Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Roxys mom had litter-5

heidiho
March 12th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Well friday when i got home i saw her mom so i followed her and she went behing managers building,then i hear the cries of kittens,they cant be more then a week old,i put food out for her,she didnt eat,i saw only 3,but then saturday,when i saw the manger she said there are 5,and that because of the rain she had to get them from outside because they were gonna drown in the water,the mom has not been around,they are dropping off kittens today,and if we can find mom get her fixed,so sad and never ending,

~michelle~
March 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM
poor momma cat... thanks for helping her heidi

CyberKitten
March 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Oh Heidi, bless you for caring!! Is the mom around to care for the kittens - they may need extra KMR and food with 5 of them - you can feed them with eyedroppers or syringes (I have done this many a nite and it can be long an tedious without mama around but where you have the mom, you can do it as an adjunct.).

I hope they'll be OK!!

chico2
March 12th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Heidi,they are dropping off the kittens where???
Mom must be desperatly looking for them,unless something happened to her,a momma cat will walk through fire for her kittens:sad:
However I was glad someone cared enough to save them from drowning.
It's a very sad situation,that poor female definetly needs to be saved from having more unfortunate kittens,they are not all as lucky as little Roxy..:fingerscr

heidiho
March 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
That is one of the reasons they took the kittens and put in the workout area where we live because friday night they were crying for hours and the mom never came,which she said was odd because when she had the litter roxy was in she never let them out if her sight,they have been feeding them w/ an eye dropper,these guys are small ,i have never seen kittens this tiny before,so i let them take care of feeding them,the kittens are going to the humane society,and the mom whenever she comes around again is gonna get trapped and fixed,we r also gonna try to trap roxys brother and get him fixed.

CyberKitten
March 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Oh Gawd, there is no mom!!! I did not get that for some reason (It's been a long hard day and I took a pain killer when I arrived ho,me so that may be it, sigh!)

You do realize you have to help little kittens eliminate. You feed them and then help them eliminate. This is how the Kitten Handbook explains what you need to do:

"By nature, momcats lick the "back end" of their babies to stimulate the bowels and bladder on a regular basis. If you are the babies' new momcat, guess who gets this duty! After each feeding, gently rub the kitten on its low abdomen, as well as the genitals and rectum, with a cotton ball, cotton pad, or tissues moistened with warm water. Make sure you rub only enough to get them to eliminate; overstimulation will irritate the area. Keep an eye out for chafing and lingering dirt.

Kittens should (and almost always will) urinate during each stimulation. They should defecate at least once a day. One trick is to slowly count to 60 while you're stimulating a kitten; at that point, you'll know if they're done or if something's on its way out!

When kittens get to be about four weeks old, they are usually ready to experience the wonderful world of litterboxes (and you'll be liberated from stimulation duty!). After each meal, put the kitten in the box and see what transpires. If they don't get it right away, try taking its paw and showing it how to scratch in the litter. They'll catch on before you know it!"

Good luck!!!!!! I hope the mama will be found but it is not good - no mama cat would ever leave her kittens - we had a stray who once got caught in a garage - that was when I was a child and someone visiting us foolishly left this cat outside!!!!! We had 4 kittens to feed and help eliminate until mama arrived home - she had somehow got locked in a neighbour's garage!!!

Here is the rest of the info at the Kitten Handbook:

http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm

Good luck!! I'll think good thoughts and hope mama is found!!!! You never know- she may be locked somewhere desperately worrying about her kittens!!! Poor her!!!

heidiho
March 12th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Well i dont know if they are gonna be there when i get home,and you have to remember i dont have alot of say in this situation it is up to the manager,and honeslty i dont want anyone getting mad or anything and taking away bob and momma,like i said when i got home friday the mom cat was walking to the back where they were,so we left and checked back and she was no where to be found,i even put food out for her and she never ate it,i must say she looked beat when i saw her,so then friday night it was pouring and the lady said the mom did not come around cause they were crying for hours,and good thing she did go check on them because they were probably minutes away from drowning,and i also didnt mention(sorry people that have kids) these 2 girls who i wanted to kill about 10 and 5 who now have been trying to pet my 2 strays,i warned them thursday they are wild dont try to pet them,what do they do go after them and try to,so they come back up to me and the little one is crying cause she got scratched ,i said i told you guys to please just let them be,well the next damn day what do they have but a fake mouse trying to get there attention,i was so pissed,so i also dont want them to find out about kittens,and i dont want to get into it w/ someones parents because their kids are morons,so i just cant get to involved w/ this,it is just becoming to upsetting and i am feeling overwhelmed and helpless,i will know tonight what ahs happend.I honestly dont think anything happend to mom,i bet she shows up again.

Frenchy
March 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM
omg, If these people never took care of kitties, I don't think they will survive. I did take 3 kittens from their mom last fall, it was getting very cold and one was barely alive. It's real hard , feeding them every 4 hours. Try to make them pee and poop, I only had them for 48 hours, brought them to my vet .... anyway, I hope all goes well for them. Good luck with the momma, I'm sure she will come around :fingerscr Don't feel bad or guilty Heidiho, there's only so much we can do. And so far you've done a lot. :highfive:

rainbow
March 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Fingers crossed that everyhing works out, Heidi. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes: :fingerscr And, thank you for caring and helping as much as you can. :angel:

heidiho
March 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I am pretty sure they have ,they were doing the whole feeding w / eye dropper and rubbing them,i dont know if that means they have done it before but i would bet they have,and we are concerned that they might not make it without mom,truthfully i just hope they are not there when i get home,it is just to heartbreakin to see,i mean they are so small,if they are there i will try to take picture,and thanks for that, momma is walking on her foot again it looks really good,never have done anything like that before and it is a great feeling........

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 03:27 AM
I hope the mom is ok. :fingerscr :fingerscr

:grouphug:

angeldogs
March 13th, 2007, 05:32 AM
:fingerscr mom is ok.
:fingerscr :pray: for the babies.
:grouphug: for all that are helping to save them.:angel:

CyberKitten
March 13th, 2007, 06:07 AM
OMG!! You are right - this will be dicey - keeping them alive is not the easiest proposition under the best of circumstances and this does not sound optimal!!

I hope yo God they are OK - and good for you and thse that rae caring for these little ones. I so hope mama shows up!!!! :fingerscr :fingerscr

marsupial mama
March 13th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I hope mom and kits will be o.k.

I also hope those kids (and their parents) will shape up PDQ as well. Drives me nuts when kids are dumb about animals and the parents say and do nothing. I always tried to teach my kids to be responsible and respectful around critters.

Please keep us posted. :)

chico2
March 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Heidi sweetie,I know you do what you can and I can soo understand your frustration,I was not critizising you in any way.
I am certain in the feral cat population,at least 50% of the kittens die,either by predators,or mom beeing killed or sick.:sad:
People created feral cats by not caring enough to neuter/spay their animals,it's really a sad situation.
You,by simply caring and trying to help are doing great:thumbs up

heidiho
March 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I didnt think you were,well here is the update,i saw the managers wife yesterday,and the kittens are still there,they are doing everything you guys said to make them go to the bathroom,they also just found out you need to burp them,they were all sleeping so i didnt look at them,she said the humane society will not accept them til they can eat on their own,because they are not staffed to give care like that,and she said if she took them there now most likely they would get put down,i still cant believe that,so if they are up when i get home i will get a few pics,have not seen the mom at all.

rainbow
March 13th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I hope Momma is okay. :fingerscr Maybe she isn't coming around because her kittens are being handled and she doesn't understand it's to help them.

heidiho
March 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM
That is exactly what i thought to,but it is a hard call,it has been pouring here and even before we started handling them,that friday they were out there crying all night and she didnt come around.To put them back outside for her i think is a big mistake ,i hear cats fighting at night,who knows if we put them back out there what might happen,it has been 4 days and they are doing well w/ the managers taking acre of them,and i do feel bad for the mom but in the end i think it is for the best we dont put them back out in the weeds and dirt.

rainbow
March 13th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I definitely agree the best chance for the kittens was to take them inbut it's Momma that doesn't understand. :sad: Hopefully, she will let herself be trapped and taken to be spayed. :fingerscr I know you've done everything possible :angel: and, I wish you more good luck. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes:

heidiho
March 13th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Thank you,and i do hope she gets trapped before this happens again,also roxys brother needs to be neutered if we can get him trapped.

Frenchy
March 13th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Wish them good luck with the kittens from me, it's a lot of work , but so far so good right ? :fingerscr

heidiho
March 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I will and so far it is all good,they were snoozing when i got home yesterday so didnt look at them,she said they are all fine,will take a look tonight for sure though,just have to see them.:thumbs up

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Well snuck over there last night,manager wasnt home,got flashlight,lifted hamper lid and they were all in there sound asleep w/each other,made a little noise and they woke up,so high tailed it outta there,we have no bottles or anything to feed them with,but they are doing good..Which is gonna lead to my new thread....

rainbow
March 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Glad to hear everything is going well. More good luck coming your way. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :fingerscr

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Thank you.I think it might all turn out ok..:fingerscr :fingerscr

CyberKitten
March 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Heidi, this may seem like a silly q and I may have missed something somewhere but how are the kittens eating if yiu have nothing to feed them with? And where do they go to eliminate? What about vet care?

Don't mind me, i am a worrywart, lol (and I never had a vet either for most of my feral kittens when I was younger - ie as in when I was a child) and they all survived - most of them anyway, sigh!

Good luck!! :fingerscr :fingerscr

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
The manager and his wife are caring for them ,they are doing all of it,making them go to the bathroom,feeding etc..The managers condo is attached to the workout room and that is where they are being kept./Vet care i just cannot do,do not have that kind of $$..Didnt do it w/roxy til we took her home,so when we (if we do) do take a kitten then he will go to vet.Looked in on them last night and they looked good..

chico2
March 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Heidi,I am glad the manager is a nice guy,he could just as easily have killed the kittens,like many people do,so kudos to him:thumbs up
Have you seen mama cat again?? I wonder what happened,for her to leave her babies:sad:
You know,she could be pregnant again,right after having had a litter:sad:

heidiho
March 14th, 2007, 04:41 PM
They are cat lovers to,they have had a cat for 10 years living and working there,and no one knows about it.Actually when his wife was gonna take them to the hs,when she told him that they had to wait til they were older he was happy he likes taking care of them.And didnt want to say anything but the road that goes from the beach up the hill past pur place to the freeway was a tabby that was hit by car,it was a horrible sight,obviously cant tell if it was her,and dont know how far ferals travel,but i have not seen her,and being as where the cat was located if she was to have walked straight up the road that is where it woudl bring her to,right where i saw the act.So i honestly dont know and pray it was not her,and that is my concern that she is gonna get pregnant again.Sucks because i will pay to fix her but dont know where she is.

chico2
March 15th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Heidi,that is really sad:sad: but it explains why she left her kittens:sad:
The life of a feral cat is probably not very long,even in beautiful Hawaii:sad:
I am glad your manager cares...:thumbs up

heidiho
March 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I am still hoping it is not her,she has disappered before,but not w/ a litter of kittens that need her,it is very very sad,that is why i know i shouldnt have gotten attached to bob and momma,.I would die if something happend to them,.Like i said on the other post ,peeked in on them yesterday they were sound asleep got 2 pictures will have monday,they were all curled up together so all you will see is a ball of fur.Yes thank god they do care,i dont know what i would do without them helping.

rainbow
March 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I hope it's not Momma but, as Chico said, it would explain why she hasn't come back to her babies......the life of a feral is very sad indeed. :sad: Looking forward to the pics of the kittens. :)

heidiho
March 15th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I hope not either,i just ordered this book i think it is called Alley cat,about some guy that studied a group of ferals and what he learned about them.

Frenchy
March 15th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I hope it's not the moma cat :sad: :fingerscr

CyberKitten
March 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Oh Gawd, I hope it is not the mama who was hot by a car tho ferals do have a tough life indeed!!! I hope with all my heart she is OK and lost somewhere but the days are adding up, sigh!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed tho. Poor cat!! (and her babies!)

heidiho
March 15th, 2007, 07:31 PM
My fingers are crossed to....The only times i have ever seen her are when she has had a litter,so i dont know if that is bad or good,but i also hope she is not getting pregnant either.,........

heidiho
March 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Well one kitten has passed:rip: ,i got home last night and went to see them and there were only 4,so i just finished laundry and put in a warm towel for them,saw the manager this morning he was warming up some milk for them,siad he just got done feeding the kitten and out it back in basket thought he was sleeping but he passed.The good news is 3 of them he has found homes for.....I am having a hard time lookin at them,dont think i will be anymore til they are older,they were kneading so much on the towel,basket anything and it seemed like they were trying to find anything to suckle on,i am just not this strong......

heyjude11
March 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Heidiho, what kind of milk is the manager feeding the kittens?

heidiho
March 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I didnt ask,was running late,but just wanted to ask about kitten that passed,i will ask tonight and i dont have computer at home,so will let you know monday,i was reading that you should give them goats milk.

Frenchy
March 16th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Inverness sent me a recipe for kitties's milk , but I don't have it anymore, I remember carnation milk, golden corn syrop...:yell: don't remember the rest but they will not survive if it's regular milk.

rainbow
March 16th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I don't know her recipe but I found this:

http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/a/kittyglop.htm

So sorry to hear about the kitten. :rip: :candle:

rainbow
March 16th, 2007, 09:39 PM
The good news is 3 of them he has found homes for......

Are you one of the three? :)

Kristin7
March 17th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I found some info in the past about what to feed and how to care for orphan kittens, see this thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34445

Looking forward to kitten pics!