Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Okay I have a question??

Winston
March 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
You will all probably think I am crazy but I am going to ask anyway! Is there a cream or moisturizer to buy for dogs? Winston's skin is so dry! It is not really flaky but very dry looking...Winston does not have a think coat either ...his scratching has got to drive him nuts and is making me feel bad too! I put a t shirt on him and he seems to have cut down the scratching and also he connects with the shirt and not his skin..

Cindy

~michelle~
March 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM
have you tried a moisturizing shampoo? fish oil capsules?

technodoll
March 12th, 2007, 04:33 PM
could also be a sign his food is not agreeing with him... healthy dogs on a good diet who get all the nutrition they need do not have dry skin... you may want to supplement with fish oil capsules to see if that helps :cool:

Winston
March 12th, 2007, 05:09 PM
We are working on the food...he is now on Natural Balance DP.( previously Hypoallergenic from Hills ). I use an oatmeal bath occasionally..I used to put flax seed oil on his food and he would vomit...Fish oil capsules are they from the pet store or helath food store?

Cindy

~michelle~
March 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM
i forget how much you give per pound of dog, but fish oil can be purchased at shoppers, and health food stores pet stores and vets charge a lot for it
(TD will prob have more info)

luckypenny
March 12th, 2007, 05:45 PM
'Avena Sativa' is what we used successfully when we first brought our dogs home. This is a spray on conditioner with natural colloidal oat extract and it helped with the dandruff and itch they were experiencing. I've never seen it elsewhere other than our vet's clinic. Perhaps you can email them for a list of suppliers in your area. http://www.aventix.ca/index.html

PetFriendly
March 12th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Dry skin in our house has been caused by low fat foods, stress and the heating system, and its affecting dogs and humans alike!

Ask your vet what you can give the dog in terms of fish oils, etc... Our vet will tell you if you can get the same thing cheaper at the drug store, but only if you ask. ;)

Toonces
March 12th, 2007, 06:22 PM
We used salmon oil capsules on one of our fosters and it worked great (he was about 75lbs and got 2 broken over his brekky and dinner), he also got a bath with oatmeal shampoo and it really seemed to help the itch.

Winston
March 12th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks Everyone! I am pretty sure there are some household issues as well...He starts the excessive scratching as soon as the furnace comes on...Sometimes in the summer he gets a rash and will scratch...so at this point some fish oil sounds good..just not sure he will like it...I bought fish food for him once and he would not touch it! I am still working on the food along with the digestive enzyme and things are okay ..he still wastes an awful lot of food! it goes right through him! (piles are much larger! he he)

Cindy

technodoll
March 12th, 2007, 07:31 PM
i buy big bottles of Fish Oil capsules at our local pharmacy (always the ones on sale!), they are standard 1000mg per capsule and each dog gets one per day just popped down their throat, and voila! no fuss, no mess, no waste ;)

Winston
March 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Awesome Thanks TD! Do you know if it is good to give your dog Glucosomine? I have heard it is good for them?

Cindy

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 03:24 AM
How are his ears? Anything itchy?

I use liquid fish oil in a pump... (this one) (http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicvetnx/products/biofats.htm) Works pretty well... You keep it in the fridge... Jemma gets 2 pumps twice a day now and she's getting softer and softer and her dandruff's finally gone! :highfive:

mummummum
March 13th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Glucosamine won't do anything for his skin or chronic itching. It's used to support joints and is recommended as a supplement by many Vets for aging, larger dogs who may be prone to arthritis and/or dysplasia and in cases where arthritis or dysplasia is already present in all sizes of dogs.

Winston
March 13th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Depends on the day but yes his ears are itchy! He gets these little tiny bumps almost like hives...I try to keep the ears clean and that really helps!

Cindy

PetFriendly
March 13th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Not sure if its the case with your dog, by my Charley gets ear issues when his allergies are triggered... I think its time to lean on your vet to get a better diagnosis :D .

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah, allergies or even yeast can cause bad skin and itchy ears. :o If it's allergies, a complete food change might be in order. :o If it's yeast, anti-yeast probiotics, and supposedly some coconut oil can really kill off yeast..:shrug:

Spirit
March 13th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Why did you switch his food (aside from being occasionally itchy) what was the reason), and what was he on before? And I'm curious... why duck and potato instead of sweet potato and fish?

If the scratching has obvious triggers (ie. the furnace), and becomes worse in the summer, then the problem is envirnmental. As for shampoo's, my favorite dog shampoo is a solid bar from Canyon Meadow (http://www.canyonmeadow.ca). It's fortified with EFA's, and also contains citronella, cedarwood oil, and tansy, which are all natural flea and tick repellents. Oatmeal and aloe are also soothing for dry skin and fur, and tea tree oil is great for skin irritations (antibacterial). Tea tree oil by itself can be very drying though, so if your shampoo has it, make sure it's balanced with one of the others mentioned.

PetFriendly
March 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Personally I would hold off on all the bathing until the source of the dry skin is discovered. Contact with water can lead to dry skin in dogs as it strips the oils, regardless of what kind of shampoo you use. You need to figure out what is causing the itchiness and it won't be easy if you are masking the symptoms with moisturising soaps... IMHO anyway.

wildhair
March 14th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I agree. My sister is a germ-o-phobe. (not sure of the spelling there). She was bathing her dog 2 or 3 times a week and the dry itchy coat and even hair loss resulted.
Some carpet smelly sprinkly stuff causes it as well as perhaps outdoor fertilizers or anything else that may be on the ground.

Just another thought.

Winston
March 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Sorry for taking so much time to reply! I will try to make this brief...

Winston is 7 years old now...he has had skin problems from day 1. It started out as dry skin, itchies and also these red sores that looked like an extra large chicken pock! and he would vomit alot! Vet visit advised us to try various foods as it was a food allergy! So we began the almost year long test of only chicken, then only beef etc etc...Nothing seemed to work! So on the advise of the vet we put him on Hypollergenic Hills Food...This worked for a little while with the rash! I kept him on this food for probably 6 years now not knowing any different!

Around October Winston had diarrea for almost 2 weeks! We went through a paste (I forget right now what it was called) and some pills I think they were called Metrodiazonal?? This cleared it up for a few weeks and then he went back to the diarrhea..We ran tests for worms, parasites,thyroid etc...As per the vet they were all very good! We even did something I think they called it a Wellness Test! Nothing evident in that either...So then the vet decided we should try a Hills Gastrointestinal Dog Food! I gave him that until recently...This food made him full of gas?? His stomach would be girgling! and his poop was really really soft (although somewhat formed?)

Then long story short I had a day of enlightening on this site! Wow I never realized the crap in dog food! So to date we have tried a few other foods but for the past month he has been on Dick Van Pattens Duck & Potato.and I am giving him the Eaglepack Holistic Dygestive Enzyme ..The reason I selected this brand was to keep it in line with the hypo food he used to eat was also duck & potato. I did not choose a fish based food because I tried it years ago and he would not eat it!

He seems to have accepted this new food and he is eating it BUT he is wasting everything he eats because his poops are enormous! compared to pooping once or twice a day..now he poops sometimes 3 or 4 times and large ones! (sorry for the gross description and my poor spelling! :laughing: ) and maybe this is the type of food or the ingrediants but his poops used to be a orange brown color...now they are black...or very very dark!

Thats the story!

Cindy

I dont bath him very often maybe once or twice a year! I use the oatmeal shampoo for dogs.

Winston
March 14th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Ooops! One more thing...I removed all the carpets in my house last summer in the hopes that that would help him out and it has not really made a difference that I can see.....It is alsways worse when it is really really hot outside or when the furnace comes on as well...

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I think maybe it's time for a more radical diet change... For me that means, no more poultry and at the very least, no gluten (no wheat or barley)... :o

Winston
March 14th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Prin..I would do anything for my dog....even the diet excercise..but I have tried chicken, beef, pork, lamb and duck..the only one that appears to be the best was the duck? secondly I let him sample venison & salmon and he would not even touch that food..and you say wheat or barley eh? Isnt that in pretty much everything? Your probably saying ! boy she has a lot to learn!

I would even try cooking food for him but I know him really well and I cant really give him any form of human food other than fruit & vegies....a piece of steak for example would give him the runs for days!

One thing I noticed about this new food DVP Duck & Potato he wants more food than normal...he normally eats 4 cups per day but the last couple of days he has been wanting more food?? He has been on the food for a month at least now?

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
and you say wheat or barley eh? Isnt that in pretty much everything? Your probably saying ! boy she has a lot to learn! lol No, you actually don't have that much to learn. It is pretty much everything.:D Have you tried Evo or any of the other high protein ones? Does he do really badly on chicken?

Some foods do make them more hungry... Or maybe he's just feeling better, so his appetite is going up.. :shrug: When I started my doggies on a bit of Canidae lamb and rice, they started getting hungrier... I think the food is just tastier.:shrug:

But supplements might help too (I think I said that already :o), once he has fully adjusted to the food you choose...

H.P.
March 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Others here know WAY more than I do, but when I was young, the vet recommended treatment for fleas was to rub on, or bath them with Avon's Skin So Soft oil in the oil (the original blue one). Seems that might help with dry skin too.

glitterless
March 17th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Fish oil is probably best like everyone suggested, but adding regular vegetable oil, canola oil, or corn oil would probably help his skin too and be a little cheaper.

rainbow
March 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I think you should try California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato or Go Natural Salmon and Oatmeal. DVP's has the potatoes before the duck and is actually called Natural Balance Potato and Duck. The two foods I mentioned are much better IMO. :shrug:

Prin
March 17th, 2007, 09:24 PM
If meat is what you want, the fishy ones are lacking in it. Whether it's California Natural Herring or the Go! Salmon, they're all really grainy. The only ones that aren't so bad are the Timberwolf organics ones and Barking at the Moon (which has beef though).

California Natural Herring & Sweet potato:
Herring
Barley
Oatmeal/Rolled Oats
Herring Meal
Herring Oil
Sweet Potatoes
Sunflower Oil

The first herring gets bumped...:o

Prin
March 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM
And the Go! Wild Salmon and Oatmeal:

Salmon Meal, Salmon, Oatmeal, Whole Oats, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols (vit. E), Oat fiber....

Oats, oats, oats... :sad: