Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tree hanging Gift!?!

SMH
March 13th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hello all Dog lovers,

I am an avid outdoor enthusiast, but not currently a dog owner. For the past several years, I have noticed an increasing trend along hiking paths (and parking lots) of hanging white bags from trees containing “waste”!

For the likes of me, I can’t figure out why anyone would do all the kindly steps then to hang the bag from a tree!?!

Is there logical reason(s) that people to do or is this act unjustified?

coppperbelle
March 13th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I would think it is their intention of retrieving the bag on the way back and then disposing of it in a waste receptical. They are trying to avoid having to carry it, perhaps.

I honestly don't have a clue why else they would do this.

mummummum
March 13th, 2007, 09:18 AM
It's not just along trails, I see it in my neighbourhood all the time. With that said...it would be a good thing for more garbage receptacles along wooded trails. Usually they're only seen at the entranceway to the parklands which doesn't seem very sensible in this day and age of organic recycling.

LynLyn
March 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM
:yuck: weird!!!

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I don't get it either. Makes everybody look bad. Why bother picking it up if you're not going to dispose of it? :rolleyes:

SMH
November 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Well, shortly after posting this Topic in March ‘07, initiative was taken and a large garbage receptacle (much like the ones seen in public parks) was purchased and chain-tied to a gate fence.

It was well received by several user groups enjoying the outdoors. Maintenance is a bit unpleasant, but worth the aggravation of seeing "tree gifts".

As mentioned before, I am not a dog owner and still am not, but do understand that it is unfair to view a group by a few bad-apples. Which bring me to another question related to another situation?

How to deal with owners allowing their beloved pet(s) to leave "gifts" less than 10 feet always from the garbage can (which is impossible to miss)?

Sorry if this sounds like a rant.

Writing4Fun
November 26th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Hmmm... Just to play the devil's advocate here...

I suppose those people are wondering why they should pick up a perfectly natural material off of a forst floor where it will likely start decomposing in the next few days, and put it in a plastic bag so it can sit in a landfill for the next few centuries.

:2cents: :cool:

mummummum
November 26th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Very good point W4F !

Next? :D

krdahmer
November 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM

I suppose those people are wondering why they should pick up a perfectly natural material off of a forst floor where it will likely start decomposing in the next few days, and put it in a plastic bag so it can sit in a landfill for the next few centuries.

:thumbs up I have always wondered this, but also understand that most people and myself do not enjoy stepping in these 'gifts' either. So why don't parks and naturey type trails have more of a compost type idea. Like a can sunk in the ground where it could compost without having to walk on it. I know I am going to go to this even for my cat litter (I use wheat so could compost it) when I get a house.

want4rain
November 26th, 2007, 05:16 PM

piff... cause dog poo stinks when you feed heavy grains. its sticky, gummy and doesnt smell good in confined places(ie the bottom of shoes in cars). it takes just as long to decompose in a landfill as the woods... so we all should feed more fresh meat and bones so its crumbly in 3 days!!! then people would have white lumps of crumbles to avoid instead of radio active super poo!!! :p

-ash

want4rain
November 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM
of course that is NO excuse to punish a poor tree with doggy poo ornaments!

-ash

Writing4Fun
November 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM
of course that is NO excuse to punish a poor tree with doggy poo ornaments!

-ash

Absolutely no excuse for the tree hangy things. I don't understand that at all. :confused: Maybe it was near Halloween and they wanted to make little ghost decorations? :clown:

Personally, when walking in the woods, I expect my shoes to get mucky. I'm tramping through the muck, aren't I? :D Phoebe is considerate enough to "go" off the beaten path - she likes her privacy, as do we all. :laughing: But, if she did go on the trail, I'd take a stick and flick it into the woods. I still can't see it taking longer to decompose if left to it's natural tendancies than it would when wrapped in a plastic bag, unless the dog is being fed styrofoam. :eek:

SMH
November 29th, 2007, 09:08 AM

:2cents: :cool:Okay. Well, let me ask you this;Do you leave "it" alone in your backyard? Do you still considered "it" okay left alone in winter? As you all know, extremely unpleasant in spring thaw.
Oh! And since the words "natural material" was used. Why not just dispose of "it" in the street sewers (yes, being sarcastic here)?

The fact is, we are guest to the forest and we shouldn't crap all over it.

Writing4Fun
November 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Do you leave "it" alone in your backyard? Um, yes, as a matter of fact I do. I have a 1/2 acre lot, Phoebe spreads her poo around a lot, and we get a lot of moisture throughout the year so it decomposes very quickly.
Do you still considered "it" okay left alone in winter? As you all know, extremely unpleasant in spring thaw. By the time the spring thaw has come and gone, it's barely noticeable.
Oh! And since the words "natural material" was used. Why not just dispose of "it" in the street sewers (yes, being sarcastic here)? Because we're not on sewers, we're on septic systems. As a courtesy to my neighbours, I do pick it up when she "does it" while out on a walk, because I know it does make a mess when decomposing on a sidewalk, and I know that people don't appreciate it when it's left on their front lawns. But this is not a beautifully manicured lawn or a busy sidewalk we're talking about here. It's a forest, a natural environment with all sorts of natural measures in place to deal with this sort of thing on its own without humans sticking their noses in it.
The fact is, we are guest to the forest and we shouldn't crap all over it. The fact is that the forest has a lot more animals "crapping" in it (such a lovely word, than you for using it) than just my dog, so I don't see what the big deal is if I flick it off the beaten path to let nature take it's course. Far more detrimental to the health of the forest, I would think, is leaving it in plastic bags tied to trees, or sitting in a can that might get cleaned out once a month if you're lucky, or sitting in a landfill that is full to overflowing so they're going to clear cut said forest to make way for the new landfill. Far more detrimental, I would think, are the people who dump things like mattresses and old cars, or who cultivate part of the forest for their personal stash (if you get my drift) as is currently being done in my local forests. I'd much rather see my tax dollars going towards clearing out and preventing that type of pollution, rather than emptying out trash cans that are full of something that can take care of itself in a matter of days. :2cents:

Longblades
December 2nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
It's a matter of concentration I think. In a popular national park near me, which is an island, not only must dog owners stoop and scoop but they must carry their dog's feces home with them. The place would be filled with overflowing garbage bins if they didn't. I only hope they pack it in secure, odour preventing containers for the ferry ride home. :)

I am lucky to live in a rural area where deposits may be left to decompose but I am incensed to see them lying right in the middle of a trail. Could the owners not stop to get a stick and flick it into the bush?

As for the bags, I've not left them hanging from trees but as my girl got older she no longer had the control of her youth and sometimes left a deposit in a prominent place at the beginning of a walk. I always bagged it and often left it to pick up on my return home. I suppose in the intervening half hour or so someone else saw it and was putoff about it. But I always went back and picked them up.

Hmmm, now I'm thinking. I walk through a gully to cross country ski down the Trans Canada Trail and sometimes leave the overshoes I wear to protect my expensive cross country ski boots in a bag, hanging from a tree beside the trail. I've always been afraid someone would scarf my overshoes. But now I realize, they think it's poop in that bag. :laughing:

kiara
December 2nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
We went to Ottawa a few years ago and went for a walk in one of their many beautiful parks, I don't remember the name. We were shocked to see all the dog poop left everywhere for others to "admire". Tree ornaments sound ridiculous and a nasty way to damage nature, it is there for eveyone to admire. I would go to the parks department and have laws brought in, even have petitions signed!!! Maybe there aren't enough garbage bins around?? After all this is our capital and what will the tourists think??? Humans are strange.:wall: