Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

World Population to hit 9.2 Billion by 2050

Rick C
March 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Most growth in global population will occur in developing countries due to improved methods for combating disease:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17605186/

An amusing - sort of - sidebar is that militant Muslims are apparently planning to take over Canada and Australia by high birth rates, among other things discussed in the expose in an Australian news source below:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21361191-421,00.html#

If I'm not mistaken, 50% of all births in America today are of hispanic origin . . . . giving weight to the thought that Mexico will reclaim Texas and California by demographic.

How many people can the world hold?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Well, here in Qc there was as baby boom last year too... Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think you can raise too many people here from 0-30 without letting some of the "yey Canada" sink in.:o

Oh and for how many can the Earth take-- every species has a carrying capacity and while we think we're immune and an exception to every natural rule, we're not, and we'll hit it if we haven't already.

lt_danish
March 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I am going to be a pessemist here and say we are LONG over due for some sort of disease to clear out a good portion of our population. Maybe a flu strain, maybe the very so nasty antibiotic resistant TB that people don't think exists (it does! I saw it first hand) or something totally new. I don't think it will be something like SARS or AIDS but who knows. The last BIG flu pandemic got rid of many young - middle age overwise healthy humans. It will affect all areas equally, not just developing nations, but 'wealthy' ones as well.

Byrd
March 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM
How many people can the world hold? Oh, about one billion. We are at over six now.

Even though I know I likely wouldn't survive (weak immune system) I too think it's time for some sort of epidemic, we need a clear out. Population control is also why I choose not to have children.

I actually believe that Nature will take care of herself. When a species gets out of control it gets wiped out. We are out of control! I have heard that mens sperm count has decreased a lot over the past 30 years, and it is more difficult for women to conceive after 30 and most are waiting until mid to late 30's now to have children. Maybe this is it.

Mocha's mum
March 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I love you guys!!! :laughing: I've been saying stuff like that for years, and frequently giving my roommate nightmares. Like I said in the global warming thread, mother nature will sort herself out.

Who said "man's worst enemy is man himself" ? Smart person!

Byrd
March 14th, 2007, 10:06 PM
There is a reason why she's "MOM"!!!!

I've also been preaching this stuff most of my life as well.

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 10:25 PM
It_danish, my thoughts exactly. Aids won't do it because it takes too long. Then again, that might be why it does it. Humans are so selfish we can't protect others for that long, so we spread and spread and spread it.

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Oh and for how many can the Earth take-- every species has a carrying capacity and while we think we're immune and an exception to every natural rule, we're not, and we'll hit it if we haven't already.

Yeah, and I gotta agree with Byrd--I think we hit carrying capacity at about a billion...and it's only our technology that's kept us fed since then... But eventually, we'll crash, too. All species do. :shrug:

meb999
March 14th, 2007, 10:52 PM
yup....maybe I should drop out of school now :fingerscr :D Since We're all gonna die of some horrible disease....
We're a pest on this planet, and it'll get rid of us....I just hope it doesn't happen too quickly :fingerscr :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM
yup....maybe I should drop out of school now :fingerscr :D Since We're all gonna die of some horrible disease....
We're a pest on this planet, and it'll get rid of us....I just hope it doesn't happen too quickly :fingerscr :fingerscr

Nice excuse, meb! :D Want me to write your profs an excuse?

"please excuse marie-eve from your class because the world is about to implode under the weight of pets.ca's Thread-Jack Thread and the number of posts Prin has made!":laughing:

meb999
March 15th, 2007, 12:32 PM
it was worth a try....at this point any excuse is good :D :cool: