Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Let's see some bird pictures!

Pages : [1] 2

TeriM
March 15th, 2007, 03:05 PM
So I thought it would be neat to see some bird pictures. Here are a few of my feeder from today. I would tell you what the are but I haven't got a clue :D . Not the greatest quality as most were taken through my winter-dirty windows.

TeriM
March 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM
A few more :) .

Winston
March 15th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hmmm! I guess this bird is the wrong kind? Or maybe too big!
:laughing:

Cindy

Winston
March 15th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Oh! how about this one??? Isnt she beautiful?

Cindy

TeriM
March 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Awesome pics Winston :eek: !

Winston
March 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM
The 2nd picture (which I cannot take credit for!) is our resident female Peregrine Falcon......Madame X is her name! That picture was taken last summer when she stood defiantly over her babies as they were removed from the nest for banding! She is very fiesty! She has been in Hamilton for many years and is used to the banding now! they do it every year!

The first picture is Aldora from the Buffalo New York Nest!

I am glad you didnt think I was being smart! Just a little humor for the end of the day!

Cindy

:crazy:

RolandsMom
March 15th, 2007, 03:28 PM
:crazy: does this bird count? lol sorry i had to put it in. the wonderful first sign of spring. the lady bird!!!

TeriM
March 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
All birds are welcome :thumbs up . I think that is technically a lady-bug isn't it ... but still a very neat pic :) .

RolandsMom
March 15th, 2007, 03:42 PM
we (in South Africa) always called them lady birds. i guess they are bugs here...:rolleyes: :D okay sorry bout the little "off topic" now im back on track! hehe

chico2
March 15th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Teri,your two first ones look like female Gold-Finches,the ones with red on their head and chest are male House-Finches,their females look a bit like a larger sparrow.
The third pic,looks like a Robin,but my Robins do not come to the feeders,they don't eat seeds,maybe you had corn in your seeds.:confused:

chico2
March 15th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Rolands mom,in Sweden we call lady-bugs,Nyckel-Piga,which means Key-Maid:confused: don't really know why..
The ladybugs will be hibernating under leaves and other things for the winter.
I don't have many birdpics,but here are a pair of Mourning Doves in my Blue Spruce,if you look carefully you can see the baby between them and a not too good pic of some of my pigeons.

RolandsMom
March 15th, 2007, 03:55 PM
key maid? how strange, must be some interesting story or legend behind that. I saw this lady..erm bug yesterday. thats what i got so excited about. spring is on the way!
Winston, what a BEAUTIFUL bird!

TeriM
March 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM
No corn in that feeder Chico. Just shelled sunflower chips (only thing that they don't make a total mess of :frustrated: ). Thanks for the info on the others :) . I thought the last guy was a robin too and there are about a half dozen around so who knows? I really do need to get a book on the west coast birds :o .

Winston
March 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
No seeds on the falcon ledge either! just some uh! maybe we wont go there! :laughing: love to see lady bugs ! sure sign of spring!

Cindy

dmc123
March 15th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I have one of a baby Robin we helped back in 2000. He had fallen out of the nest. We helped him by sheltering him in this crate hung in a tree. We dug worms for him, but he didn't like the ones we chose :). His mom and dad both stuck by him and fed him until he got all his feathers and one day he flew off on his own. We think he came back a month or so later, of course we aren't sure...but a pretty boy robin flew over and sat on the fence not 10 feet from us and looked at us for several minutes. We think he came to say thanks :)

Diane

rainbow
March 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Great pics of birds everyone. Thanks for starting the thread Teri.....I bet we get some good ones. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I think the red-breasted bird in the third pic is a towhee, not a robin--tail is too long. I see some siskins, too--they look like streaked goldfinches.

Can't forget the black-capped chickadees:

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Or turkeys in winter...

...ruby-throated hummingbirds in summer:

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
...maybe a gray catbird...

...or a tree swallow?

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2007, 10:27 PM
One more hummingbird...he looks so purty on the copper feeder:

I'm hoping to get some shots of the bluebirds on the houses this summer. :fingerscr

:cloud9: I love birds... Some day I'm gonna get me a telephoto and a blind and spend all my time outside trying to capture the gold medal bird photo of the year! :thumbs up :laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Chico, your doves look so cozy! :cloud9:

Great thread idea, TeriM! A little touch of spring! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I found two more...

Another one of my chickadee buddies...not sure which one it is...they don't tell me their names :D :

And a ruffed grouse along FR 2150 in Forest County...

Okay, you're off the hook...I think I'm all tapped out of bird pics! :thumbs up :o

rainbow
March 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I looove the hummingbirds and the chickadees. :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I looove the hummingbirds and the chickadees. :cloud9:

I've got video of the hummingbirds during migration that would knock your socks off...only with my dial-up, there's no way I could upload it... :frustrated: Sometimes there were 40 birds hanging in view...and the sound is incredible! :cloud9:

Prin
March 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Great birds!! :highfive: I had some pics of them on my old feeder, but they were pretty cruddy and not too current... I'll try to get some of the ones who are moving into my attic.:D

TeriM, what's up with that green grass?! :eek:

rainbow
March 15th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I've got video of the hummingbirds during migration that would knock your socks off...only with my dial-up, there's no way I could upload it... :frustrated: Sometimes there were 40 birds hanging in view...and the sound is incredible! :cloud9:

DARN :frustrated: ....cuz I would be in heaven. :cloud9:

TeriM
March 16th, 2007, 12:56 AM
TeriM, what's up with that green grass?! :eek:

This is Vancouver. We have green grass year round here! :D I'll have to take some shots of the blooming crocuses, budding tulips and flowering cherry blossoms that are also out right now :) .

Oh ... and then a shot of the new snow across the north shore mountains :cloud9: .

chico2
March 16th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Teri,something about the Robin-like bird told me it's not a Robin,the white specks beeing one and seeing him at the birdfeeder.
I LOVE the Catbirds,we get a few each summer and Northern Mockingbirds,Woodpeckers,Common Flickers,I could go on and on....my binoculars and camera are always ready:laughing:
Here's a little woodpecker,they love suet and the Common Flicker(cannot take credit for the pic!)I wish I had a better zoom,my next camera will definetly have one,Mothers Day hmmmmm:laughing:

chico2
March 16th, 2007, 07:51 AM
dmc,what you did for the Robinbaby was great,the crate thing a great idea one I'll keep in mind for this spring:thumbs up

dmc123
March 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks Chico2 :)

Sheps_Mom
March 26th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I snapped some birds yesterday. Not pets, but are beautiful!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/roxysmom/DSC_2383FR.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/roxysmom/DSC_2829FR.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/roxysmom/DSC_3218FR.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/roxysmom/DSC_3175FR.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/roxysmom/DSC_3798.jpg

TeriM
March 27th, 2007, 01:04 AM
:eek: Wow, those are absolutely spectacular shots. Thanks Sheps mom :thumbs up .

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Amazing shots! :highfive:

TeriM
March 28th, 2007, 08:58 PM
OK, not nearly as impressive as Shep's mom, but here are a few new ones.

TeriM
March 28th, 2007, 09:00 PM
two more :)

rainbow
March 28th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Sheps Mom, your photos are breathtaking. :cloud9: :thumbs up

Teri, I love the close-ups. :lovestruck:

erykah1310
March 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
My majestic contribution....
Not taken by me personally, but a nifty freaky looking bird none the less.

rainbow
March 28th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Cool colour....what is it?

erykah1310
March 29th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Shoebilled pellican, interesting bird. I like them

dustybird
March 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Great pics, I love birdies.

First I have to post my best friend in the world for 14.5yrs, long story how he became my biggest love:lovestruck: .
14yr in this pic and doing his "hi mom greeting pose" he sits on his chest and wiggles his wings and then coos. I have a billion(better) pics of him but they are from before the digital camera. I miss him sooo much.

dustybird
March 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Bird pics from where I work, I have some better eagle pics but they're on the laptop.

Eagle and Juvenile Loon.

dustybird
March 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Adult summer Loon and a family of Merganzers(we counted 18 babies, glad we can't have that many).

dustybird
March 29th, 2007, 03:07 PM
ok I am almost done:D

Pelicans and one Cormorant and Winter Loon(I didn't know they changed colours for the winter).

dustybird
March 29th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Last one I swear.
All pics were taken on Lake of The Woods

Woodpeckers(male and female)

chico2
March 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Dustybird,great pictures,thank's!
I have a few I took last spring at the lake(Ontario that is)...no digicam at that time:)

Toonces
April 2nd, 2007, 07:14 AM
I just went through this whole thread such nice pics, well these are not yet birds but here is where our Robins like to make their nests.

TeriM
April 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Playing with the camera today :) .

TeriM
April 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM
and a few more :) .

TeriM
April 15th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Last ones :) .

chico2
April 16th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Teri,nice!! We don't have any Finches here yet,I always get excited when I see the first bright yellow Goldfinch and his not so bright female.
For now,the Chickadees are eating the Nigerseeds.

TeriM
May 1st, 2007, 02:27 PM
Got some new birds hanging around these days :) . I think that these two are a woodpecker and a red-winged blackbird.

TeriM
May 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM
and I don't know what this guy is. I am assuming this is the male because there is a brownish bird with the same wierd beak that is also around.
BTW, I have a new "squirrel proof" feeder :) but the bugger is still hanging around driving Riley crazy :frustrated: .

hazelrunpack
May 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
and I don't know what this guy is. I am assuming this is the male because there is a brownish bird with the same wierd beak that is also around.
BTW, I have a new "squirrel proof" feeder :) but the bugger is still hanging around driving Riley crazy :frustrated: .

Cool birds, TeriM. You sure have a lot of siskins this year!

And the last ones that you just posted look like female evening grosbeaks. I'm not that familiar with western birds, though--might be something else. The male evening grosbeak looks about the same, but with more yellow on the rump and back and a think yellow "eye brow". The brown birds you're seeing with the same funky beaks might be the female of another kind of grosbeak...maybe a black-headed grosbeak?

We have an eastern grosbeak here--the rose-breasted grosbeak. I haven't seen any yet, but they were singing up a storm this morning when I let the Pack out. :D

chico2
May 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Teri,the first pic,is a Wood-Pecker,looks like a female Common Flicker,they have a very distinct sound and very loud,I hear them here every summer,but have never seen one at my feeder,they usually eat only meaty stuff.
I think the others are Finches and of course the Red-Winged Blackbird.
Here is a pic of a"Squirrel-Safe"feeder I had at one time,:laughing: and one of a male Common Flicker.

TeriM
May 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hilarious pic Chico. That's exactly what happens with mine but he isn't really able to get anything (other than a few kernels that fall out from the swinging or a few peanuts stuck in the bottom part of the cage) so he usually gives up and scavenges the ground. At least he doesn't sit there for 15 min and chow down half the feeder anymore :thumbs up .

Actually I think I'm close to pulling it for the summer anyway. I really enjoy watching them but the amount of food they are going through is costing a fortune and they should be ok with the natural food now.

One last pic of my goldfinch?

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 01:39 AM
Great pics, Teri. You sure get a good variety of birds.

chico2
May 2nd, 2007, 06:56 AM
Teri,we feed the birds all year around,we really love to watch them all,it can get expensive,but soooo worth it to us,we are a little older and rather spend the money on birdseeds than going to a movie(which we haven't done for many,many years).
I buy big 25kilo(almost 50lb's)bags,with great seeds,sunflowerseeds,peanuts etc...for only $17,99 at Ren's Petdepot,much cheaper than anywhere else.
The Nigerseeds from Costco.
The 25kilo bags last only 2 weeks:yell:
This time of the year is the best,I just wish I had a better Zoom on my camera,so I could get close-up shots like you...maybe Mothers Day:fingerscr
Here is as close as I could get,a male Cow-Bird dancing for his mates affections:laughing:

hazelrunpack
May 2nd, 2007, 08:21 AM
In a few weeks, when everything is back that's coming back, we'll be going through a 50 lb bag of sunflower every week to 10 days...and thistle doesn't last long around here, either... But it's so worth it for all the viewing pleasure...and listening pleasure...we get from it.

happycats
May 2nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
I love this thread!! beautiful pics everyone.

here are some of mine.

The first is a peeliated (sp) woodpecker (at my parents feeder)
The second is a shiney shined hawk, eating one of my mouring doves:sad:

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Awesome pic of the woodpecker. :lovestruck:

chico2
May 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Happycats,beautiful woodpecker and the Hawk too,although he killed a mourning dove,but that's nature.
I don't get many Hawks in the summer,but in the winter I get several,usually they take my pigeons and although I absolutely hate to see it,the Hawks have to survive,,,

happycats
May 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Happycats,beautiful woodpecker and the Hawk too,although he killed a mourning dove,but that's nature.
I don't get many Hawks in the summer,but in the winter I get several,usually they take my pigeons and although I absolutely hate to see it,the Hawks have to survive,,,

the woodpecker is huge, and awsome to watch!!
We have also had a peregrine (sp) falcon take our mourning doves as well.
2 weeks age we had a red tailed hawk try to get one of the birds at our feeder.

It's just awful to watch,(I turn away, it's my DH that takes those pics) but as you said, it's nature.

I have a pic of a bunch of wild turkey in my parents front yard, but it's to big so I can't post it (don't know how to downsize).

I just love this thread, being able to see birds from all over !:lovestruck:

Crestedcrazy
May 6th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Some Bird pics from at home and when out and about

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/crestedcrazy/DSC04819.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/crestedcrazy/DSC04017-1.jpg

A peacock on the Hatley Castle grounds
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/crestedcrazy/DSC01371.jpg

Lots of assorted birds at Esquimalt Lagoon in Victoria
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/crestedcrazy/DSC00696-1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/crestedcrazy/DSC00692.jpg

mydogs
May 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Here is my bourke:love:

mydogs
May 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM
HERE IS TIKI MY TIEL and his friend

Goldyy
May 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Great bird pics!!!!! here are a few duck pics i took last week...the two white ones are Buffleheads and the the other is a male and female (landing) Northern Shoveler ...

Goldyy
May 7th, 2007, 05:56 PM
these pics of nesting Osprey are from last spring

hazelrunpack
May 9th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I just saw my first ruby-throated hummingbird of the season :D :thumbs up

TeriM
May 9th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Awesome bird pics everyone. I'm getting some hummingbirds too but the camera always seems to be at the other end of the house from where I am :frustrated: .

Lukka'sma
May 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I have my the feeder up waiting for the hummers but nothing yet. The warblers are coming through.
Pelee Island will be a busy spot in the next few weeks with all the bird watchers heading there

Lukka'sma
May 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
A couple that I took this morning. Not always easy to get a good shot because I have Lukka on the end of the leash on one hand pulling as she sniffs around the ground, so these pictures are one handed and not too steady.
Tree Swallow
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSCF0018.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSCF0012-1.jpg

And this one I thought was an Oriole of some sort because he is very orange on the back but this big white tummy makes me think maybe not.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSCF0006-1.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSCF0005-1.jpg

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2007, 12:43 PM
...And this one I thought was an Oriole of some sort because he is very orange on the back but this big white tummy makes me think maybe not.

Looks like a towhee, but hard to tell because of the lighting... the females are brown on the back with orangey-chestnut under the wings...the males are black on the back with the same stripe under the wings.

Nice pics! The blue on that swallow really comes through! :cloud9:

Our warblers are coming through, too...the chestnut-sided has already claimed some territory. :D

The male hummers are already squabbling over who 'owns' the feeding station and I saw one courting a female already this morning! And they've only just arrived! :eek: I think after flying that far, I'd wanna take at least one day to rest up a bit! :D

Lukka'sma
May 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Aww Rufous-sided Towhee, yes thats him Hazel.
Thanks

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2007, 01:05 PM
mydogs--the picture of your bourke just downloaded (I have a fussy, crappy, slow, and nearly worthless connection :frustrated:)...and I've never seen a bird like that before! Never heard the name, either... Are they related to conures? It's beautiful!

I was just watching mine out by the feeder Lukka'sma--so yours looked really familiar! :D Talk about timing, eh?

chico2
May 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Aww I LOVE birds,beautiful pics:thumbs up
I too get a lot of different birds at my feeders,love the little Gold-Finches and they are here now,at the Niger-feeder.
Then I have the regular birds,Cardinals,Blue Jays,Chickadees,the odd Wood Pecker,Mourning Doves,Robins little greenish Wrens,Cowbirds,Red Winged Blackbirds,Blackbirds etc...+all kinds of Pigeons and I don't mind,some are really beautiful,especially my 2 white ones.
Then I have 2 Crows(used to be 3)who come and eat our left-overs every day,love them too:D
The Indigo Buntings and Gross-Beaks seem to just stop for a bite to eat and off they go.
I have yet to see a Humming-Bird,but the feeder is filled,so:fingerscr
I've got some old pics,from last year probably posted them before.
Here is one of my Pigeons and Mom and Dad Mourningdoves,the baby is in between them,they were nesting in my Blue Spruce.

