Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Let's see some bird pictures!

Pages : 1 [2]

hazelrunpack
July 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hazel,I just dumped the old stuff in my Hummer-feeder and refilled it :pray: you'll redirect some of yours:pray:
I was told to put it where there are flowers,so it's hanging in my little crabapple-tree over my garden,maybe I should move it,where it's more open???

I have mine hanging beneath a young red pine. They really seem to like pines and spruces, if you have any around. And they seem to like shade--they'll go to the shadiest feeders, first:

27426 27427

There were always some lilies and phlox in there--this year we put up the garden fencing and put in some salvia and impatiens as well.

ChancesMom
July 26th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Thank you!

You could be right on what they are called... They are huge and so black that their heads are nearly blue... and they eat tons! I mean... really eat a lot!!!

We have a feeder that is about 3 feet long and they can knock off half of it in an afternoon!

Like I said, I wouldn't care if they didn't eat so much... we cannot afford to go through that much seed...

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 08:35 AM
CM:laughing: their heads are a bluey/green colour,so you have Gracklers for sure,not Crows and they are HUGE compared to a Sparrow,but small compared to the much larger Crow.

Rick C
July 26th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Winter bird feeder, our backyard . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/DSC_0389-edit1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Lukka'sma
July 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM
CM the good thing about the fact that you have grackles is that they will migrate so you will have a reprieve during the colder months. The little song birds will be happy about that and glad to have the seeds when they need them most. I had to buy a feeder that had a cage aroung it to stop the larger black birds from eating the entire tube of seeds in one afternoon. Smaller song birds fit through the holes quite easily.

Rick those are very pretty birds on that feeder, do you know what they are? I don't think they are common to SWOntario.

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I think the one looking at the camera is a Chipping Sparrow:confused:

hazelrunpack
July 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Nope...I think they're redpolls. Probably Common Redpolls, but there may be some Hoary Redpolls mixed in...

We get them every so often in winter. They're really cute. :lovestruck:

ChancesMom
July 27th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the info! :D

Smiley14
August 6th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Haha, finally caught some hummers today after months of trying! :highfive: They didn't turn out very well, but I'm just happy to get them! :)

Here's my favorite one first of all, taken as the sun was setting. Belle stopped playing with her ball and looked at it, which drew my attention to it. :)

Smiley14
August 6th, 2007, 01:31 AM
And then a few others! Even worse quality, but I'm posting them anyway. :)

Smiley14
August 6th, 2007, 01:32 AM
And another of the feeder. Not a new bird and really blurry, but I thought the wings looked kind of cool. :)

chico2
August 6th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Oh Smiley,the first pic is just beautiful,a piece of art:thumbs up
The others are great too...that is a HoneySuckle(sp?) right??
I had one of those,since I was told they attract Hummers,but it died and no Hummers..:sad:

Lukka'sma
August 6th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Oh Hummers:cloud9:
All my hummers ended up in Wisconsin this year:cry:
They were far more interested in the fluid in a certain persons feeders:cry: . I don't want to point fingers but her name sounds something like this. Starts with h and ends with azelrunpack:laughing:
But next year....next year I will try again.

chico2
August 6th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Lukkas mom:laughing: that's sooo true,that's why I had none this year:yell:
My feeder at least keeps the bees happy:laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM
:eek: :eek: The migration is starting. :eek: :eek: I filled all the feeders 3 times yesterday, and one of them 4 times.... :eek: :eek: Almost ran out of nectar so spent the day boiling sugar water :eek: :eek: hazel is exhausted and it's only just beginning--only the adults are moving right now! I can't imagine how the three of us are going to keep up with the rush when the young of the year start pushing south, as well!

http://foolstown.com/sm/obm.gif

:eek:

hazelrunpack
August 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Smiley, I saw that silhouette in the other thread--I thought it was a silhouette of one of those lawn sculptures at first. It's just a totally awesome picture! :thumbs up

I'm hoping to get some more hummin' video this migration. The next couple of weeks are going to be pretty active, I think. Gotta make sure I have enough tapes! :p

Lukka'sma
August 6th, 2007, 09:55 AM
:eek: :eek: The migration is starting. :eek: :eek: I filled all the feeders 3 times yesterday, and one of them 4 times.... :eek: :eek: Almost ran out of nectar so spent the day boiling sugar water :eek: :eek: hazel is exhausted and it's only just beginning--only the adults are moving right now! I can't imagine how the three of us are going to keep up with the rush when the young of the year start pushing south, as well!

