not sure. I am just getting frustrated with the fussy eating rituals.

Lissa
March 16th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Dodger is fed once a day, although he usually has an RMB or recreational bone to work on i(seperate from his main meal). We don't have a schedule - his feeding time varies everyday.

Minnow is free-fed.

Scott_B
March 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Dodger is fed once a day, although he usually has an RMB or recreational bone to work on i(seperate from his main meal). We don't have a schedule - his feeding time varies everyday.

Same as Rosco

The 3 cats are fed 2x a day.

BusterBoo
March 16th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I have 2 shih tzus and they are free fed. I fill their bowls up in the morning and usually by 9:00 pm, both are empty. If they want more, they get more....if they don't finish what I give them in a day, they will eat it the next day.

They also get toast and peanut butter in the morning and treats during the day (if they are good doggies!)

Lissa
March 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Same as Rosco

Really?? YAY :crazy: - most people think I'm crazy or cruel for not feeding on a strict schedule! Woohoo - I'm not alone;)
We do a lot of training so feeding time revolves around that - sometimes his main meal will be in the morning when we have a trial in the afternoon; othertimes he will get an extra feeding late at night for an early morning fun match...
I think a variable feeding schedule is best anyway, so even without the training, Dodger would never be fed at exactly the same time everyday.

Scott_B
March 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I agree. Keep em guessing. If a dog expects food, and doesnt get it, they can vomit because the stomach starts releasing digestive fluids. Thats why some dogs throw up yellow bile.

Prin
March 16th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Jems and Boobs get fed twice a day. Once after their morning out and once before bed.

~michelle~
March 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM
we feed the boys twice a day still trying to find schedualed times that work for them and us, although aiden who likes to take his time on his food usually gets fed once a day in his crate while we are gone and he munches at his own pace

papillonmama
March 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Both the cats and dogs are free fed their kibble here, and given a little bit of wet food at night.:)

gomez
March 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM
In the UK we used to feed Gomez 3 times a day - 9am - 3pm - 9pm
He was perfectly fine with this...

Now, in Australian quarantine he is being fed 1x per day at 10am
He is perfectly fine with this...

Not sure what we will do when he gets back to us, I think we will up it to 2x per day and then go from there, see how he does...

4 more nights
4 more nights til Gomez is free!

~michelle~
March 16th, 2007, 10:12 PM
woo hoo 4 more nights!!!!! post losts of pics when your reunited with gomez..

rainbow
March 16th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Dogs: twice a day.....8:00am and 6:00pm :dog:
Cats: twice a day.....8:00am and 6:00pm for wet food and dry food left out 24/7 :cat:

brandynva
March 16th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Our dogs are fed once in the morning about 7am and at night about 5:30pm. If they are still hungry a little later they get a half more scoop of dry. I also add stuff in like yogurt and raw eggs. If I'm cooking with fresh fruits/veggies they get some of that too. And of course cookies if they are good. :D

Otis is free fed. :cat:

Quins-mum
March 17th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I let Lexie (my cat) eat when she wants, she always has a good supply of dry food available, and she lets me know when she wants something else. She grazes.

Quin on the other hand (Lab) gets his breakfast (kibble) but usually doesnt eat it, so I leave it and he might eat it after he has his walk or his swim. If he doesnt eat it, then I usually just add his dinner to it, and he scoffs the lot about 6pm. - I guess he is on free feeding too!:dog:

angeldogs
March 17th, 2007, 12:15 AM
When Jag was on kibble he was 3times a day.now 2 times aday.and the time varies.depending what time i get home from work in the am.

clm
March 17th, 2007, 12:32 AM
All 4 cats have dry food available all day and get canned food first thing in the morning and then as they demand it during the day....no weight problems so they can have what they want.

Dogs have kibble available to them all day. Treats a few times a day as well.

Cockatiel has fresh food and water every day and a honey stick treat once a week as well as fresh fruit and vegetables.

Koi are fed 3 times a day in the summer months, once a day in the fall, twice a day in the spring, koi pellets and krill are main diet, chopped up shrimp and some veggies for treats once a week.

Goldfish in aquarium get fresh pellets every moring and frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and mosquito larve or krill in the evenings.

Cindy