Lukka'sma
May 10th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Aw nice Chico2. I love all birds too, I do have my favorite though. Chickadees are high on the list because as I hike in the woods they follow me along from tree to tree and talk to me. They always land almost eye height with me, so cute. Such friendly little birds. Also Red-winged Blackbird. I love to hear them sing.
I always get excited if I get a hummingbird during migration. Never convince one to stay for the summer though.
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are a fav too. One of the first birds I saw when I started to get interested in bird watching.

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2007, 09:55 PM
We just figured out how to get video downloaded from the camera to the computer. The problem is I have to go purchase a card with the right connector and install it on the computer. But when I do, I'm going to upload a video of the hummingbird migration last fall. Just the sound-track is mesmerizing. :D

Dont' know when I'll get into town for the plug, though :sad: Might be a while yet...but eventually! :thumbs up

Crestedcrazy
May 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Beautiful bird pics, and I can hinestly say I have never seen a pigeon in a tree before, statues buildings ect but never a tree :)

Love that swallow, what a beautiful colour!

chico2
May 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Crestedlady,you want to see Pigeons in a tree,you come to my house:laughing: we have lots and all colours,they come around 1:30 every day,the time hubby fills the feeders.
I know to a lot of people they are more or less pests,but they are actually funny to watch and quiet beautiful.
Here is a pic of a Ringed Turtle Dove from a while back,they are usually pet-birds and after several attempts to catch her,she sadly had passed away.
The other one is a pic from Google.

wjranch
May 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM
These turkeys used to live around here, then got hunted to local extinction..... I believe there was a trade that involved our local wolves to a place in the states....in return for the turkeys to come back here.....
Anyway, they're doing grand around here now!
Tons of them!!!

chico2
May 11th, 2007, 04:21 PM
WoW,that must be nice to see,glad they were brought back:thumbs up

mydogs
May 11th, 2007, 06:04 PM
these are my bourkes:love:

mydogs
May 11th, 2007, 06:07 PM
the other Bourke

hazelrunpack
May 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
doggonit... I'm back to not being able to download the pics again. :frustrated: And to make things even more aggravating, I finally have video of the hummers to post, but I can't keep a connection long enough to upload it (or else yahoo video has taken a great dislike to my videos :o).

So now I'm :sad: I for sure wanted to see the bourkes... :sad:

he he You can keep the dang turkeys, though--pests! They hide in the ditches and run out at your vehicle in a last minute suicide attempt that's sure to get your adrenaline flowing! :p

hazelrunpack
May 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM
All three hummer videos are finally ready! :o

The first was from last summer--mostly local youngsters coming to the feeders before migration. I thought there were pretty many then:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=535022

...but pretty soon, the migration started:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=536259

...and then they just kept coming out of nowhere!:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=536339

A lot of those birds are back already--I've already had to put out all three feeders and fill them at least once a day! :eek: It's going to be an exhausting nectar replenishing summer but it's worth it to me! :D :lovestruck:

chico2
May 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Wow Hazel,you are sooo lucky,I am excited if I see 2 at my nectar-feeder all summer.
I was told to put one out early in the spring,the birds will look for places to nest and they like a feeder nearby.
So far it has not worked:sad:
My son in smalltown Alberta,has tons coming to their balcony every summer,they live in an apt and hang the feeder on the balcony.

TeriM
May 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM
OMG Hazel, that is amazing footage. I'm like Chico, I tend to get one or two at a time and usually about 5-6 times per day. That amount is just crazy but at least you don't have to worry about the nectar spoiling :) .

hazelrunpack
May 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM
The nectar doesn't spoil, but I have to boil at least 24 cups of sugar water a day by the end of the season...urm...that's...um...well, more than 6 liters...

And I'll be filling feeders 3 to 4 times a day. I had 3 feeders up last year--this year, considering how many birds came back already, I may have to add a couple more feeders! I have 3 feeders up already (last year at this time I still only had 1 up) and today they drained all three by noon! :eek:

Come Fall, hazel is gonna be so tired! :o :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
May 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Whoa! Looka ther! The bourkes just downloaded! (I can see! I can see! :thumbs up)

They're beautiful, mydogs! I've never seen any birds like that before. :lovestruck:

Lukka'sma
May 19th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Wow Hazel, like the others I am lucky to get one hummer in the spring migration and if it comes will only stay for about a week and off it goes. I have had my feeder out for quite some time this spring but so far nothing. Maybe I won't be having a hummer at all this year. I have only had one three out of the last seven years. So when it does happen I tend to get very giddy.

chico2
May 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Lukka's mom,I get giddy every time I see any kind of new colourful bird at my feeders:laughing:

hazelrunpack
May 19th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Wow Hazel, like the others I am lucky to get one hummer in the spring migration and if it comes will only stay for about a week and off it goes. I have had my feeder out for quite some time this spring but so far nothing. Maybe I won't be having a hummer at all this year. I have only had one three out of the last seven years. So when it does happen I tend to get very giddy.

When we lived in the city, I'd put up a feeder every year (for 18 years!). We saw 3 hummingbirds in that time--and none of them were at the feeder (but hazel is a dreamer and still put it out every year :o )

The spring after we moved out here, I put out a feeder and within the hour there were hummers coming to it! That first year we only had a few, but the adults and all their babies came back last year...and it looks like the trend is continuing--the feeders were already more than half empty when I got up this morning! :thumbs up :eek:

I get giddy everytime I see warblers! I love them! This year, though, I'm identifying a lot of them by song since the trees leafed out so early :shrug:

And the thing that makes me most giddy this spring? I'm fairly certain a scarlet tanager has set up territory in the woods next door! :thumbs up :highfive: I love scarlet tanagers!!!!! :D

Lukka'sma
May 19th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I'm identifying a lot of them by song since the trees leafed out so early :shrug:
And the thing that makes me most giddy this spring? I'm fairly certain a scarlet tanager has set up territory in the woods next door! :thumbs up :highfive: I love scarlet tanagers!!!!! :D

scarlet tanager is a beautiful bird no doubt. Lucky you.
Last weekend I was out birding and saw a few birds but you're right about the leaves filling in so early and seeing the birds is hard work.
Monday morning I will give it another shot and head out to the woods by 6:30am to try my luck one last time for this spring.

hazelrunpack
May 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM
scarlet tanager is a beautiful bird no doubt. Lucky you.
Last weekend I was out birding and saw a few birds but you're right about the leaves filling in so early and seeing the birds is hard work.
Monday morning I will give it another shot and head out to the woods by 6:30am to try my luck one last time for this spring.

I hope you have great luck! :thumbs up I haven't done much die-hard birding this spring--been too busy with other stuff and just haven't felt the urge to get out there and do it. I've seen and heard a fair number of birds, even so! When I'm out in the yard, my ear is always cocked and any movement in the trees gets my attention. :D Course, I've gotta try to hear them over the barking... :o

Byrd
May 20th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I found this little guy the other day, I think he fell out of the tree.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1767/imgp4343vx5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I was scared a cat would get him so I eased him up to try to find somewhere to put him.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5425/imgp4347le1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

But he didn't want to get off and I walked around for a while trying to find a high place, then mommy started calling so he fluttered over to the fence.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1954/imgp4348xk5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And a non-wild bird... my Corvus:

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3668/imgp4326xg0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3662/imgp4327du1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Byrd
May 20th, 2007, 11:55 PM
And before anyone reams me out, the only part of the bird I came into contact with were the feet.

Maya
May 21st, 2007, 01:27 AM
Thats soooo cute.:love:

You did the right thing.:thumbs up Its relatively rare that the mother will reject them if they've been touched. Obviously its not good to handle them a lot but to get them out of danger is the best thing you can do.

chico2
May 21st, 2007, 07:11 AM
Byrd,aww a baby Robin,I hope he makes it:fingerscr
I love it when I see a young Robin able to fly on his own,yours probably is not yet such a good flier
We have babies in our birdhouses,only sparrows mind you,but still birds...hubby keeps a watch over them:laughing: the Blue Jays are always trying to get the babies and usually succeed,we cannot be there all the time:sad:

hazelrunpack
May 21st, 2007, 08:54 AM
And before anyone reams me out, the only part of the bird I came into contact with were the feet.

:laughing: Don't worry about it on a couple of counts:

1. Most birds seem to have a terrible sense of smell--they can't smell human scent on their babies and won't abandon them on that count. If there's a lot of instrusive human activity around their nests, they may abandon it before the eggs are laid, but once the eggs are laid, they are less likely to abandon their "investment in the future" unless the activity is really bad. I'm not saying go disturb a nest, but at least if you have to get a fledgling out of a dangerous spot (i.e. in the open with predators about), you don't have to worry about your scent putting mom and dad off...

2. If a baby bird has open eyes, is fairly feathered and can flutter, it's well-off and normal to be out of the nest. It's still dependent on its parents, but as long as they're around, it'll be fed and watched over.

That baby is actually a very healthy looking fledgling, and it's normal for him to be out of the nest and exercising his wings at that age. In a couple of days, he'll get over that gawky fluttering stage and be flying around like a pro :thumbs up He'll probably come back and try to poop on your head as payment for your help and concern :D (Birds can be pretty demanding ingrates :laughing:)

I love your tiel, by the way! Very pretty! Nice feathers. :cloud9:

Byrd
May 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
He tried to poop on me already! He was fluttering around pretty good, as long as the cat didn't get him he will be flying around in no time.

Corvus is a pearled 'tiel, that's why his feathers are like that, it's one of the colour traits.

Lukka'sma
May 21st, 2007, 06:53 PM
Went birding very early this morning and although the songs were heard all around visions of birds were few. The trees have grown leaves overnight and they are just too thick to see much of anything. I only managed one picture of this Rose-breasted Grosbeak.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1000287.jpg

hazelrunpack
May 21st, 2007, 11:39 PM
I haven't gotten a clear look at a bird in a tree for quite a while--too many leaves here, too. Can hear them pass through, but I think this might be the first year in a long time that I don't see redstarts! They showed up after the trees leafed out. I can hear the little darlings--but I sure haven't been able to spot one!! :frustrated: (insert :frustrated smiley with crossed arms and tapping toe: here :D)

I feel accomplished when I can identify them by song, but I like to look at them, too! :o

chico2
May 22nd, 2007, 06:31 AM
I used to see Gros-beaks here in the spring,but it's been a while,they are so beautiful.
I can identify most birds around here by sound and recognize an unfamiliar one right away,then out comes the binoculars and the bird-book,that is,if I can see it.
If I do, I get all excited,a natural high:laughing:

Lukka'sma
May 22nd, 2007, 06:56 AM
I also heard an indigo bunting yesterday and stood for the longest time until finally I did spot him. Ended up landing just a few feet from me out on a branch with hardly any leaves on it. The way the sun hit him at that moment he shone as brilliant blue as any mountain bluebird would be:cloud9: Of course that was later in the morning when I was walking Lukka and I didn't take my camera. Isn't that always the way.

hazelrunpack
May 22nd, 2007, 07:33 AM
Of course that was later in the morning when I was walking Lukka and I didn't take my camera. Isn't that always the way.

:yell: yes! :frustrated:

Lukka'sma
May 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Today I was smart enough to take the camera. Of course I didn't see anything:laughing: This bird had such a pretty song I snapped a pic of it, don't have any idea what it is. Most likely some sort of sparrow

hazelrunpack
May 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Looks kinda like an oriole beak--but I can't make out what it is. :confused: What color was it? Sort of orangish?

chico2
May 22nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
It's hard to tell,but definetly not a Sparrow,is he kind of olive-green?

chico2
May 22nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Sooo many times I've been in my yard,really close to a bird and no camera:yell: if I stand completely still,they think I am a tree:laughing:
I should have the camera attached to my body!!

Lukka'sma
May 22nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Looks kinda like an oriole beak--but I can't make out what it is. :confused: What color was it? Sort of orangish?

It was a kind of drabby green and brown tones. Had a very nice song to sing.

hazelrunpack
May 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
I hate when people ask me this, cuz I never have and then feel like a dork...but did you notice any wing bars? :o

You know what I want? One of those digicams that are attached to binoculars--what you see is what you get a picture of :thumbs up I hear there are some on the market, but still quite pricey! But that's what I want! :D

Lukka'sma
May 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I didn't notice any wing bars on it Hazel. Mainly because it stayed well above me and I only got to see the underside, I knew I was going to have to make a quick choice between the camera and the binoculars so I opted for the camera. I usually try and capture a picture first and if the bird allows then I take a look through the binoculars and check beak, foot colors and such.(of course the darn things always fly away before I have a chance to do all that):laughing:

Lukka'sma
May 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
You know what I want? One of those digicams that are attached to binoculars--what you see is what you get a picture of :thumbs up I hear there are some on the market, but still quite pricey! But that's what I want! :D

Oh......this is something new to me. Now I want one too:D

Goldyy
May 31st, 2007, 03:56 PM
The hummers are my most favourite little birds:lovestruck: ....I took these pics yesterday:)

chico2
May 31st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Awww,lucky you,I have yet to see any hummers,the feeders are ready and waiting!

TeriM
May 31st, 2007, 07:17 PM
Very cool hummer pics :thumbs up .

Winston
May 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM
How about these 4 little ones! They are so ugly they are cute! These are the 4 Peregrine Falcons from the Rochester site! They received their new BLING today! It was the big Banding Day there!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
May 31st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Cute babies...and nice hummers! :thumbs up

Hubby asked me to list all the birds that I know are nesting within earshot and I'm already up to 37! :thumbs up :cloud9: Wish I could see all the little darlin's! :frustrated: But the symphony sounds so purdy! :D

chico2
June 1st, 2007, 07:04 AM
Awww Winston,they are amazing:pray: they'll all make it:fingerscr

Smiley14
June 2nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
I don't get very exciting birds in my yard, LOL! Mostly just these guys at my feeder. Not sure what kind of bird they are. Then I get tons of robins and some hummers. I can hear a dove sometimes too, but have only spotted him a few times. He's very elusive! But I know that call quite well as I used to have one for a pet. :)

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
I don't get very exciting birds in my yard, LOL! Mostly just these guys at my feeder. Not sure what kind of bird they are. Then I get tons of robins and some hummers. I can hear a dove sometimes too, but have only spotted him a few times. He's very elusive! But I know that call quite well as I used to have one for a pet. :)

Chipping sparrows--we get those too. They're pretty tame...and small enough to sometimes get in under the Pack's radar.

Gotta be careful with them though this time of year--they typically nest less than 5 feet from the ground in low trees or bushes, so dogs can wipe out the nest pretty easily.

Smiley14
June 3rd, 2007, 01:41 AM
Chipping sparrows--we get those too. They're pretty tame...and small enough to sometimes get in under the Pack's radar.

Gotta be careful with them though this time of year--they typically nest less than 5 feet from the ground in low trees or bushes, so dogs can wipe out the nest pretty easily.

AH! I should have guessed a sparrow. Yeah, he was pretty brave. Petey and I were standing only a few feet away and he didn't even care. :) Hopefully I'll get some more exciting visitors soon. LOL!

chico2
June 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Smiley,I have 2 bird-houses in the backyard,hidden in the vine on my house,they both have sparrowbabies and parents working hard feeding them.
Their only enemy is the Blue Jay,not a favorite bird of mine,but they are still birds:)
There are sooo many different kinds of Sparrows,most people do not care for Sparrows,but nature would be a very quiet place if we did not have these little chatter-bugs:)

Lukka'sma
June 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
I have 2 bird-houses in the backyard,hidden in the vine on my house,they both have sparrowbabies and parents working hard feeding them.

I also have a bird house in my pear tree and every spring I get a sparrow that sits there for five or six days and sings his little heart out. From time to time another sparrow will come and have a look and leave this little fellow alone again:sad: I don't know if he is just not prime material for fatherhood or if my bird house is inadequate and the females don't like it. Wish I could have a family grow up in it though.
I just shot this pic of it through the window so might not be the best, but any ideas on why I can't seem to get this little chunk of real-estate rented!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1000759.jpg

hazelrunpack
June 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
How big is the entry, Lukka'sma? Might be too big...too easy for a raccoon to get an arm in?

It might also be too "close" where you have it hanging. Most birds like it a little bit open around the house so predators can't hang out in the branches and nab 'em as they exit. Can't really tell from the pic how close to the foliage the house is, but it looks pretty close... :shrug:

chico2
June 3rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
It looks to me like the opening is a bit big and although a tree seems to be the logical choice for a birdhouse,not a very safe one for any babies.
Too easy for any predator to get too,even cats.
I have mine right under the eaves of the house and they are safely covered by our Virginia Creeper.so far they are undiscovered by any predator,but the little ones are awfully noisy.

rainbow
June 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Geeze, I keep forgetting about this thread :o and there are such great bird pics here. :thumbs up

Byrd & mydogs,I love your feathered friends. :lovestruck:

Smiley14
June 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Smiley,I have 2 bird-houses in the backyard,hidden in the vine on my house,they both have sparrowbabies and parents working hard feeding them.
Their only enemy is the Blue Jay,not a favorite bird of mine,but they are still birds:)
There are sooo many different kinds of Sparrows,most people do not care for Sparrows,but nature would be a very quiet place if we did not have these little chatter-bugs:)

Very true, thanks Chico! Makes me feel better about my boring sparrows, LOL! I only had a hummingbird feeder last year, so this is my first time with a bird feeder. Business has been slow so far, but I think word is slowly starting to spread. Got two today! :D Still both sparrows, so hopefully others will discover it as well.

I haven't tried a birdhouse yet, but that would be fun to do as well! Is it probably too late in the season now this year? How do you attach them to your house/vine? I had a birdhouse at my previous house, but just had it hanging on a shepherd's hook stand since I had no trees in that yard. Never got anyone to stay there though.

chico2
June 4th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Don't worry,before you know it,you'll be filling that feeder every day:laughing:
I had a feeder exactly like yours once,thinking it was Squirrel-proof,I think I have a pic here somewhere..
We don't have underground cable here,so my birdhouses are attached to the hooks holding the phone and TV -cables.
Here's the pic...there is no such thing as a squirrel-safe feeder:laughing:

hazelrunpack
June 4th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Great pic, chico! :laughing:

Our squirrels kept pulling the tops off the feeders and crawling inside to pig out. We finally went out and bought mesh feeders with covers that latch on them to keep the squirrels out. Didn't take the squirrels long to loosen the mesh enough to be able to crawl in under the cover. Now they can sit inside the feeder and stay dry in the rain while eating all the bird seed! :D So much for "squirrel proofing"! :laughing:

But I find the squirrels almost as entertaining as the birds, so I don't really mind. I just have to fill the feeders a little more frequently... :shrug:

Smiley14
June 4th, 2007, 01:12 PM
LOL, Chico! That is hilarious! I just got that feeder at Target, so we'll see how long it takes the squirrels to discover it. :laughing:

rainbow
June 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
"Caught in the Act".....great pic, Chico.

chico2
June 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Hazel,I too love the Squirrels and don't mind if they eat the seeds,I even buy dried corn on the cob and peanuts to feed these little guys(neighbor lady not too pleased:laughing: ),especially now,the females have babies to feed.

Smiley14
June 10th, 2007, 01:42 AM
It's a bad picture, but I finally got a robin on my feeder today. Something other than a sparrow! LOL! It was actually eating the spilled seeds on the ground. :)

chico2
June 10th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Smiley,Robins do not normally eat seeds,I've seen them at my spilled seeds to,but they are pulling out worms,easier for them were there is no grass.
I too have a bald spot where the seeds have killed the grass and the Robins love to go there for worms.
Nice pic,I adore Robins,nicer pic than this one from last winter...

Smiley14
June 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Oops, I should have known that! :o Thanks Chico!!!! LOVE the robin in the snow pics! Even though they're a common bird, I've always loved robins! :thumbs up

rainbow
June 10th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I like robins too. :lovestruck: I'm surprised that one stuck around with all the snow though. :eek:

chico2
June 11th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Yes,I hated to see it,I fed him raisins and fruit...more and more are sticking around because of the milder weather in the winter:sad:

hazelrunpack
June 11th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Our robins still love to hunt for worms in the garden, but I'm afraid hazel has ticked off the hummingbirds. We were gone yesterday and she didn't hang out enough feeders :eek: This morning there were only 3 birds lookin' for breakfast. :sad: We're hoping the rest of them come back soon :fingerscr

Smiley14
June 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hazel, did the hummers come back today? :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
June 12th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Hazel, did the hummers come back today? :fingerscr

I saw just a few all day, then had a board meeting tonight--but hubby said that when it got on towards dusk, a whole contingent of the little darlin's showed up to partake of the nectar. :highfive: So we're good! :thumbs up :D whew! Thanks for asking! :o

Smiley14
June 13th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Awww, that's good to hear! :) I still haven't seen any this year yet! :sad: I had a handful of them last year, but none so far this year. Unless they're sneaking in and out during the early morning hours while I'm sleeping, lol.

chico2
June 14th, 2007, 07:12 AM
I often sit in my little sanctuary around 7pm outside and read or just watch the birds and I find the birds coming out of the woodworks at that time,all kinds of them,no Hummers here though,but everything else:)

Smiley14
June 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Took your advice, Chico! :) Just sat outside near the tree and read a book and soon enough, birds popping out of the bushes everywhere. LOL! Mostly swallows, but a few new guys as well. Yay! I just refilled the feeder yesterday, but they've almost cleaned it out again already! I'm off to Target in a few minutes and added more bird seed to my shopping list. :)

Smiley14
June 16th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Anyone know what they are by the way? And then more of the brave little sparrows. :)

Smiley14
June 16th, 2007, 04:34 PM
They were brave because they didn't mind Petey sitting in the doorway sleepily watching them from about 7 feet away. (Notice how Petey manages to stay in the air conditioning yet again). :laughing: Although curiosity finally won out and he had to go over to investigate.

Smiley14
June 16th, 2007, 04:37 PM
To add insult to injury, he had to eat a few sunflower seeds. The birds chirped loudly about that! :laughing:

chico2
June 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Awww Petey,so sweet:lovestruck:
The second pic is a Chickadee,they are such cute little guys and quite tame..the rest are Sparrows I think.
You just have to get yourself a bird-book and a pair of binoculars,then you'll be a fullfledged bird-nut,just like me...:laughing:

hazelrunpack
June 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Chipping Sparrows and house sparrows, it looks like.

No matter how exotic the other visitors get, though, it's the chickadees that have my heart. I just love those little guys! :lovestruck:

Chico, I think we're getting Smiley hooked! :thumbs up :D

Smiley14
June 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Yep, I'm getting hooked. :laughing:

I cropped the pictures closer so I can see the birds better. Do I have these right?

This is the house sparrow?

Smiley14
June 16th, 2007, 08:56 PM
The Chickadee?

Smiley14
June 16th, 2007, 08:56 PM
And the Chipping Sparrow? Or do I have the sparrows mixed up? :o :laughing: I think this one has pretty coloring! Love those wings! Still trying to get pics of those elusive doves. :)

hazelrunpack
June 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Yes on the chickadee, but I think the other two are both house sparrows (the first is a female, the second a male). These are the chipping sparrows:

They're smaller and slimmer than house sparrows and have bright chestnut caps with a white eye stripe and a gray rump. I love watching them--almost as entertaining as the chickadees on some days. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
June 16th, 2007, 09:25 PM
And the Chipping Sparrow? Or do I have the sparrows mixed up? :o :laughing: I think this one has pretty coloring! Love those wings! Still trying to get pics of those elusive doves. :)

That is a very nice picture of a house sparrow. It shows that they aren't quite as drab as everyone claims they are. :D

JanM
June 16th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Here's a couple from my yard - a Hairy Woodpecker and a BlackHeaded Grosbeak - from the back and the side. I also get a Flicker, Towhee, song sparrow, house finch, goldfinch, starlings, purple finch, hummingbirds, nuthatches, chickadees and some others that I can't identify yet. Getting their pictures can be a challenge!

JanM
June 16th, 2007, 09:59 PM
And this one I thought was an Oriole of some sort because he is very orange on the back but this big white tummy makes me think maybe not.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSCF0006-1.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSCF0005-1.jpg

I think those are Spotted Towhees - I get them in my yard too. Beautiful birds..

hazelrunpack
June 16th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Here's a couple from my yard - a Hairy Woodpecker and a BlackHeaded Grosbeak - from the back and the side. I also get a Flicker, Towhee, song sparrow, house finch, goldfinch, starlings, purple finch, hummingbirds, nuthatches, chickadees and some others that I can't identify yet. Getting their pictures can be a challenge!

Beautiful grosbeak! :lovestruck: We don't get Black-headed Grosbeaks around here so I've never seen any like that! I wish I could get bird shots like that! Do you have a telephoto lens or a zoom?

Smiley14
June 16th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Ah, I think I got it now, Hazel! Thanks! :)

Jan, WOW, gorgeous birds!!!!! I don't think I get those around here, at least not that I've seen so far!! Beautiful pictures!!!!

chico2
June 17th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Yes,I believe that's a Towhee,maybe Rufuos-Sided???
Very pretty:thumbs up
We see more different kind of birds in the spring..I guess they just stop here for a snack and a rest.

Hazel,yeah,I think we have Smiley hooked:laughing:

Winston
June 17th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Here is our 1 little falcon in the Hamilton Nest! She is enjoying the view from the Sheraton Hotel while she lies down for a nap!

Cindy

Winston
June 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
A couple more of her !!

chico2
June 17th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Awww Winston,there is only one left:confused:
It's hard to see,but is he big enough to fly now??
I guess the third pic answered my question:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I love the way she's testing her wings, Winston! Must be a sorta scary time for them--they want to fly...but it's an awfully long way down! :eek: And then that final plunge, spread the wings and catch the updraft! :cloud9: Think of what a thrill that must be for them!

Winston
June 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Chico there are 2 left but one is missing from the nest...She is at the Ontario Vet Clinic getting better....We lost the other 2 and they beleive it was a respiratory infectiont they get from pigeons! The one female left is named Jump Up and the one at the vets is called Blue Feet....One of the symptoms of the infection is they get blue feet! Hopefully she will be back next week because her sister is gonna fledge the nest anyday! We are hoping for a graceful strong flight

Cindy

JanM
June 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Beautiful grosbeak! :lovestruck: We don't get Black-headed Grosbeaks around here so I've never seen any like that! I wish I could get bird shots like that! Do you have a telephoto lens or a zoom?

I have a zoom on a Canon REbel Digital SLR - I'm still learning how to use it but I'm getting there, slowly but surely!

chico2
June 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hazel,Winston,I agree can just imagie how it must feel,free to soar!
I love watching the Hawks in the sky,"my"crows bravely tries to keep them away from here,amazing to watch:thumbs up

JanM
June 17th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Here's one of my hummers ... it's a Rufus

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Oh, he's pretty, Jan! We only get the ruby-throated hummers around here! :D I still love 'em, but it's nice to see a little variety now and then.

I love standing out under the pine where the feeders are, closing my eyes, and listening to the tree hum as the birds go back and forth to the feeders. :cloud9:

JanM
June 17th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Isn't that a neat sound when the hummers are buzzing all over?? I'm fortunate because I can sit on my deck or be anywhere in my yard and the hummers are just a'flyin around... I often get squabbles over the feeder but as far as I can tell, no-one gets hurt!

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I'd love to know how they make that jet-fighter sound when they zoom in fast! :D We always know the spring migration is in full swing when we start hearing that! I've been looking for nests this year, but so far no luck... I've never looked before so I might just be missin' 'em. I know which trees the mamas are going back to after they drink, but the nests are either extremely well hidden or too high up for me to see. :o

rainbow
June 17th, 2007, 11:13 PM
JanM, awesome photos. :thumbs up I love looking at the bird pics but never know what most of them are. :o I love the one with the orange breast. :lovestruck:

chico2
June 18th, 2007, 06:53 AM
You guys are sooo lucky to get Hummers,I faithfully put out my feeder every spring and in all these years I've only seen ONE Hummer:sad:
My son who lives just east of Edmonton(ALTA),gets tons of them on his balcony,four floors up,strange:confused:

Smiley14
June 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Oh Winston and Jan, those are GORGEOUS!!!! Amazing shots!!! Glad to hear the falcon is doing well too! :lovestruck: Jan, I'm sooo jealous of your camera! Beautiful pics!!!

I finally saw a new bird at the feeder today! Got so excited, ran to get the camera, but he was gone when I came back. :( LOL! It was a solid black body with a bright reddish-orange head. No idea what he was! I'm keeping the camera by the window now, hehe.

chico2
June 20th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Smiley,you got me stumped,black with a orange/red head:confused:
You sure it was not a brown head,like a Cow-Bird?
I searched through my whole birdbook,could not find your birdie:laughing:
You probably get many different birds I don't get,maybe someone else knows...

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Wow, Smiley! I'm stumped, too! The only thing that comes close is an oriole--but they don't have solid black bodies...

There is a western form of sapsucker, I believe, that has a reddish-orange head, but the body is not solid--lots of flecks and a wing-bar... :shrug:

I hope you see it again! Now I'm intrigued! :D

jessi76
June 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM
The only bird pic I have... my little "nuggets" (Mourning doves)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/birds.jpg

These little ones were found on the ground, near a busted up nest in my front yard, early last summer. after unsuccessfull attempts to reunite them w/ their momma, we took them in for a few days until I could safely get them to a rehab center. Otherwise they surely would not of survived.

I brought them to a large wildlife vet clinic/university nearby, who cared for them until they were old enough to go into rehab. They ran tests to be sure they weren't injured too.

Happily, they were just fine, grew up, and were successfully rehabbed.

My front feeders are full of gold finches, grosbeaks, cardinals, cow birds, blue jays, robins, red wing blackbirds, chickadees, etc... and yet every single time I reach for the camera, they all take off!

Smiley14
June 22nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
Wow, Smiley! I'm stumped, too! The only thing that comes close is an oriole--but they don't have solid black bodies...

There is a western form of sapsucker, I believe, that has a reddish-orange head, but the body is not solid--lots of flecks and a wing-bar... :shrug:

I hope you see it again! Now I'm intrigued! :D

Hmm, my first thought was oriole, as we had those growing up, but I wasn't sure. I saw him so fast, the body looked solid black, but maybe it wasn't. I saw what looked like a solid black back with a very bright orange-red head turned around to look at me before flying off. Haven't seen him again yet, but I'll keep looking! You guys have got me hooked! :D

BUT!!!! I did finally catch that elusive dove today!!! Not sure what kind he is? Morning Dove? Is that the kind found in the wild? But here is that dove I've been hearing for the past couple of summers, LOL!

Smiley14
June 22nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
He was grooming. Cute! :)

Smiley14
June 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Smiley,you got me stumped,black with a orange/red head:confused:
You sure it was not a brown head,like a Cow-Bird?
I searched through my whole birdbook,could not find your birdie:laughing:
You probably get many different birds I don't get,maybe someone else knows...

It was definitely a bright orange/red head, that's what caught my eye first, how bright it was! But now I'm wondering if maybe the body wasn't solid black after all. That's what my eye registered in the few seconds before he flew off, but I only saw his back, not his belly. So I could have easily missed something! I need to get a birdbook too, LOL! Thanks for looking though! I'll keep watching for him! :)

Smiley14
June 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
The only bird pic I have... my little "nuggets" (Mourning doves)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/birds.jpg

These little ones were found on the ground, near a busted up nest in my front yard, early last summer. after unsuccessfull attempts to reunite them w/ their momma, we took them in for a few days until I could safely get them to a rehab center. Otherwise they surely would not of survived.

I brought them to a large wildlife vet clinic/university nearby, who cared for them until they were old enough to go into rehab. They ran tests to be sure they weren't injured too.

Happily, they were just fine, grew up, and were successfully rehabbed.

My front feeders are full of gold finches, grosbeaks, cardinals, cow birds, blue jays, robins, red wing blackbirds, chickadees, etc... and yet every single time I reach for the camera, they all take off!

Ohhh, that is so cute!!! Glad to hear they made it! :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Yep, Jessi's cute little bird with the spikey 'do' grew up into mourning doves like yours, Smiley. :D

I had another thought about your red-head. If the bird had it's back turned, you might have been seeing black wings, as opposed to a black back. In that case, it could have been a scarlet tanager if the head was red; or still possibly an oriole, if the head was orange?

We have scarlet tanagers nesting around the house this year for the first time since we moved here in 2004. I'm really enjoying having them around. They sing like a robin, but hoarser, as though they had a sore throat. Occasionally they throw out a sharp "chik-burrr, chik-burrr", which is a diagnostic call for a scarlet tanager--no other bird around here makes a call like that. The males are a flashy scarlet with black wings--the females are a duller yellowish-green with black wings.

jiorji
June 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
heheheheee...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/guineaPIGgirl/Picture627.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/guineaPIGgirl/Picture212k.jpg

TeriM
June 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
:laughing: great pic Jiorji. Love all these bird pics, we unfortunately had to take our feeder down for the summer now as we have bad bear problems in our area. I definately miss seeing all the birds but we still have the hummingbird feeder and are getting some pretty good traffic for that :thumbs up .

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
What is that bird eating!? :eek: Talk about stuffing your face! :laughing:

We had bear problems next door, too, Teri--bent the steel shepherd's hook parallel to the ground and trashed the feeders. The squirrels loved it cuz the platform feeder ended up 3 inches from the ground and they were using it as a table. :D But I let all my seed feeders go empty now this week so we don't attract bears, too. The Sheriff has been busily patrolling the perimeter during the day, but he's gotta sleep sometime, and the bear always strikes at night! :rolleyes:

TeriM
June 22nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
We had bear problems next door, too, Teri--bent the steel shepherd's hook parallel to the ground and trashed the feeders. The squirrels loved it cuz the platform feeder ended up 3 inches from the ground and they were using it as a table. :D But I let all my seed feeders go empty now this week so we don't attract bears, too. The Sheriff has been busily patrolling the perimeter during the day, but he's gotta sleep sometime, and the bear always strikes at night! :rolleyes:

Yep, they are sneaky that way, although I've seen bears stolling across the local golf course in the middle of the afternoon :eek: . Some of our neighbors are idiots and don't lock up their garbage properly so that just adds to the problems :frustrated: . The end result is usually the bear being destroyed which is not fair :sad: .

jiorji
June 22nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
What is that bird eating!? :eek: Talk about stuffing your face! :laughing:

popcorn:laughing:

chico2
June 22nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
WOW,you girls have bears:yell: no bears here in smalltown Ontario.
I'd love to see a bear,at a safe distance:laughing:

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
I'd love to see a bear,at a safe distance:laughing:

A wise wish! I used to just want to see a bear. Finally saw one on foot while birdwatching...and it came toward me...:eek: Now I want to see a bear...from a car...or from inside the house...or from the top of the Sears Tower :laughing:

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Some of our neighbors are idiots and don't lock up their garbage properly so that just adds to the problems :frustrated: . The end result is usually the bear being destroyed which is not fair :sad: .

That happens here, too--mostly in the outlying areas of the cities. Some people actually put food out for them and then complain that all the bears are making the neighborhood unsafe! :rolleyes:

Smiley14
June 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Jiorji, that is hilarious!!! Awesome pic!!!! :laughing: Love it! :)

Smiley14
June 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
YES!!!! Finally captured that mysterious bird!!!!! YAY! And no wonder you guys couldn't figure out what he was, I was WAYYYYYY off in his coloring! LOL! :o I saw him so quickly through the kitchen window and through bushy leaves...that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! :) But anyway, sorry for the horrible pics, I was actually busy taking pics of the cute bunny on the ground below, happened to look up to the feeder and saw him sitting there! I about jumped! Snapped a couple pics without hardly focusing and then he flew off.

So, here he finally is. :) All that for a red and BROWN birdie, not a red and black one. :o And he has way more than just a red head... :laughing: :o

Smiley14
June 23rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
One more. :)

JanM
June 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Looks like a pretty handsome male House Finch.

hazelrunpack
June 23rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
Very handsome! That's gotta be the reddest one I've seen for quite a while! :thumbs up

What else you got hanging around there, Smiley? :D

rainbow
June 24th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Jiorji, great pic of the popcorn eating bird :thumbs up .....what is it? :o

Smiley, glad you caught the elusive bird. :thumbs up I'd never have known what it was either. :o

And, don't get me going about the bears being destroyed because of stupid people :mad: ....it happens all the time around here. :sad:

chico2
June 24th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Smiley,yes it's a pretty House Finch,they sing really nice,his female looks almost like a slender Sparrow.
We used to have many House Finches,but according to Cornell University,many HF's died off from some sort of eye-decease.:sad:

JanM
June 24th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Finally got a picture of momma Hairy Woodpecker feeding baby - and one of a House Finch too..

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Oh, that's cool, Jan! Feeding baby from a suet feeder! :D (I think he's taking the easy way out...so much easier than huntin' for grubs :laughing:)

Smiley14
June 24th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Ahhh, a house finch! Thanks guys!!!!!

Jan, WOW!!!! I love those pics!!! So cool!!!

rainbow
June 25th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Great pics, Jan.

chico2
June 25th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Jan,great pics love the woodpecker-family!
I get those too,never thought of putting out suet in the summer though,I do in the winter.

JanM
June 25th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the comments! I do the suet year-round and find it attracts different birds at different times - the Stellar Jays flock to the suet in the winter - as do the chickadees and nuthatches and woodpeckers and infrequent flickers. In the summer it is the woodpeckers, starlings, chickadees but not very often and a rare nuthatch and infrequent flickers .

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Here's some live video of a woodpecker family. :lovestruck:

http://www.wavelit.com/index.asp?ch=Wildlife&sh=woody

chico2
June 29th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I just love the Flicker,when I first heard(can't miss it!)and saw it,I had no idea what it was,obviously a Wood-Pecker,but one I'd never seen before.
They seem to stick to really high places,I often see them on top or the sides of the hydropoles,eating bugs.

Goldyy
June 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Awesome pics everyone!!! the popcorn eatin bird is hillariuos:laughing: here are a few from my yard (white-crowned sparrow,robins,bluejay)

Goldyy
June 29th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Here is a Great Blue Heron i sat and watched one day on the way to town.

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2007, 01:31 PM
It's so nice to see a white-crowned sparrow! We get tons of the white-throated with just a rare appearance from a white-crowned. It's always exciting to see one! :thumbs up Are they nesting near you, Goldyy?

Goldyy
June 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Yes they are Hazel..i live in area called the Carden Plain we have many species of birds that nest here and stop over while migrating.. i have identified about 45 species of birds in my yard alone. Here is an Eastern Kingbird one of my favorite bug catchin birds to watch

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Oh, I love those guys! So feisty! :D But cover your head when they swoop at you! :laughing:

We live in the middle of a large (136,000 acre) county forest. This year we counted up the birds singing in the morning after the migration ended and we made a list--we're at about 45 species nesting around us, too. I love it--we used to live in the city--this is a bird-watcher's paradise in comparison. :lovestruck:

Goldyy
June 29th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Thats wonderful Hazel, its a bird watchers paradise here as well...and I also LOVE IT!!!!

chico2
June 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Oh,you guys make me envious:sad: I have however had a lot of white-crowned Sparrows and they are still around.
In Suburbia we still get a good selection of birds,especially with all our different feeders.

pags
June 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Ah! Goldy's heron pictures reminded me.... I just saw one of those too. :)

chico2
June 29th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Aren't they just beautiful:lovestruck:
We only have the regular birds down by the lake(Ontario)but still beautiful...

Goldyy
June 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM
pags, that is realy nice shot of the heron and chico i love those swans!!

pags
June 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
here's a fuzzier one.. what's sad is if you look in the background -- you see debris. the happy part is -- the birds are back. :)

JanM
June 29th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Great Heron and Swan and Geese pictures!

pags
June 29th, 2007, 04:26 PM
oh wow chico!! but we don't have swans!!!! gorgeous!!!

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2007, 07:57 PM
We only get swans when they're passing through to get to Chico's place. :D Beautiful swans, chico! And I love herons! :lovestruck: So majestic, but a little intimidating with those bills if you get too close! :eek:

rainbow
June 30th, 2007, 12:20 AM
The swans and herons are gorgeous. :cloud9:

rainbow
June 30th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Does anyone get kildeer? There's some nesting in the parking lot across the road. I love those little birds. :cloud9:

chico2
June 30th, 2007, 06:58 AM
The swans are usually here year around,Lake Ontario does not freeze over and there are lots of people feeding them..against the Towns orders:laughing:
I've seen Blue Herons,friends of ours have a huge man-made pond,made with groundwater and they get all kinds of Herons and other creatures,beautiful..

jiorji
June 30th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Jiorji, great pic of the popcorn eating bird :thumbs up .....what is it? :o

it's a white pigeon :D ...a very hungry one

hazelrunpack
June 30th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Does anyone get kildeer? There's some nesting in the parking lot across the road. I love those little birds. :cloud9:

Lots of kildeers here! They nest in the farm fields. Have you ever seen the babies? So tiny, remind me of bumblebees for some weird reason--but they're so cute walking around with the parents! :D

rainbow
July 1st, 2007, 12:39 AM
Lots of kildeers here! They nest in the farm fields. Have you ever seen the babies? So tiny, remind me of bumblebees for some weird reason--but they're so cute walking around with the parents! :D

The babies are soooo cute. :cloud9: But, they don't walk here......they run like the dickens and are so funny to watch. :lovestruck: Poor mom and dad go crazy trying to keep up with them. :D

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM
The babies are soooo cute. :cloud9: But, they don't walk here......they run like the dickens and are so funny to watch. :lovestruck: Poor mom and dad go crazy trying to keep up with them. :D

:laughing: Sound like little brats! he he Did Mom and Dad have to go talk to Dr Phil to get over the stress of raising the little hellions? :D

ExtantHominine
July 2nd, 2007, 09:48 AM
Oh! how about this one??? Isnt she beautiful?

Cindy

Cindy, did you take that picture? What a beautiful raptor! I wonder who has been banding her. Not one but two. hmmmm

I believe she is a Coopers Hawk, yes? We have one that frequents our front and back yard. She keeps our bird feeders free of sick birds.
Beautiful!!!!!

ExtantHominine
July 2nd, 2007, 09:57 AM
here's a fuzzier one.. what's sad is if you look in the background -- you see debris. the happy part is -- the birds are back. :)

You know, that is sad. There seems to be a troubling trend unfolding further here. There is a wonderful Great Blue whom I have lovingly named Oscar. He/she lives right up the street from us in a tiny inlet off of the Great Miami River. It is full of garbage and debris (hence the name). I became tired of complaining about the mess, and trying to get someone else to come and clean it up, so I put on my big-girl-panties, a pair of waders and went and did it myself. My family and I go down there from time to time and clean up. It takes a couple of days and 30 or so burlap bags to clean up the area and by the next couple of days, it needs to be cleaned up again.

The park wont do anything. People dump stuff back there too. It makes me so angry. I have counted no less than 9 different species of waterfoul in this one tiny space not to mention the terrestrial animals. I am ashamed for the human race when I look at Oscar and the condition he has to live in because of us. They are wonderful creatures and if he could speak in a language we could understand, I wonder what he would say. "Pick up your *&%! People! There is a garbage can right there!"

chico2
July 2nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
The debris Pags pointed out,is still leftover from Hurricane Katrina,not so much from people dumping garbage..
I still salute you for cleaning up other peoples messes and making life easier and safer for our wildlife...oh and by the way,WELCOME TO OUR FORUM!!

chico2
July 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
Here are a couple of pics of "my"Pigeons,waiting for us to go inside so they can come to the feeders.
Unfortunately I only have a 3X zoom,hopefully soon to change;)
We counted 26 pigeons..

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Chico, the Pack wants to move to your place. They love chasing flocks of pigeons as they circle past...running the whole time looking up...it's a wonder no one has ever run into anything! :laughing:

Now that we've moved from the city, though, we don't have any more pigeons. A few mourning doves, but they just don't flock up like the pigeons used to. Very disappointing if you're an energetic dog looking for some excitement. :shrug:

Winston
July 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Hey heres a great photo!

This is Madame X our resident female Peregrine Falcon!

She is beautiful!

Cindy

Winston
July 3rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Okay 1 more ! I couldnt resist! One of her in flight!

Oh! and I cannot take credit for these photos! They were taken buy one of our falconwatch crew!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Gorgeous Madame X!

Did the babies finally fledge safely?

Lukka'sma
July 5th, 2007, 01:08 PM
The theme for today's hike with Lukka seemed to be Turkeys. We saw this fella and two females. Very hard to get a clear shot with Lukka pulling on the leash and trying to get hold of the turks, so like always my pictures are one handed and not too steady.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1000931.jpg

chico2
July 5th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Hazel,I think there was only one baby left,the others died from some sort of desease.
Lukkas mom,that pic is really nice,I've never seen a wild Turkey.

Lukka'sma
July 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Actually this is a girl turkey not a boy. Hen I think is what it might be called but don't know for sure

chico2
July 6th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Today I sat perfectly still,trying to get some good pics of some of my beautiful Pigeons eating,this is all I got,before they noticed me and flew off:yell:

pags
July 6th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Excellent chico!! You're more patient than I. :) The white one is so striking.

hazelrunpack
July 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Somewhere tucked away in hazel's photo files are ... *stretch* ...some pics of .... *toss that old shirt outta the photo box*... wild turkeys ...*what's under this old boot?... Aha! here they are...tucked way back in the corner!

Not a good pic, taken through the deck rail...in winter eating seed fallen from the feeders above. Turkeys always strike me as very primeval looking birds...maybe it's just the size. :shrug:

chico2
July 7th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Pags,we get 2 white ones,they look like angels:angel: one choclate brown and others with all kinds of colours.
In the beginning we used to think"oh no,Pigeons:yell: "but they don't dirty around here and are fun to watch,a bird is a bird,is a birdhttp://bestsmileys.com/animals/6.gif

Hazel,I agree,the turkeys look like something out of Jurassic Park,only smaller:laughing:

ChancesMom
July 24th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Great photos!

We have a couple of feeders and a bird bath here with quite a few birds... I know what some of them are, but there are so many!!!

For those of you who are great at identifying them, I am not sure how you do it!

Recently... a group of crows have taking a liking to eating here... Really, I wouldn't mind if they just ate normal but they are worse than the squirrels! Plus they don't share nice... Does anyone else have a problem with crows?

This is the first year that we have ever had this type of problem.... I am pretty sure that they are nesting in the weeping willow across the street...

A huge amount showed up in early spring so we stopped feeding for a while to get rid of them... We started up again later and were going fine and now we have a few that are back...

chico2
July 24th, 2007, 06:57 AM
CM,you are not asking the right person,because I love my Crows:) and feed them leftovers,nothing goes in the garbage.
Crows do not eat seeds,as far as I've seen,at least they don't come to my feeders,maybe you are talking about black-birds(Grackles),but then again,it's difficult to miss a Crow:laughing:
I have 2 Crows coming every day and they just introduced me to their baby:laughing:
We do not have many around here,West Nile virus took it's toll..:sad:

Lukka'sma
July 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM
A huge amount showed up in early spring

I agree with Chico and would say these are grackles. Iv'e never know the crows to migrate so they would not likely arrive all of a sudden in the spring like the grackles do. You would be able to tell by the voice. I kind of associate the voice of a grackle with a rusy hinge. The crows seem to have so many different calls and when they make chit-chat with each other it really sounds like a full blown conversation.
I often hear the bluejays also talking with each other in several different voice patterns.:offtopic:

hazelrunpack
July 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Yeah, probably grackles or maybe some other types of blackbirds...not sure if species like rusty blackbirds visit feeders, but they do eat grain...

I've always liked crows, too, chico. Now I'm learning to tell them from the ravens, who are also characters. :D

But right now, I'm concentrating on the hummers. The adults are getting ready to take off (or have already started), judging by the number of youngsters coming to the feeders, and soon it will be just the local youngsters before the big push of the migration. I'm already filling feeders 3 times a day--going through about 3 liters of nectar from morning to morning! :eek: Not sure how ol' hazel is gonna keep up when the migration starts in earnest! http://foolstown.com/sm/obm.gif

:o

Fun to watch the llittle guys, though. I can always tell when the youngsters arrive because there are a lot of female-colored birds with the shorter bills of the males. So far it looks like they had a really good year! :lovestruck:

Lukka'sma
July 24th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Hazel has put a secret solution in her feeders this year to attract all the hummers and I didn't even get onehttp://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/crykleenex.gif

chico2
July 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
No hummer here either:yell: Here's one of my pretty pigeons though;)

Lukka'sma
July 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
How gorgeous! That almost looks like a painted portrait.
The fellow a couple of houses down from me has the tumbler pigeons (not sure if that is what they are actually called) and watching them fly is pretty funny. You almost think they will fall out of the sky when they start to tumble downward:laughing:

chico2
July 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Hazel,over the years I've learned to distinguish what the Crow are saying,when they are upset,when they call their babies or when they call everyone because I put out food,I just love them,they are big and black but still beautiful to me.

Lukka's mom,I've never heard of a Tumbler Pigeon,but I think they are all fascinating(sp?),here is a pic,not a very good one,I only have a 3 X Zoom,from this afternoon...

hazelrunpack
July 24th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hazel has put a secret solution in her feeders this year to attract all the hummers and I didn't even get onehttp://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/crykleenex.gif

I'm not sure what I've got in there...I thought it was sugar water, but it seems to be especially yummy--the customers are running me ragged keeping their glasses full! :eek: I'm hoping to get some video when the migration picks up.

Chico, I love the big black birds, too. They're smart, sassy, and they scavenge. One can never have too many scavengers. :thumbs up :lovestruck: But I mostly like them for being smart and sassy. :D

chico2
July 25th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Hazel,I just dumped the old stuff in my Hummer-feeder and refilled it :pray: you'll redirect some of yours:pray:
I was told to put it where there are flowers,so it's hanging in my little crabapple-tree over my garden,maybe I should move it,where it's more open???