http://foolstown.com/sm/obm.gif

:eek:

Lukka'sma can hardly contain her excitement waiting for the Toronto Stock Exchange to open so she can buy shares in white sugar......she's gonna benefit one way or another from hazels efforts.

hazelrunpack
August 6th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Lukka'sma can hardly contain her excitement waiting for the Toronto Stock Exchange to open so she can buy shares in white sugar......she's gonna benefit one way or another from hazels efforts.

good move...hazel has 5 bags in the cupboard and is hoping it gets her through the week :eek:

Actually, hazel welcomes anyone who wants to hire on as official nectar boiler and feeder filler. :thumbs up :D Job is short-term--through about the second week of September... Whaddya say, Lukka'sma? We have a big yard for Lukka to play in...and lots of doggie companionship for her. :dog:

Lukka'sma
August 6th, 2007, 10:17 AM
good move...hazel has 5 bags in the cupboard and is hoping it gets her through the week :eek:

Actually, hazel welcomes anyone who wants to hire on as official nectar boiler and feeder filler. :thumbs up :D Job is short-term--through about the second week of September... Whaddya say, Lukka'sma? We have a big yard for Lukka to play in...and lots of doggie companionship for her. :dog:

I'd love the job but I can't find the Hazelnut Patch located anywhere on the map. Is it near Milwaukee??????

hazelrunpack
August 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I'd love the job but I can't find the Hazelnut Patch located anywhere on the map. Is it near Milwaukee??????

Nope...north and west of there...closer to Eau Claire... Just watch for the migrating hordes of hummingbirds and follow them! :eek: :p

chico2
August 6th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Hazel,I wish you would just stop bragging:laughing: :laughing: seeing you lured all the Hummers away from Ontario Canada,mind you,I go trough a 25 kilo(lb's ???)bag of birdseeds every 2 weeks,those birdies keep us busy:laughing:
Still,I wish you could have let me have at least a couple of Hummers:sad:

Smiley14
August 6th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Oh Smiley,the first pic is just beautiful,a piece of art:thumbs up
The others are great too...that is a HoneySuckle(sp?) right??
I had one of those,since I was told they attract Hummers,but it died and no Hummers..:sad:

Thanks Chico! Yep, that's my honeysuckle vine. I have four of them. I've posted them in the garden forum. The things are mutants, LOL, growing over 9 feet tall now. :) There are usually a few hummers hanging around one of them all day long.

Smiley14
August 6th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Smiley, I saw that silhouette in the other thread--I thought it was a silhouette of one of those lawn sculptures at first. It's just a totally awesome picture! :thumbs up

I'm hoping to get some more hummin' video this migration. The next couple of weeks are going to be pretty active, I think. Gotta make sure I have enough tapes! :p

Thanks Hazel! I'm just happy to finally get a hummer on camera! :) Oh, I hope you're able to get more video!!! That is just SO cool!

glitterless
August 10th, 2007, 05:11 AM
The theme for today's hike with Lukka seemed to be Turkeys. We saw this fella and two females. Very hard to get a clear shot with Lukka pulling on the leash and trying to get hold of the turks, so like always my pictures are one handed and not too steady.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1000931.jpg

I love this pic! I'll have to find one of our old bronze breasted turkey, "Tom," who looked a lot like a wild turkey. He was gorgeous. My dad found the poor old boy living in a tiny shed among many goats, chickens, and rabbits. Tom came to live with us and had a few good years. He was such a character. I really miss him.

I found this photo online: http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/poultry/turkeys/bronze/bronze-2.jpg

It's not my Tom, but it gives you an idea. I guess they aren't the most gorgeous creatures in the world, but they do have quite teh personality!

Smiley14
August 10th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I don't know if I'd call them gorgeous, but I do think they're kind of cute! :lovestruck: :o

chico2
August 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Great pics,I think they are in their own way kind of beautiful,not their fault if they were not born to be Peacocks:laughing:

glitterless
August 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Awww..I know. I used to have rats and we had a couple of breeding pairs for awhile. I was only a child at the time, and I remember telling my babysitter how cute the little rattie babies were. She was appalled and told me that they were horrid looking ;)

While turkey toms don't have the nicest faces, I still think their colours can be gorgeous. In a certain light, Tom's feathers were just gorgeous.

