Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raw for cat with cancer?

marko
March 14th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Dear members,

Our cat has advanced lymphosarcoma (cancer) and we are looking for extra high (raw) protein food to feed him.

Any suggestions? or quick threads that you can point me to?

Thanks so much

Marko

rainbow
March 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Technodoll and Scott B are the raw gurus here. The commercially available grain free foods are the highest in protein. This site lists them:

http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/search.aspx?searchterms=grain-free-cat-food

Lots of good vibes coming for Zak. :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

rainbow
March 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I just found this website....there's a link at the bottom of the page for raw recipes:

http://www.holisticat.com/rawdiet.html

technodoll
March 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Marko, are you looking for commercial raw diets or do you want to prepare it at home? cats are notoriously picky eaters and switching them over to raw can be a challenge... that being said, it might be something Zak loves and will tear into. just let me know what kind of info you would like :cat:

Scott_B
March 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM
switching a cat to raw can be tough. Unless they start very young, it can take months to get them switched over. Id suggest going to a kibble or wet food (wet would be easier to get them to raw) and then trying them on raw.

Try Innova Evo

Natures Variety has a Raw instinct cat food that is high in protein.

TeriM
March 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
OK, don't freak on me raw feeders (and I am a raw feeder!). I would be very careful with introducing raw at this stage of his life. If his immune system is compromised then this could cause some real issues for him. I would recommend a high protein wet food (evo?) or even better make your own food for him. I would personally cook up some chicken (or other meat he likes) and mix it with his kibble or some wet food (maybe run it through the food processer to mix it really well).

Good luck, and big hugs to Zak :grouphug: .

TeriM
March 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM
One more thing, there will likely be a time you may need to force feed Zak with a syringe :sad: . If you get him used to a good quality wet food now then it will be easier on his system if you can use that same food later.

Scott_B
March 14th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Raw wont hurt his immune system any more then a kibble would. It wont make him sick. Infact, feeding a better raw diet may help his immune system.

TeriM
March 14th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Scott, if he were always on raw food I would agree that he would be fine. Zak is a sick cat and IMO stressing his system with a change to raw would not be a great idea at this time. I don't want to start a debate on this or hijack marko's thread. Many raw books do not recommend changing an immune compromised animal to raw as they may have difficulties processing the bacteria.

technodoll
March 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I agree with TeriM and Scott on this one... perhaps EVO high protein wet food would be easiest for Zak at this point in terms of "adopting a new diet" without the fuss? :o

Scott_B
March 14th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Scott, if he were always on raw food I would agree that he would be fine. Zak is a sick cat and IMO stressing his system with a change to raw would not be a great idea at this time. I don't want to start a debate on this or hijack marko's thread. Many raw books do not recommend changing an immune compromised animal to raw as they may have difficulties processing the bacteria.

I don't think it would stress his system any more then switching kibbles. If my dog gets sick, im not gonna put him back on kibble untill his system gets up to par. the quality food hes eating now is what will help him to get his health back.

Many raw books also suggest grinding bones and feeding a ton of veggies, doesnt mean they're always right ;)

that said, I do think Evo (wet) would be the best choice right now, and will help to get him onto raw if he wants to go that route.

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I agree with TeriM and Scott on this one... perhaps EVO high protein wet food would be easiest for Zak at this point in terms of "adopting a new diet" without the fuss? :o

I agree... :o With the bacteria in meat and his compromised immunity... Normally the bacteria and parasites aren't a factor, but in his late stage, and his compromised situation, they might. Better to be safe than sorry, IMO..:o

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 05:20 PM
btw, evo isn't the only one making really meaty cans either anymore... Nature's variety (http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1358&-session=naturesvariety:4A39662A07aaf274AEYikGEA058 0) makes some too...

marko
March 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I knew I'd get great info here...you guys ARE the best after all. :highfive: :grouphug:

I guess I was interested in both preparing raw and commercial raw because I know the time will soon come where food will become a huge issue and I wanted to know the choices....

And now this particular thread can continue to help others..

QUICK question in terms of Evo - Dry seems to have way more protein than wet...but Zakky loves wet. Is there a canned/wet version that will have really high protein content (Evo dry has 42% - evo wet has 12%)

http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/search.aspx?SH=DADBDCDHDADADDDGDAGBDEDIDJDBGEDECND JGEDFDCCNDEDADFDGCNGCGGGCDJCNDHDJDFDADBGBDFDJDADGG DDFDADADADBDEDADADBDJGHHCGBGJGOCNGGHCGFGFCNGDGBHEC NGGGPGPGEDADADADEDADADADADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADAD ADADADADADADADADADBDADADADBDJGHHCGBGJGOCNGGHCGFGFC NGDGBHECNGGGPGPGEDADADADBDB&LAP=0&PS=1~12~0~~0~0&SC=None&Action=2&AnswerID=35ae252c-c355-4f65-8c42-a2ccc9bdf1e7&mf=3

Sincerest thanks!

Marko

technodoll
March 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Marko, if a canned food (such as Evo) is 95% meat in wet form, then even if the protein % doesn't seem as high as the protein of the kibbled version, remember that it is much closer to nature's original structure and has a higher bioavailability, is easier to digest, etc. 42% protein is NOT natural or normal, it is highly concentrated, and no studies have proven the long-term effects on a pet's body yet. Raw meat protein % is averaged at 16 to 18%, the rest is moisture, vitamins, minerals, etc. Also, meat in its dry, meal form contains ash, which is not something you want to feed any animal IMO...

you could try to feed Zak some canned Evo (or other grainless canned food) at mealtimes, and bits of raw meat for snacks if he likes it. as long as the meat is fresh it won't hurt him, on the contrary. good luck! :grouphug:

Prin
March 15th, 2007, 02:27 PM
lol I answered your question in the other thread (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37735).:D IMO, you shouldn't discount the Nature's Variety though... It's almost as good as evo (maybe a little lower protein...) and there are more varieties...