Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Laser light!! Fun for you,but is it mean to cat??

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Ok i bought one,and it is hilarious to watch her,but is it aggravating for the cat that they cant catch it??I am returning today it was 33.00 which i didnt know til he rung it up..

H.P.
March 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I think in short play sessions that it would be good for her to give her chasing instincts a work out, I think that she would just give up if it lasted to long and got to be aggravating, then she might not be so into it next time. Just my thoughts.

Byrd
March 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I got one for five bucks at Canadian Tire... but I guess you don't exactly have a Canadian Tire where you are. Willow wouldn't chase it, she would just look at my hand and stare at my like "What are you crazy? Why would I chase around a red dot!" I know a lot of people use it for their dogs and cats, they seem to like chasing the light, and I don't think it bugs them as long as you don't make them bump their heads into the wall or jump off a high building or something. :p

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
She does love it,it is pretty fun to watch,it is like the lazy mans toy...I just feel bad cause when i stop she is lookin around like what the hell where is it,kind of looks confused..And that to the exercise is another good thing about it,ok maybe i will keep it,but the $33.00 thing just kills me to.

jessi76
March 14th, 2007, 08:02 PM
$33 for a laser pointer? :eek: did you buy the rolls royce of laser pointers??

I got mine for $5 too, at Target. We use ours sparingly, that way, when we do use it, it seems "new and exciting". My dog could care less, he just looks at me like "uh, I know it's not real" - but my cats do enjoy it for about 5-10 minutes now and then.

cpietra16
March 14th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Heidiho, I got my laser pointer for 1.00 at the dollar store. All my cats play and when they get tired of chasing (which is the whole idea ) they just walk away. It's not that bad. I know for a fact that all my cats love it becasue the minute I turn it on they all come running trying to find the spot on the floor. It's great exercise too:D

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 08:16 PM
:laughing: I think i did,pet shop didnt have any,so i went to Radio Shack,i am having issues w/ the price.We are going to other side this weekend to get her condo,i will try walmart,there is no Target here......I think it is the price thing that is making me feel like i should bring it back,not so much roxy..

Frenchy
March 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I got one for five bucks at Canadian Tire... but I guess you don't exactly have a Canadian Tire where you are.

Hawaiin Tire :laughing: I never bought one of those , I tought it was mean to bug the cats with something they can't catch. But I heard they usually love it.

Byrd
March 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I think it is the price thing that is making me feel like i should bring it back,not so much roxy..

I would take it back, heck one of us could ship you one of our $5 ones for less than $33!!!

RolandsMom
March 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Roland loves it as long as its not used too often. i got mine from the pet store, should have thought of the dollar store first but its all good. i had a voucher.
i let him "catch" it every now and then by switching it off as soon as he lands on it. dont think it fools him too much though. he just stops playing with it after a while. i think he gets that its not something he can catch cause he sniffs it a lot.
i also was worried that its a bit mean but he has fun and its great exercise, and he stops when he wants to!

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Thats what i am not sure of she does run around chasing it,but i cant tell if it is aggravating or not..

Mocha's mum
March 14th, 2007, 09:11 PM
My dog (yup, you heard correctly) loves the laser pointer...:laughing: We have to be careful with it though, because he'd chase it around until he collapsed, I'm sure. I take it with us when we have our evening walk and run him back and forth in the green belt (he ignores everything around him when that dot is out!!).

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I might take you up on that,i cant find them anywhere here.I love when she does get her paw on it and then i turn it off,it is funny,but then she looks kind of confused.I tried it on my friends outside ,no interest at all, i guess they have more exciting things outside then an inside cat.That is funny that your dog likes it,that would be fun to see.

MoodIndigo1
March 14th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Two of my cats ignored the light from the moment they realized that there was no prey, just a stupid light.
My third cat wants his light play every day. When I sit at this computer, the laser pen is in the drawer to my right, and he comes and paws at the drawer, all the time meowing at me. If I as much as touch the drawer handle, he rushes off, all bouncy, and waits for the light.

