Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

*sigh* with the best intentions i made it worse!!

RolandsMom
March 12th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I finally went to talk to the vet about Rolands diarrhea. told them ive switched him back to his old food, giving him pumpkin and digestive enzymes and today it was worse!!! (still only at his usual litter box times at least thank goodness but even looser). they told me to stop the pumpkin straight away as it is used to loosen not firm up the bowels. so :sad: its been my fault all along that my poor boys tummy hasnt been getting better.
at least im on it now. only old food, a little yogurt for probiotics and some white rice cooked in chicken broth. :fingerscr hopefully it will work. i feel like a dork. :o :sad:
so anyone trying to use pumpkin to firm up, learn from my mistake!!!!

Spirit
March 12th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure about cats, but canned pumpkin is what we give all our puppies with diarrhea, and I'd say about 98% of the time, it works within 8-12 hours. It's basically just fiber, so it will work for constipation as well, but it's one of the only remedies that I trust for diarrhea in dogs.

RolandsMom
March 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
i dont know. maybe its different with cats. i thought it would work but actually it has made it worse! im hoping the rice and yogurt works or its off to the vet with us! :sad:

Scott_B
March 12th, 2007, 06:16 PM
i really dont know about cats & pumpkin, but with dogs its used both ways.

Winston
March 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I have had great success with dogs...Good Luck to Roland! He is soo handsome!

Cindy

RolandsMom
March 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
thank you. yes hes a very handsome boy. hes as full of mischief as he is cute so they kind of equal each other out.
youve had success with pumpkin with dogs? i hope someone who has tried it with cats will write too!