I'll have to get a photo of our meat turkeys too. Their all white, but their young right now and have the cutest faces. They aren't all lumpy looking like the older toms.

Lukka'sma
August 14th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Chico check out this little one
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds001.jpg

I managed to snatch one of Hazels hummers away from her this morning:D :D Hope it stays around a day or so since this is the only one I have seen this year. Don't tell Hazel.

chico2
August 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Awww you are lucky:thumbs up very pretty!!
I have a couple of birdhouses attached to my house,hidden by the Virginia Creeper growing in the back.
Well,I only get sparrows in there and there has been three sets of babies.
Before the male and female both fed the babies,but now the male is gone:confused: and the poor female is working soo hard by herself.
It's strange though,because other females seem to want access to the babies,I don't know if they are her earlier babies trying to get back to the house or not,or if it's other females trying to get to her babies??
We keep an eye on them,the birdhouse is really close to our deck,I am just baffled by the other females behaviour.
Wish I could find a good birdbook,or site that explained all their behaviours.

hazelrunpack
August 14th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Chico check out this little one
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/birds001.jpg

I managed to snatch one of Hazels hummers away from her this morning:D :D Hope it stays around a day or so since this is the only one I have seen this year. Don't tell Hazel.

It's Harrald! We've been lookin' for him! :laughing: he he

We're getting the start of the migration in earnest now. A very slow and steady increase in the number of birds... Mostly adolescents--the males have slightly shorter bills on average than the females, so you can tell the females from the young males...and I'm seeing only slightly more fems than males, so I'm assuming the adults are pretty much cleared out and the adolescents are starting to move now... We have a cupboard full of sugar bags in anticipation of the big rush! :thumbs up

I also have some hummer footage...but the connection is lousy so I won't be able to upload it right away! :yell: Sigh :frustrated:

Lukka'sma
August 15th, 2007, 12:13 AM
It's Harrald! We've been lookin' for him! :laughing: he he

I knew you would notice your count down, even if only by one.
I was only able to get a couple of short glimpses of this hummer, my chickadee kept running it off:frustrated: . Oh, I would love to see a video of your hummers in action. Hope at some point you can post it.

hazelrunpack
August 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I was finally able to upload a short hummer video. This little female was being extremely cooperative while I was standing there with the scary black camera :eek:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=957280

hazel is pretty sure it's a female and not a young-of-the-year male (which would not have a red throat right now) because of the length of the bill. The adult females seem to have slightly longer (on average) bills than the adult males and hazel has made a leap of logic :o and is assuming that the same holds true for the young-of-the-year.

The bird in the video has a bill that is noticeably longer than her head is wide. If you look closely at the bird flitting behind her (slightly out of focus, but sufficiently clear) the bill length seems proportionately shorter--so hazel is guessin' that that is a young-of-the-year male.

As to whether this is one of this year's fems or an adult, hazel would need the powers of madame hazel and her tarot cards to know for sure! :laughing:

chico2
August 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Hazel,great video:thumbs up I also watched the"rush hour traffic"one:laughing: :laughing:

Lukka'sma
August 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I loved those videos too. Watched a couple of them also. Holy Smokes you are not kidding when you say they show up in masses. I just can't imagine that many of them all at once, what a sight to see in person.......looks for truck keys to head in your direction

hazelrunpack
August 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I loved those videos too. Watched a couple of them also. Holy Smokes you are not kidding when you say they show up in masses. I just can't imagine that many of them all at once, what a sight to see in person.......looks for truck keys to head in your direction

It would be a good time to come...I think the migration is getting started in earnest. The feeders have started out full the past couple of days and required filling three times apiece...so we're at about 3 liters a day and increasing... :eek:

And I broke one of the carafes I keep my nectar in tonight! :yell: Gonna hafta find something else to put it in, or I won't be able to keep enough nectar on hand to satisfy the demands of my little guests! :o

hazelrunpack
August 18th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I had an almost decent connection tonight and managed to upload three more videos. The migration is really getting into full swing now.

Breakfast at Hazel Run :D:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=968043

Lunch...
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=968100

...and dinner:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=968258

Lukka'sma
August 18th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Those are great Hazel. I am still in shock at the number of birds you get.

chico2
August 18th, 2007, 08:01 AM
OMG,how sweet is that :cloud9: I am just slowly turning green with envy:laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 18th, 2007, 02:33 PM
They're really swarming today--I just filled the feeders again for the third time! Every 3 hours!!! :eek:

But it's raining and that always pushes the birds south. Unfortunately, since my video camera is highly water intolerant and madame hazel melts in the rain, it also keeps me from getting any good video :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
August 18th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I finally made a plastic wrap umbrella and took the camera out to brave the rain. Here are some of the videos:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=973681

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=973745

I love to watch the birds flitting down to the feeders from the pine tree. The whole tree is humming--they're waiting their turns up in the branches, taking shelter from the rain and only coming out to feed. I tried to take some video that shows all three feeders plus the birds up in some of the branches but it's too long...too big...I can't upload it! :frustrated: :yell:

Lukka'sma
August 26th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Isn't she beautiful

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/hummingbird007.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/hummingbird009.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/hummingbird003.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/hummingbird001.jpg

chico2
August 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Very pretty,I have NONE this year,but plenty of others...we are driving to South Carolina in October,then I'll get some hummer-pics:thumbs up

Lukka'sma
August 26th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Can't wait to see the pics of SC. I am heading to Gatlinburg Tennessee in April and while my friend and I hike through the Smoky's for a week we will no doubt see many of the birds migrating north....and bears too:eek:

This hummer is the best one I shot today. Had to hide behind a fence to get it.

hazelrunpack
August 26th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Oh, wow! An adult male...few and far between this late in the migration. :thumbs up

I'm glad you're getting some--hazel was feeling guilty 'bout not sharing the wealth! Aren't they just the coolest!?! :cloud9:

Lukka'sma
August 27th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I just love watching them Hazel. This is the first year that I have attracted them in the fall. Previously I have only had them in spring, and once the migration has finished in May they seem to head farther north or stay in the country because here in the city I never get them during the summer. Such a treat:D I wish Chico had some :sad:

chico2
August 27th, 2007, 08:29 AM
That last one is a beautiful pic:thumbs up
When we are in SC,people look at me weird:laughing:wondering why I take pics of the bushes,but that's where the Hummers,butterflies etc are,what do they know,eh:laughing:
I also love the little Geckos..

hazelrunpack
August 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM
That last one is a beautiful pic:thumbs up
When we are in SC,people look at me weird:laughing:wondering why I take pics of the bushes,but that's where the Hummers,butterflies etc are,what do they know,eh:laughing:
I also love the little Geckos..

It always amazes me how people let the most wondrous beauties slip right by them because they take them for granted and/or just don't think to look in the right places! :shrug: Even around here, I'll marvel at a towhee's or a scarlet tanager's song and someone will say, "oh, I thought all we had around here were house sparrows!" Funny thing is, around here, we don't even have any house sparrows! :laughing: Go figure...

chico2
August 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yes Hazel,so many people go through life without realizing all the beauty we have around us in nature,I am thrilled seeing a new beautiful bird or one not so beautiful or any animal really and it's all for free,you just have to look.
Wherever we travel,I always look for birds or other creatures and I am always amazed at the beauty,driving through Pennsylvania,Virginia,West Virginia and North Carolina..the mountains are just amazing..and then the Ocean in SC,LOVE the ocean:cloud9:

Lukka'sma
August 28th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Earlier in the summer we had the dove's raise a family in our pear tree and now the adults are feverishly working at reconstructing the nest. Isn't it too late in the season for another banger crop of babies?

Lukka'sma
August 28th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I have parked my lawn chair under the pear tree for the last few days because the hummers are so active at the feeder:cloud9: :thumbs up . They sit on the branches in the tree and groom themselves sometimes for about 10 minutes at a time, sometimes even longer. It's so cute to see those little birds cleaning their feathers :laughing: :laughing: . Everytime I see their little bird silhouette's I laugh, so cute to be that tiny and perfectly bird shaped:laughing: :laughing: , (although I don't know what shape I expected them to be):D

hazelrunpack
August 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
The first year I saw hummers I caught myself thinking "They act just like real birds!" :laughing: Which, of course, only stands to reason! :laughing: :laughing: But they were just such a novelty with those tiny little bodies and disproportionately long beaks. Took me a long time wondering and finally stumbling across one fresh from its bath to get a feel for how a beak that long can be useful for preening!

Jim Hall
August 28th, 2007, 03:18 PM
we're at about 3 liters a day and increasing...

ho;y cow 3 liters of sugar water for the hummers!!1
damn you have a convention i cant even imagine that many hummers in one spot

hazelrunpack
August 28th, 2007, 11:35 PM
The peak migration appears to be about over, Jim. Even right before a front comes through, which is when the most birds show up for a snack, we're back down to about 1.5 to 2 liters a day. :sad: Today I only filled the four feeders twice each...and one of them 3 times. Sorta sad, but it's nice to get a break, too! :thumbs up :D Migration can be pretty exhausting for ol' hazel :laughing:

TeriM
August 28th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Some bird shots from my oregon trip :) .

On Mount Hood

At Crater Lake

On the Oregon Coast

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Cool pics, TeriM! :thumbs up That sea bird over the waves is classic!

TeriM
August 29th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks Hazel, here are a few more :) .

This was a very cool flock of pelicans, unfortunately I didn't get the camera out quite quick enough :frustrated: .

More seagull wave action

and another one at Crater Lake.

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Great pics, Teri. :thumbs up

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Hazel and Lukka'sma.....great hummer pics and I loved the videos, Hazel. :thumbs up

chico2
August 29th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Beautiful pics Teri:thumbs up
I think I have some Seagull pics from SC,shown before though...

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Cool pics, TeriM and chico! :thumbs up We see seagulls and pelicans, but of course not in a salt-water setting. :D

Aren't pelicans prehistoric looking? They always remind me of the pictures of flying dinosaurs I used to look at as a kid.

chico, do you know what kind of bird that is in your last shot?

chico2
August 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Hazel,it's a Mockingbird,I just love how they sing,so pretty..here's another pic..

hazelrunpack
August 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks, chico! Bird musta been cold that morning--mockingbirds always strike me as so long and lean but that first one looks sorta stout! :D We don't have mockingbirds here :sad:...we do have catbirds and brown thrashers, though. They have similar songs, but don't sing in the middle of the night--which seems to be a habit of mockingbirds. (drives hazel's sister crazy! :laughing:)

chico2
August 30th, 2007, 05:13 PM
We get Northern Mockingbirds here,they look almost the same and sound much the same,but I've only seen one a couple of times.
I love the way they sit and sing,just beautiful..hoping to get some better pics in October,barring any hurricanes:pray:

Lukka'sma
August 30th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I will just post a few more (they are just so darn cute)
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1010503.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1010515.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1010516.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1010534.jpg

goober
August 30th, 2007, 07:21 PM
how do i upload a pic

Lukka'sma
August 30th, 2007, 08:39 PM
how do i upload a pic

You can try starting here
http://www.pets.ca/forum/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=pictures&match=all&titlesonly=0

Welcome to the site:D

hazelrunpack
August 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I love the 'scratching the itch' pose, Lukka'sma! :laughing: They are so cute...fascinating little guys! Except that keeping the restaurants open all year would be an exhausting proposition, I'd love to watch them all year round! :cloud9:

Welcome, goober! I take it you have some bird pictures? :fingerscr

Lukka'sma
August 30th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I don't know how you get your hummers to all get alone Hazel... mine fight when more than one wants to get near the feeder. Seems to me they exert far more energy running each other off then necessary:laughing:

chico2
August 31st, 2007, 07:48 AM
Lukkas mom,please don't stop posting Hummers,they are sooo cute and I am just green with envy.
Maybe next year,I'll get a feeder like yours,I have one of those cheapy once,that look like a big berry..

hazelrunpack
August 31st, 2007, 09:45 PM
I don't know how you get your hummers to all get alone Hazel... mine fight when more than one wants to get near the feeder. Seems to me they exert far more energy running each other off then necessary:laughing:

They aren't really getting along--if you watch closely, you'll see lots of chasing, sparring, and spiraling going on. :D

Hummers evolved to defend a patch of nectar-bearing flowers--if a bird sneaks in and takes a sip, it can take the plant hours to refill its nectaries. And a hummer's energy requirements are high. So they stake out a patch of flowers and defend it to the best of their abilities. That's why they're such pugnacious little blighters. :shrug:

The only reason they share the feeders is cuz there's just too many of them for one bird to defend--and too many birds to drive off. :thumbs up I often wonder if that's stressful enough to give them ulcers... :eek: :o ...or at least indigestion! :p

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM
:sad: I took in the last hummingbird feeder today. Haven't seen any hummers for about 8 days. They got pretty scarce after our first freeze, but were still trickling through.

I guess this means summer is over? :shrug: Sigh. I already miss the little guys...

chico2
October 7th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Aww poor Hazel:sad:
Do you have regular birdfeeders?
In the winter it's much easier to be a birdwatcher,you can see the different birds,with all the leaves gone off the trees and there are many,probably even more where you live.
I put out Suet,corn and seeds all winter and plug in the birdbath heater,the birds really appreciate it:laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Oh, ya! Lots of feeders... Even in the winter we go through a 50 lb bag of black sunflower and 10 lbs of thistle every week or so. We get lots of nuthatches (white- and red-breasted) and chickadees, woodpeckers, cardinals, siskins, turkeys, (deer...who sometimes act like they're furred turkeys :D), purple finches, sometimes redpolls, and in a good year we'll have over 200 goldfinches hanging around the feeders. The flying squirrels are pretty entertaining, too, if you happen to be out there after dark. :D

But I still miss my hummers. :sad: They're the best thing about summer.

goober
October 7th, 2007, 09:37 PM
[ATTACH]:laughing::laughing::

hazelrunpack
October 7th, 2007, 09:50 PM
That's a beautiful crane, goober! (Obviously, he thinks so, too! :D) Where was the picture taken?

goober
October 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM
not really sure got it from a friend thought it would fit here

Chicklet
October 8th, 2007, 08:24 AM
A few of my Hubbies Pet Birds,
Of A different kind

chico2
October 8th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Hazel,I should have know a birdlover like you would have feeders:laughing:
Now when we are retired,hubby thinks it's getting too expensive to feed everybody,but the funny thing is,he is the one out there talking to the Squirrels,filling up the feeders every day:laughing:

chico2
October 8th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Chicklet,a bird is a bird is a bird,those are adorable,what kind of chickens are they:confused:

Chicklet
October 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM
they are Americana's :usa: & Silkies.

A chick is a chick, :thumbs up
No one had posted the back yard chicken yet

hazelrunpack
October 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM
not really sure got it from a friend thought it would fit here

There's a Crane Foundation in Baraboo WI that has a breeding program for all sorts of cranes. They even have a resident whooping crane. They're such gorgeous birds! :lovestruck: I've only been there once--I want to go back there again some day.

hazelrunpack
October 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Cute chicks, chicklet! They look so fuzzy in their downy coats. :D I love the shot of the family groups with Mama Hens keeping close watch!

goober
October 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM
one of the breeder surrendered baby budgies im hand feeding
i love these little ones,:cry: there for adoption if anyones interested29663

roccoisus
October 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Cuuuute baby budgie :lovestruck:

Boo-boo bird getting ready for his morning walk to turn on the radio

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/chickensrus/Boo-boobird.jpg
One of our girls

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/chickensrus/Chicken.jpg

happycats
October 10th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Everyones has such cute birdies!!! I just love those fuzzyfooted chickens:lovestruck:

Chicklet
October 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Heres some more of our Silkies, Their my Husbands favorite,
They can't fly, their skin is blue, They don't have feathers like other birds,
More like silk, Guess maybe thats why their called silkies :)

happycats
October 10th, 2007, 02:24 PM
OMG they are so freakin cute!!!:lovestruck: I just love the "poof" on top of the head!

Lukka'sma
October 10th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I would do anything to be able to have chickens at my house. I am so envious of those of you that have them:laughing:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/tayryn/smileys/chicken.gif

chico2
October 10th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Oh,those are soo cute,as is yours Rocco:lovestruck:
I wish Oakville would allow me to have a few chickens,but instead I have on some days 45 Pigeons:laughing:
I call them my chickens,because of the way they pluck the seeds off the ground:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
October 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Those Silkies are really cute!

I'd love some chickens, too--but we're in the middle of the woods and unless I cooped them up 24/7, they'd be someone's lunch. Too many predators. :sad:

goober
October 12th, 2007, 12:41 AM
ooooow how cute is that baby black silky:lovestruck::cloud9:

Chicklet
October 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM
ooooow how cute is that baby black silky:lovestruck::cloud9:
Yes it is a Silkie too
Have lots more pictures on my website

goober
October 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM
pleeeese send me your site

Lukka'sma
October 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM
At the top of my list of favorite birds is the Chickadee. Several reasons actually. I love the singing voices of these little darlins, they accompany Lukka and I through the woods, landing about my eye level on the branches of the pines and they fly from tree to tree beside me for quite a few feet, one will fly off another will come:laughing:. They are so sweet

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1020365.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1020370.jpg

CearaQC
November 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Not really a bird pic, but a bird nest pic! hehe I found it late this summer, and so missed the occupants.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/DSCF0034.jpg

Lukka'sma
November 4th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Great picture CearaQC. One of the things I love about walking in the fall after the leaves drop is that you can see all the old nests where a family was raised during the summer:D

chico2
November 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I love that birdnest-pic too,it's amazing how the birds build nests,one little piece at a time.
I too have an abundance of Chickadees,I just love those little guys and they are so unafraid.
I've also noticed several Finches at the finchfeeder:thumbs up

Lukka'sma
December 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM
This Bald Eagle is keeping an eye on Lukka and I this morning on our journey

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1020825.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/P1020821.jpg

chico2
December 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM
OMG,you are soo lucky,I've never seen a Bald Eagle in the wild.
You have those in London Ont:confused:

Lukka'sma
December 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM
OMG,you are soo lucky,I've never seen a Bald Eagle in the wild.
You have those in London Ont:confused:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:Yes....lots of them in and around the area. We usually see them in the winter far more than summer

Lukka'sma
December 9th, 2007, 01:03 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:Yes....lots of them in and around the area. We usually see them in the winter far more than summer

OK lots may be a stretch, but they are not a rare sighting

chico2
December 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM
My oldest son told me he had seen some(lives in Hamilton)I told him noooo way,we don't have Bald Eagles here:laughing:
I suppose I have to humble myself and apologize:yell:

Lukka'sma
December 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Today's hike with the Chickadee's

Hey lady, what's that in your hand besides the camera?
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/CSC_0126.jpg

Mmmmm black-oiled sunflower seeds
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSC_0102.jpg

C'mon gang the hubby has some too
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/CSC_0130.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/CSC_0128.jpg

chico2
December 27th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Awww,those are great pictures,those little sweethearts are sooo cute:lovestruck:
I've been trying to get one to eat out of my hand,but so far no luck..but they will fly right in front of my nose to the feeder.

Lukka'sma
December 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Chico in my own yard I can't get them to land on my hand either, they are more interested in the feeder, but out where I walk Lukka the food is scarce in the winter so they are more than happy to take a snack, once summer arrives and the food is abundant they fly next to you but don't often land on you.

Lukka'sma
December 30th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Great day of birding today. I only managed a picture of this red-bellied woodpecker from so far away that it doesn't show very well. But here it is anyway
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/DSC_0196.jpg

SARAH
December 30th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Rolands mom,in Sweden we call lady-bugs,Nyckel-Piga,which means Key-Maid:confused: don't really know why..
The ladybugs will be hibernating under leaves and other things for the winter.
I don't have many birdpics,but here are a pair of Mourning Doves in my Blue Spruce,if you look carefully you can see the baby between them and a not too good pic of some of my pigeons.

Marihøne in Norwegian ... mari I guess may be from the virgin Mary, possibly, but why hen? Mary-hen makes little or no sense! :confused:

TeriM
February 4th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Wow, I missed most of these last shots :eek:. Lukka, some of those shots you have taken are amazing :cloud9:.

Lukka'sma
February 4th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Wow, I missed most of these last shots :eek:. Lukka, some of those shots you have taken are amazing :cloud9:.

Oh thanks TeriM, I love taking bird shots:lovestruck:

doggy lover
February 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM
My bird Ti-Amo

chico2
February 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Oh,what a sweety :lovestruck:Ti Amo,means I love you in Italian,right?
Great name for a pretty bird..

doggy lover
February 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Yep a good name for a love bird right.