Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal Glands and Raw

barkley21
March 12th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Hi everyone,
I just had a question about anal glands. Back when Barkley was on kibble, we used to have to get his anal glands expressed every 2-3 weeks, but since we switched him to raw, he hasn't had to have it done at all. I remember reading somewhere that raw fed dogs generally don't have a problem with anal glands, but I was wondering if someone could explain to me the reason why a raw diet eliminates this problem?
Just curious.
Thanks

Scott_B
March 12th, 2007, 08:59 AM
most kibble fed dogs have large soft stool. Newer kibbles are helping that though. But on a raw diet, there is less waste, and the stools are firmer. a little straining from the dog helps clear the glands out. now im not saying they should be constipated..not at all. So don't rad into that people lol.

barkley21
March 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks Scott. Makes sense to me!

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 02:46 AM
So don't rad into that people lol
While that explanation was totally "gnar", :D, I thought I'd also stick in here that allergies can cause the anal glands to be slightly itchy, which might cause the dog to notice them more ;);) which stimulates them to produce more. If by feeding raw, you've eliminated the allergen, you stopped the glandy cycle.:)

Scott_B
March 13th, 2007, 04:27 AM
read read sorry :p

Excellent point Prin :thumbs up