Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The classifieds make me scream!!

lt_danish
March 12th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I check out the online classified ads all the time for my city. Just to see what is out there, dogs, puppies, supplies, services. I am getting increasingly annoyed with posts like this one.

"*** is 4 months old, she is a reg CKC Boxer. We purchased her from a breeder a couple of months ago, she has a clean bill of health (gaurantee) and she is just not fitting in with our family so regretfully we are finding her a new home. She is a kind dog just a little to "excitable" around our small children and horses."

GRRR!!! I just need to rant. Why don't people research breeds? Why don't people realize they are getting a puppy? puppies = puppy energy! How do these sort of situation slip past breeders? So sad, what a beautiful dog, hopefully going to a good home. In a fit of anger I sent someone a whole bunch of links to rescue dogs when they made a post about wanting a small dog... I wonder if they looked at them and took it into consideration. Hopefully.

OK, I feel much better.

papillonmama
March 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Shhh, don't tell anyone, but secretely, I sort of do the same thing, except reverse, when I see the ads about someone wanting the perfect dog for their family, "I want <insert breed>, can be any age, 3 months to 2 years." So what I do is look through petfinder or the animal shelters and I send them the link to the rescue dogs, then I put in a little blurb about how there are so many dogs in shelters and thanks for wanting to adopt an older dog.

I have no idea if any of them get the dogs, but I do it anyways, some people don't know that there are rescue lists.:shrug:

It is very frustrating to see that sort of thing, the ones I can't stand to read are the, my dog is 18 months old and is being aggressive towards our 3 month old puppy.;)

Frenchy
March 12th, 2007, 09:55 PM
some people don't know that there are rescue lists.:shrug:

Good move ! I used to do that too, and to reply to these adds ; dog free to good home. Telling them how dangerous this can be for their dogs. But I don't anymore, I get to depress when I look at all the BYB trying to sell their "pure breed". :sad:

clm
March 12th, 2007, 10:00 PM
The ones that drive me crazy are the 9 year old dog we no longer have time for, or moving and can't take the dog with us, or have allergies.
How you could part with a dog who thinks you are their whole world for 8 years because you suddenly don't have time for, or you're moving and didn't take into consideration that you need to find a place that'll take your dog, or allergies....which I think is one of the lamest excuses used far too often and not after giving enough time for a person to adjust to the animal dander, most cases the allergies subside. There are few excuses I find palatable for getting rid of an animal, but the flip side is, the animal is probably better off not being with such an uncaring person.

Cindy

Frenchy
March 12th, 2007, 10:02 PM
The ones that drive me crazy are the 9 year old dog we no longer have time for, or moving and can't take the dog with us, or have allergies.

Our rescue get lots of those and you're right, the dogs are better off :thumbs up

Byrd
March 12th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Yeah, those are the worse!!! :mad: Obviously they don't really want the dog anymore because any of those problems could be solved (two out of the three I've been through with Willow - it took a long time to find an apartment that would accept a dog, but I didn't give up, and I am highly allergic to dogs, but knew this before I even got a do, I suffer because I love).

People piss me off!!!!! :frustrated:

Maybe I'll join the bandwagon and start sending info on homeless poochies and kitties myself.

lt_danish
March 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Oh the 'we are moving and can't take the dog excuse" is one of the worst! Having grown up with all kinds of dogs in my family all my life, and moving all around the province I just don't understand? Would you move somewhere that didn't allow children if you had them? Nope. When I moved to my current living situation I would only look at condos that had pet friendly strata by-laws. I even managed to find one that would allowed two pets (either cat or dog, and as many smaller animals that you want). I would sooner switch to a part time job than give up my pet.

Byrd
March 12th, 2007, 10:22 PM
When my ex and I broke up and I had to move to an apartment (from a house) with the dog (cuz she's mine) I tried and tried and searched and searched, I got sooo frustrated. I was serously ready to move back in with my mom when I finally found a place that had in their add "one dog welcome".

Honestly, sometimes I just hate people!!! :yell:

lt_danish
March 12th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I tried and tried and searched and searched, I got sooo frustrated. I was serously ready to move back in with my mom...

Byrd - good for you for sticking to the search!

It is actually amazingly hard to find pet friendly places around here in Victoria. Luckily there is a canine advocacy group with a forum that posts pet friendly rentals that anyone hears about. I am currently checking it frequently for a friend with a cat in a bad living situation. The women's shelter also isn't pet accomodating which is sad.

Loves Labs
March 12th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Shhh, don't tell anyone, but secretely, I sort of do the same thing, except reverse, when I see the ads about someone wanting the perfect dog for their family, "I want <insert breed>, can be any age, 3 months to 2 years." So what I do is look through petfinder or the animal shelters and I send them the link to the rescue dogs, then I put in a little blurb about how there are so many dogs in shelters and thanks for wanting to adopt an older dog.

