Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tiggers misadventure

Rottielover
March 12th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Hi all, sorry have not been on for awhile, so busy no time, ahhhhhh.
Ok this is tiggers misadventure. Last night at 10:45 there were lots of teenagers outside my window, Harley all freaked out, so I went to my patio door, opened it, and what were they doing. Throwing beer bottles near my car, so I let harley out to scare them with his bark, and did he ever, never seen them run so fast.
Now at 11:30pm, I get a knock on my door.Do I answer it, or not, who can it be, I check, and it is my neighbor. Her dog was barking like mad.
She asked me, am I missing my cat, I asked why, I opened my door, and here comes poor tigger all full of snow, and cold.
He must have gotten out when I opened the patio door.
He came in and snuggled with harley, I was freaking. Poor guy has never seen snow. I live on a busy street, I am so happy he did not go any further, Or My daughter and I would have lost the best cat.
He has not left my side, or harleys.....My neighbor was an angel, she got him from outside. He was the reason her dog was barking......

chico2
March 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Rottielover,wow,you were lucky you have a caring neighbor,chances are one feel of the snow is enough and he will not sneak outside again:fingerscr
I would have loved to have seen Harley scare away those kids,,big scary Harley:laughing:

Hunter's_owner
March 12th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Oh Wow. Thank Goodness for your neighbour:angel:

Yeah, like Chico said, hopefully Tigger got enough of a scare that he will never venture into the great outdoors again:fingerscr

cpietra16
March 12th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I'm happy to hear that Tigger is back in his warm home....Scary to think what could have happened...I'm glad your neighbours know your cat

Frenchy
March 12th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Good kitty Tigger stayed near his place !

Rottielover
March 12th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Thank you all, he gave me one hell of a good scare, and yes, I am so thankful that the little ( ok no so little) bugger stayed very close to home. He actually stayed where the dog was barking. Strange kitty, but a good kitty.

Frenchy
March 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I was thinking, maybe it's Tigger that scared the teens away and you think it's Harley...:laughing:

LavenderRott
March 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM
For every rottweiler owner in the U.S. who has spent time, and money doing everything possible to make sure that our dogs did everything possible to dispell the "bad ass" rottweiler image - I would like to thank you.:mad:

Next time a gang of thugs throw stuff at your car - either go out and tell them to knock it off or call the police. It is YOUR job to protect your stuff - not Harleys.

Rottielover
March 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM
you know what lavenderott, stop posting to my posts if they upset you so much. I was not asking him to protect, he barked at them, like all dogs do....mind your own please. Thank you

mummummum
March 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Actually, Rottielover while I'm sorry about unnoticed Tigger's escape into the snow ~ I agree with LavenderRott. My dawgs are my companions, my kids ~ I could never place them in a position where they could be perceived as a "weapon" or a means to intimdate or frighten others. Just my opinion.

erykah1310
March 12th, 2007, 08:54 PM
My dawgs are my companions, my kids ~ I could never place them in a position where they could be perceived as a "weapon" or a means to intimdate or frighten others.
Mine are also my companions and kids, however they do intimidate and frighten others. It really helps keep our stuff from getting ripped off.:shrug:
People drive by and see Puppy and Kita and you know they arent going to be stopping by here and attempting a B&E with them in the house.
I dont fully agree with sending a dog out to scare people off, but I will fully admit that I like that my dogs scare people away, its peace of mind.

Frenchy
March 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I don't think Rottielover send Harley to attack those teens ! She just let him bark at them , that's all, no weapon there.

Rottielover
March 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Ok I give up, I am wrong as always.....either way it did work, they did not stick around, I think they were more worried about the bark waking people up to see what they were doing.
I did not use Kill, or ick him, i let him out with me, if the bark did actually scare those punks away great. We are in an apt, he was behind a balcony gate, no way of him getting over, so I was not worried. By the way frenchy, Thank you
Harley is not a weapon, nor have I ever trained him that way. He is a great ambassador for the breed. Anyone that knows him or I personally know HOW MUCH training I have put into this dog so he stays a great ambassador.:thumbs up

erykah1310
March 12th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I fully understand what you are saying Rottielover.
And I agree with Frenchy's thought on this one.

Frenchy
March 12th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't try this with my boys (goldens) they would have jump off the balcony to run at the teens....to lick them to death , now that's a weapon = drool :yuck:

Rottielover
March 12th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Hey erykah1310 if you are able to meet up when you are done, you can meet my baby boy :cloud9:

LavenderRott
March 12th, 2007, 09:21 PM
You seem to miss my point, again.

It isn't the people that are willing to meet your dog that you need to impress with his temperment and disposition - it is the people who have seen your dog's breed in commercials, movies and headlines that are afraid of his breed already. You know, the people that you complain about crossing the street without giving your dog a chance.

Yes - if someone is going to break into your house - a rottweiler (or an akita) is a great deterent. But to stay in the house while sending the dog out - even if it is just to bark at someone - doesn't do you or the dog any favors. What if those kids had decided to start hurling bottles at Harley? Or what if they come back intending to do harm to him?

With rottweilers named in almost as many breed bans in the U.S. (and Canada) as pit bulls, when I see someone make a bonehead move and cause yet more people to view the breed as viscious - I am going to call them on it. No matter who they are.

mummummum
March 12th, 2007, 09:29 PM
... Harley all freaked out, so I went to my patio door, opened it, and what were they doing. Throwing beer bottles near my car, so I let harley out to scare them with his bark, and did he ever, never seen them run so fast.

I think there's a difference Erykah between having a dawg which gives you a sense of protection (as do mine for me) and using one to purposefully intimidate and frighten others.

Frenchy
March 12th, 2007, 09:30 PM
You seem to miss my point, again.

hummm , nope, I think you did :shrug:

LavenderRott
March 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM
hummm , nope, I think you did :shrug:

No. I didn't.

No - she didn't send her dog out to attack the teenagers. Yep, I get it.

She did send him out to frighten and intimidate them.

so I let harley out to scare them

There really isn't anything there to MISinterpret, now is there.

erykah1310
March 12th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Hey erykah1310 if you are able to meet up when you are done, you can meet my baby boy :cloud9:

I look forward to stealing... um i mean meeting him :D lol

Frenchy
March 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I look forward to stealing... um i mean meeting him :D lol

One more Erykah ? :eek:

erykah1310
March 12th, 2007, 09:47 PM
One more Erykah ? :eek:

:D :sad: No, Im good actually:D :cloud9:

Rottielover
March 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Ok, sorry if you misunderstood, or I was not clear enough, I was with him on the balcony. That is why I did not see tigger run out, it was only 30 seconds or so, I turned around after seeing them run, brought harley in, closed the balcony door.Then went back to bed, it was at 10:45, then at 11:30 I get a knock on my door.
I have never, nor will I ever leave him on the balcony alone. He hates being alone, always has, he would just turn around and wait for me if I did.
Either way, beer bottles cleaned up, and neighbors were happy with harley barking to rid of themI re read my post, I totally fogot to mention I went out with him in my bare feet. My fault, sorry

Frenchy
March 12th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I don't like it when we have to justify ourselves, that's too bad. The thread was about Tigger's escape, and he's home now, that's all that matters.

TeriM
March 12th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I'm so glad that tigger is safe and sound :thumbs up .

If I was going outside to yell at kids or any disturbance you can bet that I would have my dog by my side :) .

~michelle~
March 12th, 2007, 11:25 PM
if a dog barking scares some dumb ass teenagers let em bark.
i would be more pissed off at the teenagers for continuing to misrepresent their demographic and giving teenagers a bad name...
harely barked, any dog would do it... i had a lhasa that scared away someone trying to steal my car because of the noise she made through barking .
so i dont think a rottie barking gives any misinterpretation of the breed.
yes they do have a bad name,but its not because people have seen them barking in media.... i for one love rotties and think they are dolls have always wanted one and one barking isnt going to do anything, if she let him out and he attacked people that would be a different thing.
Logan barks at people that seem rowdy, obnoxious, or are suspicious all the time, and people on my property, he's part GSD a commonly listed breed in the BSL, but i dont train him to do this, however i dont stop him from barking if hes growling or lunging at people i do correct it.
dogs bark... its what they do. its the fear of attention being brought to them that scares people off when the dog barks he was on a balcony noone was worried they we're going to be attacked

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Sorry, Rottielover and Frenchy, but I agree with mum and Lavender...:o When I was in an apartment in a dog hating neighborhood, I did all I could to get people to like my dogs and NOT be intimidated by them. We had a bar across the street and every weekend, at 4AM they'd sit in the streets smoking, drinking and yelling. Yeah, they smashed bottles near my car, and you know what I did to scare them without damaging my dogs' reputation? I set off my car alarm with the panic button. Most people have one these days, so why not use that instead. You can turn it on when you want and shut it off when you want much more reliably and more anonymously than a dog. :shrug:

As I said, my neighborhood was a dog hating one, so I was careful. You're in a rottie hating country. :shrug: Same thing, IMO.

chico2
March 13th, 2007, 07:58 AM
"Rottiehating country":confused: I don't think so,personally,I think they are amazing dogs,if treated right,like any other breed.
I have yet to meet a person who says,she/he hates Rotties,admire,respect yes,but not hate.

mummummum
March 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM
:offtopic: :sorry: Really Chico ? I think if there is going to be a "next" on the BSL list it will be Rotties.

LavenderRott
March 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
"Rottiehating country":confused: I don't think so,personally,I think they are amazing dogs,if treated right,like any other breed.
I have yet to meet a person who says,she/he hates Rotties,admire,respect yes,but not hate.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you don't own one. Believe me when I tell you that when you walk down the street with a rottweiler on the end of a leash - people WILL cross the street to avoid you.

The year before Chase died, I took her to a public function in a local park. As the children and I stood in line to buy some cotton candy - with Chase sitting in a heel position politely by my side, a man walked by with a labrador that promptly turned into a loud snarling mass and snapped at her face. The man immediately started yelling at ME for bringing a viscious dog out in public and people started moving away from us. Chase never moved! Had a police officer not been standing nearby and seen the whole incident - I would have been ticketed and asked to leave.

This is a fact of life for rottweiler owners. I have yet to meet one that hasn't had at least one incident like the one described above.

I can think of more then one incident where I required that Chase go to the door of my home with me when someone knocking made me nervous. Again, she sat politely at my side. In 8 years - I NEVER asked her to scare or intimidate anyone. It is MY job to protect my family and my property. If the presence of a large dog in my home keeps someone from breaking in, so be it. But it is not something that I would ever ask of them.

This is a public forum. When I started this post, there were over 200 guests reading various posts. If just one of them reads my post and learns something - then I have done what I intended to do. While Rottielover may not believe that I didn't intend to pick on her - that was not my intention. Educating people was.

rainbow
March 13th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Rottielover, I'm glad you have a caring neighbour and that Tigger is back at home :) and I'm sorry your thread got so hijacked. :sad:

Bushfire2000
March 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I'm Glad tigger got back home. That would have been terrible the poor kitty outside and you not even knowing about it. Lucky that you had such a good neighbour. I shudder to think of what could have happened to the poor thing. Pets are always surprising me with what they can get up to.

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 02:15 PM
:offtopic: :sorry: Really Chico ? I think if there is going to be a "next" on the BSL list it will be Rotties.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "rottie hating". They're on the stereotype list for being vicious, and like pitbulliest says, with the reputation being so bad, you have to be an ambassador for the breed. :shrug: It's not the people who know you and love your rottie that are going to push the ban. It's the ones who don't know a rottie yet.

chico2
March 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM
:offtopic: Lavenderott,No,I don't have a Rottie only fierce cats:cat:
But understand what you mean,it's just that nobody I know hates Rotties,how can you hate a dog??
I've only met 3 in my life and they were wonderful dogs,so I guess I should change my comment to,our friends and I are not Rottie-haters,or any hater for that matter:thumbs up

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 06:44 PM
it's just that nobody I know hates Rotties,how can you hate a dog??I would like to know that too.:D Some people have been attacked and don't like dogs out of fear, but others think they're just disgusting nasty animals, and that I don't really understand.:o Still others just don't get dogs and choose to hate them instead of trying to understand them.:shrug: :sad:

I think they're just jealous. :laughing:

:sorry: :offtopic: :o

Rottielover
March 13th, 2007, 07:53 PM
On a pawsitive note, and back on topic, since this ordeal for tigger, he has not left harleys side, or gone anywhere near a door unless it is closed.
I think the snow did it to him, and being wet and cold.
He is a prince cat, loves warmth, cuddles, and food.

mummummum
March 14th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Tigger is lucky to have a big :lovestruck: brother like Harley.:)

rainbow
March 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Awwww.....it's really cute that he is so close to Harley. :lovestruck: I'm glad he learned his lesson and won't try to escape on Mom anymore. :)

CyberKitten
March 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I only saw the first part and thus just wanted to say how relived you must be that Tigger is OK after his misadventure. As to the other issue, that is another one which is a whole other debate and I'll add my opinion on that when someone starts a thread on it.

I myself have been scared of dogs I don't know at times so I don't know that I agree with thinking a dog would have scared ppl away but that said, I can't determine from the thread if that was your intention or if we are jumping to conclusions. I'd never use my dog to scare ppl - on one occasion a neighbour was afraid of my brother's chocolate lab who is big and loomed large in front of her (he was next to me ,many metres from her) and I assured her might be a big alright but he's a big baby. But to people who do not know that, we have to recall that people do have genuine fears and try to make sure our dogs do not frighten them. If my dog inadvertently saved me from a robber or some situation - if you felt threaten by these teenagers for example, that makes sense. Otherwise, I think I'll leave that part of this thread alone.and tbe happy for you and Tigger :)

Maya
March 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Thats good kitty is safe.:cloud9: I like Prin's car alarm idea though. I just wouldn't trust anyone doing stupid stuff like that for fun and wouldn't want them to come back or hold a grudge against my dog. I can hear them saying stuff like that stupid dog bla bla bla, we should throw something at it next time etc... Anyway, good it had a happy ending.:thumbs up

muskokapuss
March 28th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Ok I give up, I am wrong as always.....either way it did work, they did not stick around, I think they were more worried about the bark waking people up to see what they were doing.
I did not use Kill, or ick him, i let him out with me, if the bark did actually scare those punks away great. We are in an apt, he was behind a balcony gate, no way of him getting over, so I was not worried. By the way frenchy, Thank you
Harley is not a weapon, nor have I ever trained him that way. He is a great ambassador for the breed. Anyone that knows him or I personally know HOW MUCH training I have put into this dog so he stays a great ambassador.:thumbs up

Honestly Rottielover,
I do not see any problem what so ever in what you did. I am also the proud owner of a Rottie dog, that originally my hubby did get as a guard dog, I have since turned her into one of our 3 family pets. I really cannot see the problem with a nice deep "go away, now" bark from a dog especially when people don't seem to want to respect your space. I know that my dog far from being aggressive at all she is more likely to give you kisses and lick you than she is to bite you, but I sure like the nice deep bark that she has. We have trouble with people coming through the park that backs on to our back yard and either trying to steal things or vandalizing our trucks, (usually kids that are looking for money, or something to pawn), but since our Stinker has been here, we haven't had a problem at all, and she's not even outside, she's inside, but the bark definitely makes people think twice about things that's for sure. I'm really glad you got your kitty back as well :D , I have two indoor cat's of my own that I love :cat:

take care,

muskokapuss