Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Classes

Harley's_Mom
March 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM
In two weeks my little boy Harley will be starting puppy classes. I'd love to hear from other people who took their puppies to "school".

rainbow
March 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I took my husky, Logan, and it was the best choice I made.......I wish I had taken my lab (Chase) but the circumstances weren't right at the time.

Tommysmom
March 15th, 2007, 11:39 PM
We're on our second round of puppy classes (don't ask... he's a jack russell terrier, that should explain allllllllllllllllll, LOL). They are the best thing we ever did, I think. He's learned all the basics and he's had some great socialization. Plus, most puppy classes will let you repeat for free if you're not quite satisfied, which is what we've done. While Tommy learned to sit/stand/down/focus etc, he was just too little and too puppy-ish to move on to the next level with adult doggies and still a wee bit too spazzy to just stop taking classes altogether for a while. And the real big benefit is that they teach you how to teach your dog... I use the techniques I've learned in the classes to teach Tommy how we want him to behave at home :) .

clm
March 16th, 2007, 12:56 AM
I'm planning on taking mine to puppy classes too when I get them. What age is best for puppy classes?

Cindy

TeriM
March 16th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I did the puppy classes and found them wonderful. They had some great tips for coping with crazy puppy behavoir and teaching the pups what was acceptable playtime manners :thumbs up .

I took Riley at about 11 weeks and he was the youngest (and biggest) in the class. I think it depends on the individual dog but I think the earliest that you are comfortable with is the best as the primary socialization window only lasts to about 4 months.

jessi76
March 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I took puppy classes too, when my dog was around 11-12wks. MONEY WELL SPENT!!! classes taught ME how to handle him properly, grooming techniques, beginning training, and he got to socialize w/ about 6 other pups his age. it was really great! I recommend puppy class to everyone.

I even continued w/ his schooling up through level 3 obedience. all of the classes were worth it, IMO.

Winston
March 16th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Training was the best money I ever spent! Although many think the class is for the puppy it is also for the owner! Winston started puppy classess at 10 weeks and we went through puppy class, grade 1 and grade 2...

Grade 3 I felt was far to advanced for him as he was so hyper! and they use strictly hand signals in grade 3 class here. I loved it though!

I think sometimes it should be mandatory...???

Cindy

Harley's_Mom
March 16th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback. You all were able to confirm what I already suspected.......puppy classes are a great idea! A lot of my friends think I'm crazy to take Harley, they think because he's a small dog it's not required. I think all dogs need to have good manners and because we live in a community that has a lot of dogs, he really needs the socialization and I'd rather it was done in a controlled environment. I agree too that my family needs to be "trained" too. I think it'll make Harley's life that much more enjoyable if he is raised to be well mannered.:)

lt_danish
March 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Both my partner and I took our puppy to puppy class. My partner is a first time dog owner and it has been about 15 years or so since I had a puppy (and I was a young teen at that time) so I did it more for us than the dog. It was great to socialize with other dogs and learn and share all kinds of tips. I also know and trust my trainer as an expert to call upon should we need some more one to one for problem areas down the road. We are currently in the next level (for young 'urban' dogs).

I hope you find the classes as fun and rewarding as I did!