Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

*YAY* we're back to normal!

RolandsMom
March 13th, 2007, 11:12 PM
And so i breathe a sigh of relief. Roland is back to normal. not even one day of rice and chicken, his old food and No pumpkin:p . At least i learnt a valuable lesson and now know what to do if he ever gets constipated!!!:rolleyes: so i guess im going to give it a little while and try the EVO again.

TeriM
March 13th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Maybe you should try giving the evo as "treats" when you first start to change over.

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Yey! I'm glad he's ok. Good luck for next time. :o :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Spirit
March 14th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Maybe you should try giving the evo as "treats" when you first start to change over.

Be careful with treats. It's much more true with cats that it is dogs, but if you offer something as a treat, they'll often refuse it as a meal. OR they'll eat it for a few weeks, then hold out for something better. After all, a treat is a treat, right? ;)

Oh, and congrats on the good poops! lol

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Hmm... I don't know about that (hehe, I just seem to be clashing with you all over tonight :sorry: :D). What about when you're on an elimination diet and you give the kibble as treats? :shrug: But I guess dogs are different than cats that way... :shrug:

Spirit
March 14th, 2007, 02:04 AM
(hehe, I just seem to be clashing with you all over tonight :sorry: :D)

YEAH! Step off my tail already, will ya??? EH!?? :laughing: :D

Picky dogs are made that way (because there's always another, or better choice). If you're introducing a new food, it's MUCH easier to get a bunch of samples, take 10 or so kibble and place them in piles about 1 foot away from each other. Unless your dog will eat anything (in which case it doesn't matter), it should be fairly obvious which one he wants more of, and that should be the food you offer as a meal. You can still give kibble as treats (I do it all the time), but when switching foods, it's best (in my experience) to offer it as a meal first, and as a treat later. Especially them little dogs... damn little dogs... give em' a treat and that's all they want! "I don't want no stinkin dinner... treat me." lol

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 02:11 AM
But what about cats? Does that apply for them too? :shrug: (I don't know cats all that well)

Spirit
March 14th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Cats are cats. No one really knows cats. LOL! With dogs it usually doesn't matter (unless your dog is spoiled rotten and only wants to be hand fed), but cats want what cats want. If I ever gave my cat even one piece of kibble, she'd flat out refuse it as a meal. :frustrated:

RolandsMom
March 14th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Im petty lucky so far that Roland is really not at all fussy (erm..is say that but he didnt like the Orijen after the first few days) he eats pretty much anything i give him. i think that would be a good idea (the treat thing but i think im going to take (was it you Prin?) advice on starting out with literally two or three bits of new kibble in with the old and take take it REAL slow from there! just move up two or three kibble a day. hehe. could take me a LONg time but at least that way i can see if theres anything in there that he doesnt do so well on.

Kristin7
March 14th, 2007, 12:22 PM
In my experience w/ cats, some of them are extremely picky and others will eat anything. They all seem to have everylasting memories when it comes to their favorite foods and some will definitely hold out for certain things like treats or wet food.

Glad Roland is back to normal! I was going to comment before about the pumpkin as i've used it in the past. It is supposed to be good for diarrhea and it has worked for my cats, however, they are all different so it could just be his system doesn't like pumpkin. I have noticed if i give them too much pumpkin it can have a negative effect though. They only need a small bit of it for a few days.

rainbow
March 14th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Glad to hear Roland is back to normal. :highfive: