Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog poop in spring time.. your backyard and the park

mafiaprincess
March 13th, 2007, 07:28 PM
So I tried to pick up poop this winter in the backyard.. Made a few trips out to collect what I could find that wasn't snowed over. Since it's light longer, and I'm off work earlier I went to try to get more today, but wow is it melted..

Got a good 1/3rd of a garbage bag :yuck: and it was mighty gross to scoop up.. So what do you do about spring clean up to get it as nice as possible in your yard?

Pick it up every time the dog goes, or leave it and have one day of nastiness?

Offleash romping in a nearby park is super gross... Seems most dog owners didn't pick up.. ALL winter. When we've had minor melts I've been grossed out at the amount of ickyness.. now with a major melt eww eww eww.. and there's canada goose poop to boot now. Man springtime poop is horrible.

jesse's mommy
March 13th, 2007, 08:22 PM
So what do you do about spring clean up to get it as nice as possible in your yard?

Let Daddy handle it. :evil:

(Mommy has poop issues, she's fine with throw up and pee, but poop, nope) :o

wdawson
March 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM
http://www.scoopmasters.com/

when left to dad(me) to scoop,i'm good at delegating those tasks:D

Spirit
March 13th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I follow my dog out, and pick up immediately after he goes (I don't even wait until it stops steaming). If there's one thing I can't stand over anything else dog related, is having to go outside and look for it. And forget about leaving it out in the rain, never mind the snow... groooooooosssssssssssss....

I can't imagine having to pick up 2 piles of poop, let alone 1/3 of a garbage bag. :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

LMAO @ jessie's mommy!!! (My roommate is the same way. When he takes my dog out, he always makes sure he poops on our yard first. Otherwise it's all about the bushes or hidden areas where he can't pick it up)

Frenchy
March 13th, 2007, 08:50 PM

With 3 to 4 dogs, I do pick up every day (almost :o ) but by the look of my yard, I must have forgotten 2-3 days and then it snowed :frustrated: So I tried to pick it all up yesterday, but the more it melts, the more I found poo. And it is soooo :yuck: to pick up right know.

breeze
March 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I pick up every time Bree goes, and I still find pooh in the middle of the grass when it melts and it's not mine but I get blamed cause I have the dog, I just can't take it when the people leave it on the sidewalk and people that pass by think it's me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathy1
March 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I try to pick up everytime, sometimes I miss but when the snow melts in the spring I use the hose and wash it down.

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 12:31 AM
We scan every two days max, and right before snowstorms... So far this little thaw hasn't revealed anything, so we've been pretty good. :highfive: Our lawn is so teeny though, we really don't have a choice. :shrug: In the summer we pick up every day.

lt_danish
March 14th, 2007, 12:41 AM
I am so glad I live where snow is very rare. But rain on poop is worse. I pick up everytime we go out. Or at least once a day. I can't stand trying to get all the bits of mushy melted poop off the ground.

Peepmouse
March 14th, 2007, 01:36 AM
http://www.scoopydoo.ca
They do such a great job cleaning up once a week for us, plus they also clean up the spring melt :yuck: It's worth it for us, since both of us have back problems, and with 2 dogs in a very small back yard, it doesn't take long for it to build up...:yuck:

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 02:14 AM
That's cool Peep. I don't think it would be too bad to do the weekly pick up but the "one time" pick up? :sick:

Lukka'sma
March 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM
We pick up every time she goes. If I were to wait she would consume most of it and I just can't stand the thought of her eating poop, so out I go and scoop before that happens.

Scott_B
March 14th, 2007, 09:52 AM
i take him out and depending on what hes eating, I'll pick up atfter him. The tanned poo will dry up and crumple after a few days so i usually leave that. The darker stuff i usually toss into the woods (my own property).

rainbow
March 14th, 2007, 02:47 PM
We pick up daily preferably right after they go. :)

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
We have six...and they're very regular :o If we waited, we'd be up to our eyeballs before we knew it! So we clean up several times a day. When it snows, of course, we miss more...but even so, spring isn't usually all that bad around here... :shrug:

Scott_B
March 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I should add, at the park, or on walks, i always pick up after him.

TeriM
March 14th, 2007, 03:27 PM
We pick up every few days in the winter and daily in the summer. We have a fairly small yard so need to keep on top of it. We use the pooper scooper and just flush the poops :sad: .

mafiaprincess
March 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
That scooper service is interesting.
I think I preferred making sure we got often off property romps where I am vigillent about picking up poop. Means every pile goes immediately in the trash.. In warmer weather I usually go out with her, pick it up and throw the bag in the can I keep in the yard.
Guess it could be worse. There could have been more.. And since I scooped up as much as possible the trace I couldn't get should degrade durign the spring melt..
I will be soaking down the yard when the snow melts out though.. Sadly Cider's been out a few times since, and there's a little more snow to go. So I guess one more 'poop search' and then I need to go out with her and just collect it. I prefer doing warmer weather agility and not worry about landmines and all.

coppperbelle
March 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
That's what I had kids for. :D

Smiley14
March 15th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Peeps, I have the same thing! Well, with a different company of course though! :)

http://www.petyardpickup.com/

Love these ladies! I've used them for four years now. :angel:

At the dog park, I use this:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9724&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025632&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1174013606631&itemNo=32&Nao=24&In=Dog&N=2025632&Ne=2

LOL! I really hate poop. :o

meb999
March 15th, 2007, 11:29 PM
you know, all winter long, I do poop-patrol in the yard twice week and whenever I know it will snow. You think you get it all....but it took me an HOUR of scooping the yard today (and we have a very small yard). A freakin' hour pickin' up dog poo....:yuck: :yuck: :sick:

Prin
March 16th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I don't know how that happened to you, meb... I expected you to get every load because you were so excited about them- thought you'd be out there watching and chanting... :laughing: