Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

training treats

Lukka'sma
March 12th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I don't know whether to post this in the food forum or training forum so here it goes.
I need to find a yummy treat that Lukka is willing to work for. I know some don't reward with food but I choose to. What do people that train agility or SAR use to treat with? Everything I have tried doesn't interest her enough. I don't think I will ever get her recall 100%, but something has to entice her. I have tried liver, chicken, beef, weiners, a new recipe that uses bacon dripping and one that uses tuna as the main ingredients. No luck. She will carry all of the above around and maybe lay down and nibble but just give you that, ehhh, nothing special look.
I always try and teach her on an empty stomach too so that she will be more willing to eat the treats, but like I said, I haven't found that one food that she can't resist. Any idea's?

~michelle~
March 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
aiden is treat fussy. he does love Northern biscuits (can be found at Dr. Doos). brax and logan love wellness soft chews they can be cut simply with a knife into training size bites. hmm as yucky as they are alot of peoples dogs seem to love milk bone (aiden does :yuck: ) i go to dr. doos to purchase treats and they are always helpful helping find something for aiden that he will love

luckypenny
March 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Fortunately for me, Penny will do ANYTHING for food. Not so fortunate that Lucky is not very food motivated. However, he does like Natural Balance Food Rolls. I break it up into tiny little pieces for rewards but don't ever give it to him any other time. It has to be a real treat for him. Once in a while, for a change, I also reward him with Hip Chips (Smart Product, Makers of Greenies). I'm not sure if these are as healthy so I don't use these as often but he sure does like them too.

PetFriendly
March 12th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I found I had best success with a mixture of treats. I have a 'treat' bag that clips to my belt/pocket that I use for agility and obedience and there are always at least three kinds of treats in it. Since Charley is small compared to your average package of treats, I have an air-tight treat bucket that anything moist goes into. Dry treats such as liver go into their own bucket.

Here's some of what we use (all are commercially prepared, I'm just not that much of a go getter :D ), and for convenience they are all broken into pee sized pieces before going into the pouch.
- Roll Over pre-cut and frozen until used (once open it only keeps for a week)
- small soft treats (right now we are using the AKC liver ones)
- Beggin Strips broken into pieces
- Snaussages
- Pupperoni
- Cheddar cheese
- Chicken (ok, I lied, I make this one myself)

Maybe the treats you are giving are too big? My trainers always said that treats for training should be just a taste, not a snack, because they loose their train of thought if they have to chew for too long.

~michelle~
March 12th, 2007, 05:35 PM
oh dehydrated liver my dogs will do anything for it!

jessi76
March 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I went through that when training my dog - trying to find treats that would keep his interest. some that never failed were...

- Liver biscotti... this kind in particular http://www.liverbiscotti.com/

- freeze dried treats from a raw supplier (the training school I used often gave us samples from Bravo, http://www.bravorawdiet.com/bonusbites.html)

- dog food that comes in a roll (i.e. http://www.redbarninc.com/c-16-food-for-dogs.aspx) this can be refridgerated and then it breaks up into chunks - works great as treats - messy for a pocket though!!! baggies only w/ this one.

those 3 worked well because they weren't things my dog got normally. we discovered these AT training, and only used them for training, so it worked.

Tommysmom
March 12th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Since Tommy's been sick most of his life, food has never interested him - except for milkbones, which he's not allowed to eat. We got him Wellness Pure Rewards treats, they're like little squares of meat jerky, and he FREAKS OUT over them. We have the venison flavour since that's all he's allowed, but they have others. Tommy literally starts shaking and whining when he sees the bag and he'll do anything we want just to get one! It's the only thing he's ever been so crazy about.

Lissa
March 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
What do people that train agility or SAR use to treat with? Everything I have tried doesn't interest her enough.

