Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Treats

Troy98
March 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hello

I adopted a cat just before New Years(He is 8 years old and was abandoned becuase his previous owner had a baby) However the problem with him is that he doesn't like any type of treats. I have tried different brands, flavours everything! When I clip his nails I was told to give him a treat, and there are times when I believe he deserves treats(when he gets scared when fire alarms go off, or he has to share his space with another animal) but I have no clue what to give him. I know he is not a huge fan of hard foods(but he eats it anyway) and he is more a seafood cat then a chicken one.Does anyone have suggestions?? :cat:

Winston
March 12th, 2007, 04:09 PM
This may sound crazy but my 2 cats dont really like treats either! But I have had them on 2 different types of food lately..1 for urinary & the other for tarter ...So I give them the tarter one for treats! and they seem to think it is a treat! They actually will eat it and of course it makes me feel better too! Like I have rewarded them with something!

Cindy

Kristin7
March 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM
One of mine doesn't like the hard crunchy treats very much either. She goes nuts for melons and mushrooms, though, so she occasionally gets these, when i happen to have them around (not so much when i think she deserves something). I would try something soft, fruits or veggies are good, just check to make sure it isnt' toxic first. Or, maybe just a play session or some petting?

badger
March 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I agree, a treat is anything a cat likes best. My cats don't get treats either. When he's a good boy, give him a snuggle or play with him for a few minutes, some cats appreciate that attention just as much.
If he likes seafood, you could give him sardines, the ones packed in water (I get them from the dollar store), but only once a week. Have you tried any of the canned cat foods?
I don't know what you are feeding him but if he's a fussy eater make sure he's eating quality food. If you can afford it, put him on one of the holistic brands (Innova, Eagle Pack, etc).

~michelle~
March 12th, 2007, 04:33 PM
moe doesnt like treats either but loves attn and a kiss

RolandsMom
March 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
how about a little bit of canned tuna? Roland goes nuts for that stuff. or i managed to find some little dried fish at the petstore. he loves those too.

chico2
March 12th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately my cats only like Temptations,definetly not something good for them,but they get treats after we've been outside and they all obediently run inside,like good little kitties:cat: With mine,not even a treat or two would make them willingly have their nails trimmed:laughing:

Winston
March 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I used to give mine some tuna as well but the vet said to stay away from it as it will cause crystals.

Cindy

jessi76
March 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Mine get all sorts of goodies as treats, keep in mind only 1 or 2 TINY pieces is plenty.... cheese, chicken, salmon, tuna, cream cheese, yogurt, canned food, turkey, roast beef, etc... my cats aren't picky and will pretty much eat anything that is offered. not that they get these things often, but after I clip nails, put on flea prevention, take a trip to the vet, after a good brushing session, or when they are called back in from the garden I do reward them.

clm
March 12th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Not all of my cats like so called cat treats either. All of them on the other hand have always loved cheese and ham, they get a tiny, tiny piece of cheese or ham once in a blue moon. So tiny tiny pieces and given very rarely. Usually I give them something that special after a harrowing trip to the vet for their shots.

Cindy