Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breeding Dogs

Almo
March 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a 6 pound Maltese that I am trying to breed. I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if this little dog would have a hard time having her pups if another dog bigger than her (beagle) would get her. Can anyone please help with this.

Thanks,

Concerned Dad

technodoll
March 13th, 2007, 10:44 PM
This is not even a question you should be asking yourself, or to anyone else. why on earth would you want to breed your dog when you don't know anything about breeding, specially if you are considering breeding mutts? thousands of homeless dogs die every month because of indiscriminate breedings like this. please. get your girl spayed. don't contribute to the pet overpopulation, it's just more misery on this planet. :pawprint:

lt_danish
March 13th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Almo, welcome to the board.
I am going to have to agree with technodoll on this one, please don't breed your pup. Most of us are very pro getting our pets spayed or neutured. You may not have a whole lot of luck/positive feedback with your question here. But we welcome you, and everyone is entitled to an opinion!

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I agree. There are so many unwanted little mutts around without anybody deliberately adding to the problem.

Here are some links (courtesy of Mom_of_two_dogs, here (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36636))- PLEASE read them:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder3.html
http://vetmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa022302a.htm

Almo
March 13th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Let me clarify. My Maltese is a full breed AKC line of Champions. I have been taking very good care of her and not allowing any dog neer her during her heat. My intentions have been to breed her with another Maltese of the same or better line. I have already hooked them up and hopefully she is already expecting. My sister has a beagle in her house of which I have been taking good care of my Maltese from. She is usually locked inside the house when I am gone. Today, my brother in law left the door opened from his room and his dog probably got to mine. This was not intended. In the event that he did get to her and she was not already expecting from the other maltese I am just trying to get an answer for the first question to prepare myself ahead of time.

TeriM
March 13th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the clarification. We see so many sad cases of rescue dogs and back-yard breeding here so people are tend to have strong opinions on responsible breeding.

I have very limited knowledge on this subject. My understanding is that dogs can actually have two fathers in the same litter. How long ago was she bred and is she still in the "receptive" phase of her heat? I would think that a six pound dog would have big difficulties if bred with a beagle. I recommend you giving your vet a call. As this has just happened you may be able to spay her right away which isn't what you want but is better than risking her health.
Good luck.

mummummum
March 14th, 2007, 05:24 AM
But Almo ~ if you have to ask the question then regardless of the AKC lines of your Maltese you have no experience with breeding and apparently have no mentor. And that pretty much describes a "BYB". :sad: There are too many unwanted mixed and purebred dogs in this world, thousands of whom are killed everyday ~ please reconsider and have your dog spayed ASAP.

clm
March 14th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Sorry Almo, but I'm with everybody else on this one. Unless you're planning on starting your own Kennel and are showing your dogs, I don't understand why you would be breeding this dog. All of my dogs have been registered pure breds too and from some amazing lines but I don't know anything about breeding and if I was going to get into it I'd research it a whole lot before I chose a foundation bitch and starting breeding.

Cindy

One Beagle Girl
March 14th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Basically I'd like to say ditto to please don't breed her.

Since you posted your question, approximately 11,000 unwanted dogs were euthanized in the US alone.

Furbaby Momma
March 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
The best breed...breeder would be smart to not allow their champion AKC/CKC breed canine to be anywhere around another type of breed while thier female is in heat.

Now you can make a smart choice due to the well being of your Maltese by understanding that she will have difficulties having these puppies. Call your vet today and do right by your beloved Maltese get her spayed and enjoy your wonderful dog for all that she is.

Everyday animals are euthanized in shelters across the world, need to make room for more animals...some will be adopted...the others will be euthanized today, tomorrow...everyday. :sad:

Frenchy
March 14th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I second everything that was said. There enough dogs right now, everywhere, being euthanaze because overpopulation, why on earth would you want to bring more puppies into this world ? Please have her spayed asap, if she got pregnant by the other dog, vet will abort them, if not, your dog could die when giving birth.

rainbow
March 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I agree. A female can breed withmore than one male when she is in heat. I would take her to the vet and have the puppies aborted and her spayed. Here is another website with good information including the links at the bottom of the page:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breeding.htm

erykah1310
March 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Let me clarify. My Maltese is a full breed AKC line of Champions. I have been taking very good care of her and not allowing any dog neer her during her heat. My intentions have been to breed her with another Maltese of the same or better line.

How is her showing coming along? I would have to assume that you are involved in showing. Just because a dog is from good lines and registered doesnt make it alright to breed them. Have you consulted the breeder you got her from? What do they have to say about this?