Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A second Puppy?

Matty
March 12th, 2007, 07:18 PM
A few weeks ago I put a down payment on a Puppy that will be ready to go at the end of April. At the moment I have a three month old schnauzer/poodle mix[Female]. By the time the new comer comes a long she will be 5 months, and the new puppy wil be 8 weeks old - another schnauzer/poodle mix[Male].

Should I do this? I've spent the day reading online suggestions about raising two puppies at once. Some are positive and say it can be done, but most say it isn't a wise decision. What is your take?

I'm completely obsessed with this topic at the moment, and any light you can shed on this idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matty.

mummummum
March 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM
An awful lot depends on you! Your stamina, lifestyle, housing situation, work situation, ability to either stay-home/come home during the day/ afford doggy dare or a dog walker, support at home and so on.

Puppies are a lot of work as you know. You will be going through potty-training twice.As they will be at different life and learning stages, you will be teaching one, then teaching the other the same things a few months later, then re-teaching the first one who has sudednly forgotten everything they ever learned:D . You will have twice the Vet bills ~ which can be astronomical (...or just moderately wallet-whacking if everyone is healthy).

I'm a "sole-support Mum" with 3 dawgs, all rescues, two of whom are sisters I've had since they were wee-weenie-wee's. It certainly wasn't and isn't all roses !

lt_danish
March 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I have never had two pups at one time. I am desperatly wanting another dog but will wait until my current puppy is more grown up. At least one year old. I was in dog class with some puppies that lived in the same home and were close in age and their people had a much harder time training them (or so it seemed), I don't know if that had to do with the bond between the dog or the dog's people.

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Two pups take a lot of time and training--if left to their own resources, they'll enforce each other's bad habits. However, if you have the time and energy to spend and the resolve to work at it, you can certainly raise two pups at a time.

In 2002, we adopted a 9-month-old dog in August; an 8-wk-old pup in October; and the following Feb, another 12-wk old pup. The next year was the most delightfully labor-intensive, energy-spiked time I've ever spent! The DVDs I have of their antics are so energetic that they practically bounce the DVD player off the stand. :crazy:

It was extremely hard work--I don't think I could have done it right without being at home full-time. And there were some downsides--one major one was that when we moved after that first year we needed to relandscape the backyard--the bushes, grass, and young trees were pretty much nonexistent. :o

And I'd definitely suggest that you get a good sturdy pair of bicycle gloves for those teething stages :D You know--the gloves that cover the palm and back of the hand but leave the fingers free? They really save wear and tear on the skin when your pups decide that the only thing that will soothe those sore gums is chewing on your hands... :eek:

(Just as a post-script--in fall of 2004, we adopted 3 more dogs, bringing our Pack total to 6, the oldest having just turned 3 years of age and the youngest coming in at a year-and-a-half. he he he Just so you know the madness continued :laughing: )

clm
March 12th, 2007, 08:30 PM
The breeder that we're getting our 2 puppies from won't sell 2 puppies from the same litter to one owner, she says they have a tendency to bond to each other and not to you as well as they should. She says even if she keeps 2 pups from one litter herself, she finds it difficult to train them and if for any reason they are separated later on in life they have a much harder time of dealing with it. She is a trainer with a training facility, so I'm assuming she knows best. I'm still going to have 2 pups, but they will be from different litters and a few months apart in age. I don't know if I would even try this if my husband wasn't home all day, I would be more inclined to wait until one pup was at least 6 months old or even get an older dog from the breeder instead of 2 pups.

Cindy

Matty
March 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM
All really helpful, guys.

Thanks For Everything,
Matty.