I think you'll find that a lot more emphasis is put on tugging with your dog and building toy motivation...
I have nothing against treat training and its my dog's main motivator but seeing as your dog has little interest, I wouldn't push it!
Here's an excellent article about increasing toy motivation:
http://www.clickerdogs.com/createamotivatingtoy.htm

It's always great to have a wide range of rewards at your disposal so if you do find a treat she'll work for that's great! But remember, some dogs have very strange ideas of what constitutes a reward - in Greg Derrett's agility video, one of the dog's would only work for pine cones and empty aluminum dish pans. Those were the only things that were high enough value to motivate him to work - as a handler, its our job to find out what are dogs value most and figure out a way to use it to our advantage!
Good Luck!

lt_danish
March 12th, 2007, 07:00 PM
For Brighton I have a treat bag with a variety of treats. Well actually I have a couple little bags of different things in the same pocket. All of the treats are really mini, I cut them up so its a mear taste. I have figured out the ones she really likes and try to save those for harder situations. Another thing is I break up some of the food roll even more into many tiny pieces, I was told by a trainer that its is like the jackpot for a dog to think they get so many at once.

-Wellness Pure Rewards
-Natural Balance Food Rolls
-Lamb
-Chicken
-Cheese

Cram
March 12th, 2007, 11:33 PM
We also use the Rollover food cut into small pieces and frozen (it's pretty inexpensive and lasts a long time). We've found though that Helix will do anything for tiny bits of cheddar cheese or bananas! He loves most fruits or veggies though :)

Melei'sMom
March 13th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Melei will do anyting for little nibbles of any treat that she can smell, or for her fav treat in the worls....frozen peas....don't ask, no idea why she loves them so much but she does.

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 04:18 AM
These liver thingies are a little expensive, but I got a bag to try out and they're great. It's like thin brittle, so you can snap off teeny pieces. :thumbs up
http://www.barkingmadlife.com/bm_shop.html

Spirit
March 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I need to find a yummy treat that Lukka is willing to work for. I know some don't reward with food but I choose to.

Why do you chose to? I ask because in my experience, it's easier to train a dog who'll work motivationally (is that word?) and not for food. I didn't treat train at all until we started agility, and that's when he realized that he could manipulate ME for the treat he wants. "What'cha got? Nah, not good enough."

Needless to say, the treats very quickly got eliminated, and he now works harder than ever for me (and not for treats). Though sometimes I'll surprise him with something REALLY tasty (jackpot!) when he does something really outstanding.

breeze
March 13th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I train with and without, they both work very well for me so that bree doesn't always look for treat rewards. as for treats, I give her buddy biscuits, they come in veggie madness peanutbutter maddness sweet patato, and 2 other ones i think she goes nuts over them, there are 2 sizes large and tiny ones.

jessymoka
March 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Have you tried

Vitakraft
Chocomilk drops???

It's a safe treat and has vitamins... A,d,e,c,b1,b2,b6, and b12

They are very reasonable in price and my Abby lives for them!!!

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
Umm...

Vitakraft ChocoMilk Drops
Description: Chewy drops made with milk and just enough cocoa to create an irresistible taste.

Chocolate kills dogs... I don't know why they've gone and made a dog treat with cocoa. :sick:

~michelle~
March 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
i use treats spiraticolly, sometimes they get them sometimes they dont, i think it keeps them motivated because they may get a cookie outta the deal but they like the praise too

Winston
March 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Funny story! When Winston was going for his grade 2 obedience test they told me to bring him his favorite treat! So I did! little pieces of chedder cheese...well I ended up having to reschedule the test because all he would do was keep himself in a sit position in front of me looking at the pouch and droling for his cheese! It was not real funny at the time but I laugh now! he he he :laughing:

P.S He passed his graduation with doggie cookies instead!

Goldens4Ever
March 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Some others eluded to this....

Not all dogs are food motivated! We have come to learn this, as we have 2 Golden Retrievers: Goldie always wants & expects treats for doing anything (even just coming inside the house when we call her), but Aspen does NOT. Aspen just wants praise, praise, praise & to keep working/playing. Aspen does like treats when she's not doing something, but if she is in the middle of doing something, she is so focused that she has absolutely no interest in treats whatsoever-even her favorite ones.....she doesn't want to stop & 'waste her time' eating a treat, she just wants to keep going! LOL.

Aspen lives on praise & adoration for her reward; Goldie lives food as her reward. That's just how some dogs are.

cpietra16
March 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM
"If its not in a bowl its considered a treat"...and that is how my Winnie sees the world. As her treat I just grab an handful of her food and she will do anything:D for it:thumbs up

TeriM
March 24th, 2007, 12:23 PM
:laughing: Cpietra, Winnie sure is a typical lab. Sounds just like my two :o .

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Both my lab and husky are the same. :laughing: If it's in mom's hand it must it must be good. :D

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Post # 38 sounds encouraging :) ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25544&page=2

mafiaprincess
March 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM
For agility we had issues in the beginning with focus. So the smellier the better.. We had beggin strips I am still tryign to use like forever later.. Darn bag won't end.. But with growing up and some training I could use darn near anything now..

We have dehydrated liver that was our saviour for attention at rally-o. Other dogs kept tryign to investigate my pocket.. We have peanut butter flavoured zukes that are nice and small and squishy. sometimes we use shredded cheese..

Our new issue is we are working on heeling, and it needs major treating, so Miss Cider is off her kibble.. She's waiting to see what all else in a day she might get and she's minorly chunky looking to me.. so the balance between treats and kibble is my current issue.

But, as Lissa said nowadays for agility I use a tuggy only for use there, it's away unless we are at agility. Can't see it smell it or try to tug with it any other time. And I hope to pick up a toy for our continued practice of heeling, but for now I do need to treat it.

Dog Dancer
March 27th, 2007, 05:38 PM
We used Rollover as well. You can chop it into tiny little bits and freeze small freezer bags. Take them out as you need them. I did have to be careful not to give too many as I found they were oily or something and we ended up with soft stool if she got too many. (Okay my fault, I'd give her too many because she looooved them.) But they worked like a charm for us and Shadow is very picky. Halo has too many allergies to try this with her.

Cram
March 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I think I'm going to try this recipe for training treats for Helix. He loves fish and I really think he'll respond well to them. Plus I can make them without wheat flour (use rice flour instead), which is good cuz I think he may be sensitive to wheat :)

Fishy Fudge

2 cans of tuna in water (don't drain the water, use it too)
2 eggs
1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
1.5 cups flour

Put the tuna, eggs and garlic in the blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and mix in the flour. Spread in a greased 8x8 glass baking dish and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into squares (will still be goopey at this point). Put back in the oven and bake at 350 for another 10-15 minutes. Remove and cool. Break into precut squares and store in a sealed container in the fridge.

mafiaprincess
March 29th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Post # 38 sounds encouraging :) ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25544&page=2

Seems to have healthier tips in it.. Like with the amount of mercury in tuna, you likely want to wash it.. and definatly not use the water from it..

I think I'm going to try this recipe for training treats for Helix. He loves fish and I really think he'll respond well to them. Plus I can make them without wheat flour (use rice flour instead), which is good cuz I think he may be sensitive to wheat :)

Fishy Fudge

2 eggs
1.5 cups flour

Put the tuna, eggs and garlic in the blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and mix in the flour. Spread in a greased 8x8 glass baking dish and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into squares (will still be goopey at this point). Put back in the oven and bake at 350 for another 10-15 minutes. Remove and cool. Break into precut squares and store in a sealed container in the fridge.

rainbow
March 29th, 2007, 11:52 PM

Fishy Fudge

2 eggs
1.5 cups flour

That looks like a good easy recipe too. I would also NOT use the water that the tuna is packed in. Drain and measure it and replace with ordinary water. Also, drain the tuna really well in plain water because of the possible mercury levels. Or, you could substitute the tuna with salmon.