Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grooming - short hair

lt_danish
March 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Brighton is a staffordshire/heeler X with short staffordshire hair. She HATES the brush that I have been using to brush her coat once or twice a week. Its made out of some sort of a rubber material with short nubby like things that act as bristles. What sort of brush can I buy that will be more gentle on her skin. I have read short brittle brushes are best for this type of coat. Are they synthetic fibers? What exactly am I looking for? I know I could just wander over to any number of pet stores in the area and ask, but I don't want to be sold on something I don't need or won't work... as some of the staff I find are just young people like myself with part time jobs that they don't really have a great deal of knowledge for.

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I use one of those rakes and don't put any pressure on it when I pass it over the fur. :shrug:

Spirit
March 14th, 2007, 10:07 PM
What about boar bristles? Those rubber things are kind of a pain and a slicker brush is more intended for long coats (but it will help draw the oils out and improve the coat just the same). A pin brush will work, but boar bristles would work better. Rakes work great, but if the undercoat is what you're after, I LOVE my furminator. I rake a few times a month, and furminate seasonally.

meb999
March 15th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Does it look kinda like this? I had one of these, and Buster declared war on it...
I use an old hair brush to brush him...it's not like he gets tangles or anything, it's just to loosen the hairs right? (better on the brush than on the floor!!)

lt_danish
March 16th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Does it look kinda like this? I had one of these, and Buster declared war on it...
I use an old hair brush to brush him...it's not like he gets tangles or anything, it's just to loosen the hairs right? (better on the brush than on the floor!!)

Yeah, it looks exactly like that one. She hates it, almost as much as the vacuum. I went out looking for something like a boar bristle one, or synthetic but the same feel. I only found ones that were hard plastic like bristles that didn't feel too good on the skin. I will go check out the human brush area tomorrow, maybe we will have better luck there.

Prin
March 16th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Do you push hard?