Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boyfriend is caving-talking about taking one kitten-i have concerns though!!!

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Ok mark had some beers and i knew he was already thinking about taking one of these kittens,so funny he is the one who said we cant get any pets for awhile,and he is the one who is singing a different tune each time,i love it.Anyway i am the one who is not sure,and here are my reasons.1- Roxy is the perfect cat-what if new kitten doesnt like being inside??Or just anything really.2-what if roxy isnt happy w/ new kitten and her whole personality changes??I dont want anything to ruin the great thing we have w/her. I have a few more concerns but those are the main ones.

TeriM
March 14th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I'm sure Roxy would love a playmate. You will get great joy and entertainment watching the two of them play. I would recommend that you pick a male kitten if possible though because generally the two sexes get along better. Could you maybe just start by fostering one of the kittens (when they are ready) and that way you could try things out before fully committing.

rainbow
March 14th, 2007, 02:49 PM
1- Roxy is the perfect cat-what if new kitten doesnt like being inside??Or just anything really.

Aren't the kittens inside now so that's all it will remember. You'll have the kitten at a very young age and it will easily adapt to anything you want. :)

2-what if roxy isnt happy w/ new kitten and her whole personality changes??I dont want anything to ruin the great thing we have w/her. I have a few more concerns but those are the main ones.

Roxy is still young herself and I think she would love a new playmate. And, you and Mark will love watching them play together. :lovestruck:

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 02:50 PM
We do want a male,but how the hell can you tell there sex when they are so young??We wouldnt be taking one til they are ready to leave,they are probably only a week old.And also cant take one now,we both work all day.

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I would love to see her have a playmate,i do think she woudl be happy.

rainbow
March 14th, 2007, 03:22 PM
We do want a male,but how the hell can you tell there sex when they are so young??We wouldnt be taking one til they are ready to leave,they are probably only a week old.And also cant take one now,we both work all day.

You can't tell the sex when they're that young. I can never tell until they're about six weeks old and you don't want to take one before then.

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Yes they are being kept in the workout room,which never gets used,the managers place is right there ,they are in a laundry basket w/towels.I guess when we do decide we could take the one we want(mark already has had his eye on one)to the vet ,and find out.I dont know how long they are gonna be here,going by what she said they will be staying til they are old enough to eat on their own.I think roxy was only 4weeks when we took her,and you are right all's they are gonna know is human contact and being inside.Things are just so perfect w/roxy i want it to stay that way..Or enrich her life w/ a friend.I remember when my mom got a puppy her cats(which was like 13 though)whole personality changed,she would never come out from under the bed,EVER.My mom had to find puppy a new home cause this went on for a very long time.

CyberKitten
March 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Two kittens are almost always better than one because they keep each other entertained and it is not that difficult to introduce them - it may be time consuming but just as few days to a week when you do it properly. There are unusual situations where a resident cat or kitten may just not accept the new "interloper" but that is pretty rare actually, esp when they are both young!!

Does Roxie get along with other cats?

And if the kitten is semi feral, as she watches Roxie, she will learn how to behave like a so called tamed cat - I actually do not believe in the word tame re feral kitties. I think we can socialize them though! And they often appreciate it more than the spoiled ones who never had to live outside and fend fopr themselves!! It may just take time to adjust to human voices and you can do that by leaving the radio on, talking to her/him - all those sorts of things. I can send you much more if youi want to do this - I have socialized more feral cats than I ever want to count but with each one, it has been worth it.

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Roxy isnt around other cats,the closest she gets is sitting in the chair by the door watching the 2 ferals i feed lounge there,i have let them get face to face through the screen roxy hissed once but that was it.And when i say roxy is perfect,i mean from the get go,it was only the first night that she cried,and for awhile she would only stay under the couch,but that was only for about a week..Roxy was living outside til we took her ,which was about 4 weeks,these guys are being fed by humans,so i guess it might be easy w/ one of them to.It is just bringing kitten into house and wondering what roxy will do.If we do it it will have ot be on a friday so i can hang out w/ them for 3 days.

LynLyn
March 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM

:D My dad flips them over to check what sex they are, I think it's written on the bottom of their feet :D (saw it in a comic sometime ago, don't remember)

heidiho
March 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Ha ha !! I took pics of them yesterday,.will have monday,they were sound asleep right on each other,it was so sweet,cant really tell in the pics where they begin or end,it was just a circle of kittys......

rainbow
March 15th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Awwww....looking forward to the kitten pics. :cloud9: And, like I said before, Roxy is still young and will adapt very well to a new playmate. :lovestruck:

heidiho
March 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I will have them monday,cant really see them that well but everytime i go there they are sleeping..So funny iam the one who is not sure about another cat,like this morning i put chair by the door,cause every morning she just lays by the door i guess trying to smell my 2 friends on the other side,so she was sitting in chair and bob reached up and stretched and put his claws on the screen well she let out a few hisses to him,now i know this doesnt mean she wouldnt like a friend,but i dont want anything to change her great personality.....

Frenchy
March 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I knew it, as soon as you said the manager took the kitties in , and you would take a peak, I knew you were going to get another :p I got Missy when she was 6 weeks old (many years ago) and 6 months later, I adopted Dweezil, he was about 6-8 weeks too. They were great together, played a lot and I felt less guilty going to work, knowing they weren't alone.

heyjude11
March 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM
My crystal ball sees another kitten in your future! As the others have said, Roxy is still young enough to accept a new playmate. She might be surly at first, having to share you, but you have so much love to give I think there will be more than enough love to go around.
Since you are both at work all day, it would be great for Roxy to have a companion. As long as you introduce them properly (keeping them separate at first, etc.) I think everyone will be happy.
Fostering sounds like a good idea too.
Actually, my crystal ball sees lots more kittens in your future!!

Kristin7
March 16th, 2007, 10:50 AM
How fun, I hope you get one! Being young, I would imagine Roxy would adapt quite well, although perhaps it would take a little time. I like the fostering idea as they don't always end up friends, even if they are both young to start with. :cat:

heidiho
March 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Well 3 have gotten future homes,i posted that one did pass,so there is one left,and truthfully if he or she gets a home that will be ok to..I am not gonna get all stressed out if i dont get one,there are plenty more here,so i am pretty happy that they will all have homes,and yes your crystal ball is right i know there will be another soon,but 2 will be it til we get a bigger place someday..:)

Kristin7
March 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM
That's so great, i'm glad they are finding homes!! Hopefully the rest of them make it. :fingerscr I know it is sketchy with orphan kittens. I don't know how big your place is, but you might be ok w/ 2. I lived in San Diego with 3 cats in a 2 room apartment (plus 2 adult humans). Somehow it all worked out. It really helps if they all get along though.

heidiho
March 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Our place isnt real big,we are still jsut discussing it,i just dont know what i want to do.Roxy is really happy and spoiled and i dont want to change any of that,but one of the kittens i do have my eye on cause he keeps taking his paw and his claw and wipes at his eye and his nose has a little cut cause of him taking his left paw and constantly cutting himself.

chico2
March 19th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Awww Heidi,you,Mark and Roxy will love another kitten:lovestruck:
I've always had more than one cat,my Rocky loved Vinnie almost from the get-go and still wrestles and snuggles with him.
Chico on the other hand,will never like Vinnie,but his sweet personality never changed....however mine were adult cats when Vinnie was found.
You'll have sooo much fun,when both of them are zoooming around the house,only to cuddle up together and go to sleep after.
The sweetest thing to see:lovestruck:
:fingerscr that the remaining babies will survive:pray:

heidiho
March 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I know you are right,one thing is though ,we can have one cat 2 is against the rules, ahhhhh so confused........