.;)

I do the same thing almost every day. I think it has become a bit of an obsession but reading those classifieds just gets me down :sad:
I wish some people were just a little more educated when it comes to pets....there are so many sad stories out there. I like to think I've reached at least one person :shrug:

glitterless
March 22nd, 2007, 06:34 AM
Although it's sad, I think it's better that these people give their pets away to a better home than keep them in an environment that obviously isn't working out. At least they are admitting that they made a mistake and that the dog would be better off in someone else's care.

Spirit
March 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Those "I'm moving, Dogs not allowed" ads upset me, but it does happen. I looked for TWO YEARS looking for an affordable place that wasn't a dump. But I got lucky. I didn't HAVE to move, so I stayed where I was living (for two loooooooong years), and I even quit my job to get a new one where I was allowed to take my dog to work with me.

Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to wait for 2 years, and if you're in a situation where you have to be gone by the end of next month, finding a place isn't so easy. It's a real problem (or at least here in Vancouver, it is). Rentals don't allow pets anymore, and yet the mills keep selling to the pet stores. Most of them end up at the shelters, not because their owners couldn't handle them, but because they couldn't keep them.

Getting a piece of paper to declare my own dog as a therapy dog (which he is), is next to impossible. One of my customers at work is in a wheelchair, and she's having just as hard a time as I am. And even if she gets approved, she's still going to run into problems.

Hopefully soon the law will pass (we're getting there!!), where you can apply to keep your pet or get a new one in any type of housing. The problem is with all the irresponsible pet owners. Not the ones who have to give up their own.

matangers
March 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Aww.. I hate that, too. I was a guardian of pug mix, Leo for 2 years and we lived in an apt for 2 years. So, we looked for an apartment with dog allow (monthly fee or deposit). Then we got Chevy (Matt's worker found him at dealer and I post Lost Dog in newspaper and heard nothing so we ended up keep Chevy because he was very spoiled and wonderful dog)... then I became stay at home mom. Leo was given back to his owner since she got a house. So, we moved to a new house and we made sure that the backyard is very much access to the dog and future dogs. After Chevy passed away, I was very devasted and lonely without 4 legs furry one. We decided to get Nova (the true story- the owner (my friend's worker) was allergic and ended up in the hospital. Nova was taken to her boyfriend's mother's house and rehomed her to me). A month later, we got Malibu out of craigslist.com and the lady who took care of Malibu, told me that she had her for a few months and Malibu was her neighbor's dog, moved away and would be back for Malibu, but never come back. The owner couldn't come back for her. So, the lady decided to post for adoption. For the first few weeks, I make sure that all of girls (my daughter and dogs) settle down in the new enviroment in home. Stella already connected with them so much and identify them as Nova and Malibu. Nova is HOUSE BROKEN!! But still, I still love her and try to train her not to do this. I have to remember that she's a puppy and it would be forever so I clean the house! Ha ha ha. Malibu could be sneaky, but so wonderful dog. So, once they make a mess, they will alway make a mess no matter what.

LynLyn
March 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
People suck! I'm going to start emailing people links to rescue as well!! Good for you papillonmama I wish I had thought of that sooner!

When i was bought my house, I inspected my backyard more than I inspected the living room :D ! why would anyone not want to bring along their family?

MyBirdIsEvil
March 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
I can't even hardly read through the pet section of the classifieds on my local message board anymore because of stupid owners/breeders.

The ones that upset me the most are the "WTB" posts, that means "want to breed".

Recently I ran across this one though. :mad:

The title was "needs to go"

"i have a female lab, i just need to get rid of her to make room, does anyone want to make me an offer?"

To make room? Huh? I could see the exact same thing being applied to a piece of furniture.

"needs to go. i have an old coffe table, i just need to get rid of it to make room"

CyberKitten
March 22nd, 2007, 11:50 PM
I stopped reading Pets section of the classified - it is too frustrating (even if I had time to contact everyone offering a free to good home cat for any of the above reasons. We love them but..... arrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

To make my day - and anyone on this Board who knows anything about pets, someone who came into my office today made a point of telling us lucky she was to find one guy show up and take ALL four of their 6 week old kittens!!! "He looked kinda scruffy", she says, "but he must OK if he likes animals!" Suuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeee, and he is going to do exactly what with these kittens??? I told her all about bunchers and other nasty pppl and snake owners etc - this guy could be legit. She did not even get an address!!!!! My Gawd, what the heck (I want to say more but this is a family chat) is wrong with people?