Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you have a hobby your family doesn't "get"?

Schwinn
March 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I was thinking about this as my parents came to visit on the weekend. I went to the bike show last weekend, and bought a pair of bike shoes. Light-weight, carbon fibre race shoes. Regular $380, I got them for $179. (most expensive pair of freakin' shoes I've ever had!). So when I was showing them to my parents, my step-father just stared at me. "You paid how much? My shoes cost $20"

I'm cheap, I don't spend much money, except on mountain biking. I'm constantly explaining why it costs so much for biking, or why I wear expensive bike shirts instead of cotton T's (there really is a reason). I remember my sister saying, "What kind of freakin idiot would spend that kind of money on a freakin bicycle? I bought mine for $120 at Canadian Tire". So I took her to the mountain bike resort...her new bike cost about $700.

I was explaining to my step-father on the weekend that almost everything I have, I had at one time or another said, "Why the heck would I spend that much for a stupid (helmet, shoes, socks, shorts, etc)?" I later tried them and went, "OOooooh!" I now own a stupid (helmet, shoes, socks, shorts, etc). Sometimes it's comical. I'll tell Mrs. Schwinn I need to spend on something for my bike, she'll say, "Do you really need that? Why can't you buy it from Canadian Tire?" I'll sigh, walk away, and hear her giggle. Of course, this is the same person who wanted to put a basket on my "hard-core" mountain bike I took down Mt. Tremblant.

Anyway, I was just wondering this when I was watching a rally race with a husband-wife team. I was thinking, about how when one of you isn't into the same thing, sometimes you seem to always be explaining the ins-and-outs of your sport/hobby. For me, I'm lucky. Mrs. Schwinn doesn't know why I need to have the expensive titanium cassette with ceramic bearing hub (she's not even sure what that is), but she knows that if I say I need it, I probably do. Of course, part of the cost is her asking, "WHY do you need it?" until I'm exasperated and she says, "You don't have to ask my permission. If you need it, get it". That being said, she does prefer I leave my Visa at home when I go to the bike shop!

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah, my man doesn't get pets.ca... And my family doesn't get dogs as much as they should.... And snowboarding too... So yeah, I know what you mean. It's a passion. It doesn't have to be 100% rational and practical. :shrug:

Dog Dancer
March 13th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Sure do Schwinn. My mother thinks I'm absolutely bonkers for doing beekeeping. She's certain I'll be swarmed and killed. She also thinks I should have my dog with separation anxiety put to sleep as she's just too much work and money. - Some people's parents....

Fortunately like you Schwinn, my BF supports the beekeeping thing (he wanted it more than I did for his garden), and he adores the dogs so at least I don't have to battle him - well not too much. He still gets snarly sometimes about the $$ spent on the pooches (like daycare and beds and stuff).

Byrd
March 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Yup, no one, friends or family, understands why I would do something as 'useless' as dog sports and competitions. "Why title a dog that is spayed?"

Also, no one understands my religion practices, parts of my own family think I'm 'evil'.

Oh, and let's not forget the biggy.... Mohab!!!!

:mad:

You can chose your friends, but not your family. Sometimes I want to move far, far away.

rainbow
March 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Hee hee....my hubby is the same as Prin's man.....he just can't understand how I can spend so much time on pets.ca :rolleyes: :frustrated:

Also, my family and some of my friends can't understand why I treat my dogs and cats as humans. :frustrated: :sad:

normag
March 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I collect Baby Dolls and Teddy Bears, my family think I should have better things to do with my money??

breeze
March 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM
being myself other than my hubby and 2 kids no one understands this and I have to keep reminding them I am who I am

Frenchy
March 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Some people don't get why I have dogs + fosters. They don't understand why I put all my money on them , sometimes there's not much left for me and I don't care. They bring me so much, it's worth more than money.

mummummum
March 13th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Hobbies ??? You have time for hobbies ? I'm :o jealous. I have the same painting sitting on my easel that I started the month before Declan came along. I've been sewing a dog bed for what ~ six months, a year ? I could go on but that would be ... reminding myself of The Almighty To Do List which I prefer to stoically ignore. :D

x.l.r.8
March 14th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Wow, I wish my hobby was that cheap, I used to spend so much time making a bad car ga as well as a ferrari, I could jsut have brought a Ferarri, now I have got to a point I have to stop myself (last 6 plate carbon clutch ran just over 1500) or it gets too silly. My wife just wants to turn a key and go, howeevr she built my last engine and I caught her being happy once or twice.
I think hobbies prepair you to invest, my wife lives her GT bike and would never go back to a Canadian tire one.
My stereo most people take offence to, I probably have spent to much in search of purity, I just had to replace the pre-amp and it was an easy $2000. Thank god they last a while, most people are surprised you can buy a record deck for $2000 but then to spend $2000 upgrading it has them :eek: . In my defence, my music is always on and everyone loves the sound and it surprises them that tracks they thought they knew sound different, and they pick up music that otherwise lay hidden. I have a 28 inch TV and have no plans to go bigger. I justify my snowboard gear in the way it lasts so I don't mind spending money on that, but the race car??? I could be driving a Rolls Royce or an Aston Martin.
I saw a pectel system the other day that would be a little better than my management system, it was only $3000 and it would mean I could get rid of the cam shaft and run solenoids on the valves giving me compleate control on valve timing and lift and making it compleatly vairable. My wife thought I had just grown an extra head:laughing: she is my link to reality :lovestruck:

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Sure do Schwinn. My mother thinks I'm absolutely bonkers for doing beekeeping. Bees, eh? My dad used to do that. Quite the hobby. :o Prevents arthritis though. :thumbs up (so they say)

Schwinn
March 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Wow, I wish my hobby was that cheap, I used to spend so much time making a bad car ga as well as a ferrari, I could jsut have brought a Ferarri, now I have got to a point I have to stop myself (last 6 plate carbon clutch ran just over 1500) or it gets too silly.

Which is why Mrs Schwinn has said no to the rally car (so far!;) )

It seems like I'm always walking in the door from a bike ride like a six year old saying, "And then there was this drop off, and then I went over a tree, but it was bigger than it looked, so I had to bunny hop, and oh yea! there was this other rider on this Scalpel, and it was really cool, and then..." while Mrs. Schwinn gives me that look that Mom's give that says, "That's nice, dear..." Or when I came home with my shoes "THESE ARE SO COOL! They have carbon fibre, with integrated soul, and the snake teeth come off, andandand..." Same look. So then my parents came up, and I was showing them, getting the, "They're shoes" look. FINALLY, last night, someone who gets it. My sister came over (who I got into riding about 4 years ago), I showed her my shoes, and she went, "Cool!" "THANK-YOU!!".

But the worst is when Mrs. Schwinn talks my enthusiasm for my hobby. "I think it's cute!" Thanks dear, somehow, that doesn't make it better...:rolleyes:

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM
hehe, how manly must you feel when she calls it cute? :laughing:

erykah1310
March 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
My dogs and cats in general... none of my family understands it ( my parents do, and always defend me so greatly.... " Atleast she spends her money on healthy things like her dogs and cats and not on *insert various drugs here*" Thats what my parents say all the time,
However, the one hobby I have that baffles EVERYONE in my family is my hiking or snowshoeing. Im not sure why, perhaps because I am overweight but never stop moving:shrug: (except when im on here lol) Or maybe its because I do it alone?
No one I know besides the dogs enjoy it near as much as me, so i have no choice. My other half doesnt include himself in anything I do:frustrated: ANYTHING, but thats a whole other topic.

AliSam
March 14th, 2007, 07:03 PM
My hubby doesn't get my obsession with message boards, Pogo or Eeyore. I have so many Eeyores, people just shake their head.

raingirl
March 15th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Computers and video games. They just don't get it, especially that I drove 800 km each way to go to Rhode Island just for the weekend for gaming convention last weekend.