He knows it's a game, he knows I cause the light to appear, and he knows I do that using a gadget kept in said drawer. He's a pretty smart cat all around. No wonder he was able to con my son into our rescuing him from outside. He knew damn well he'd have us wrapped around his paw in no time.

RolandsMom
March 14th, 2007, 11:19 PM
yea Roland knows where it comes from too. he starts looking around the minute i pick it up. and if theres no click from the on button he comes to look for it a little closer. I have made the light come very close to the end of the laser thing and he sees that way where the light is coming from (im very careful not to shine it in his eyes thought).basically i dont think they would keep trying to catch it if it made them frustrated. i think most of them are smart enough to figure out that its not a 'thing'. i have also let Roland just sniff the little dot of red light specifically so he knows its just a light and theres nothing there. ( feel like im repeating myself. i should probably check that i havent said all this before...i should...:p )

LynLyn
March 15th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Bowser (my dog) absolutely loves playing with the laser pointer, if i point it too high on the wall for him, he will sit there and growl/bark at it. I have seen cats try to look for the light after the laser pointer has been put away.

heyjude11
March 16th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Heidiho, I can get one for you at the dollar store, plus lots of batteries to go with it (the batteries don't last long). At least you know that its something that Roxy likes (today). I would definitely return it - $33. is absolutely ridiculous!!
I want to come back as your cat in my next life!

heidiho
March 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM
:laughing: :laughing: I did return it $35.41 with taxes,i she asked why i was returning i said it is a toy for my cat and she said it isnt cheap to live in paradise ,whatever,,I would actually have someone send me one,but the cost of shipping would be alot,well i guess maybe it could just get mailed in an envelope.......Yeah roxy is pretty friggin spoiled,my whole existence is to make sure she is happy,and i love it,

Byrd
March 16th, 2007, 05:24 PM
It only cost me $5 to send a CD, some pics, and a card from Canada to Egypt. National shipping shouldn't be too much. :shrug:

Dog Dancer
March 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Heidiho, if you want to pm me your mailing address I'd be happy to send you one from the $ store along with a pack of batteries. The mailing won't be much. Since you rescued your kitty I'd be happy to do it for you. Just let me know. No offence if you don't want to share that info with me though, it's your call. Oh, by the way, my lab Halo loves the thing, the other dog only likes to chase Halo while she's chasing spot. It used to be Shadow's favourite toy, but Halo took it over. My boss also has a huge dog that loves hers. If I forget to take my "spot" with us when I walk the dogs Halo is looking at the ground constantly and then back at me. My treat if you're interested.

Breezer
March 17th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Our cats love the laser pointer. Even the one that rarely moves but she also the one that gets bored with it quick. One will chase it till I finally get bored. :laughing:

chico2
March 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Heidi,I got one and Chico loves it,sometimes Rocky does too,Vinnie ignores it,wondering why the other two are climbing the walls:laughing:
I payed $11 for mine,but it's lasted almost a year,ready for new batteries now though!
I don't think it harms the kitties,other than maybe their selfesteem:laughing: just don't shine it into Roxy's eyes!!!

rainbow
March 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I've only ever used a flashlight and the cats love it. :cloud9:

Just remember, like Chico said, DO NOT point the laser light at Roxy's eyes. :eek:

krdahmer
March 20th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Laser? LoL all I have to do is jingle the chain and I got all 12 eyes darting around the floor. My two chubsters have actually lost weight thanks to our $ store lasers (the ones for $20+ are usually the business type ones- they work better and last longer but hey kitties don't care as long as they make a red dot). Oh and string on a stick...you can never go wrong with string on a stick, plus that is something they do get to 'catch' so it gives them an ego boost. Ditto on the eyes. And another trick, try to make the red dot make fly like movements on the floor ceiling and wall....they looove to think they are hunting. ( In the summer I sometimes let a fly or 2 in on purpose.- hours or minutes of entertainment depending on how agile the fly is :shrug: ). :thumbs up for lasers