Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

NB Fish & Sweet Potato

KimandAutumn
March 11th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Does anyone know what the calorie content is on this food? Doesn't say on the website and I can't seem to find it on the bag, or maybe I'm just blind?

Today is our first day on full ration of this food and so far so good. Good poops are happening... now if we can only keep it that way. :)

Prin
March 12th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Good luck! :) :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

For the calorie content, I think you have to email or call them for that if it's not on their site.:o

KimandAutumn
March 15th, 2007, 09:18 AM
today is day 5 on DVP Fish & Potato. I am very sad to say Autumn's poop is not good. Soft and loose and lots of it. We did the transition over a period of 2 weeks with Sunday being our first full day on it.

So disappointing... I swear I am never going to find a food that is going to agree with her bum!

Scott_B
March 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Try cutting the food back some. Feeding too much can cause soft stool.

KimandAutumn
March 15th, 2007, 09:35 AM
to the point where she is only getting like 3 cups/day and she's a 100 lb pup.....

Scott_B
March 15th, 2007, 09:49 AM
So..try cutting back a bit more. If shes maintaining a healthy weight, cutting back wont hurt.

KimandAutumn
March 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM
she's starting to drop weight....about 5 lbs this week so far. I don't really think I should be cutting back anymore...?

Scott_B
March 15th, 2007, 11:18 AM
5lbs in a week is quite a bit. I'd give it a few more days, then maybe get a stool sample checked at the vet.

Prin
March 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Soft but still formed? IMO, that might just take a little bit more adjustment if it's that...

But yeah, if she's losing weight, that's not good. :o

Winston
March 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Winston is on the Duck & Potato DVP Brand and as I have said for the past month his stools are HUGE!!! They have never been like that before! But I am trying to give it a bit more time! Good Luck it is so hard to find the right food!

Cindy

KimandAutumn
March 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
hard to describe.. not cow patty but a formed turd that when it hits the ground spreads a bit because it is soft. But the volume is...wow! HUGE! She was on Go! Natural Chicken, Veg&Fruit and eating about 4 - 4.5 cups per day at 617 cal per cup. The DVP I believe is around high 400 cal per cup and I've dropped her down to 3 cups now. Her poop was about the same consistency when she was on Go! but on Go! there was alot less of it.

She has been worked up the wazoo by the vet as well as a fecal exam 2 weeks ago. Everything is ok. So vet feels maybe her body just needs to mature a bit?

Ahh this is so frustrating, every night after work I spent my time reading about different kibbles in hopes maybe this is "the one". I will give the DVP a little more time but not too much more as she really can't stand to loose much more weight.

geisha
March 15th, 2007, 01:50 PM
The DVP Sweet Potato & Fish first 2 ingredients are sweet potatoes & potato followed by salmon meal. I was wondering if your dog has too much fiber/carbs with this food. California Natural Herring & Sweet potato's first ingredient is herring meal. Go! Salmon's first ingredient is salmon meal. Do you think the potato & sweet potato are doing a number on your pup?

Prin
March 15th, 2007, 01:53 PM
If it didn't help any to drop her food down a bit, then I'd bring it back up slowly. :o

rainbow
March 15th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Are her poops consistently soft? Maybe her digestive system isn't fully matured yet and it will just take a little time. Have you tried adding canned raw pumpkin or organic yogurt? Or else pro-biotics and digestive enzymes?

Perhaps there is something in the DVP that doesn't agree with her. I would switch her to either Petcurean's Go Natural Salmon and Oatmeal or Naturapet's California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato. Like Geisha said DVP's first ingredients are the potatoes which is what I don't like about that food.

KimandAutumn
March 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Her poops are always soft. Tried pumpkin with no luck and she does get probiotic yogurt added to her kibbles. The guy at global didn't seem too impressed about DVP either and tried to push onto California Natural, which she won't touch or the Go! Salmon. She does like Go! Salmon because I bought a little sample bag awhile back and let her try it and she went crazy for it.

Her coat is also starting to get dull and it was always so shiny on the Go! Chicken/Veg/Fruit. I wonder if its due to the lower fat content in DVP?

rainbow
March 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
If she likes the Go! Salmon and Oatmeal then I would switch her to that.

Are you using yogurt with probiotics included in it or probiotic capsules? The capsules provide alot more probiotics which is what she might need. Have you tried the digestive enzymes capsules too? They would also be helpful.

KimandAutumn
March 15th, 2007, 06:47 PM
i'm using yogurt with probiotics included. maybe i should switch to capsules.

geisha
March 15th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Just a suggestion, some dogs cannot tolerate yogurt or dairy. I second adding probiotic capsule or Holistic Blends Seagreens. Good Luck! Oh yes, another fish kibble is Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue. The first ingredient is also fish! FLASH Orijen will be coming out with a grain free fish soon. Hang in there!!!

KimandAutumn
March 16th, 2007, 09:26 AM
here is an interesting tidbit of information. yesterday was hubby's day to feed the dog. i still have some go! chicken/veg/fruit leftover and he made the mistake of feeding her that instead of DVP. This morning she pooped and it was 1 small, medium firm turd. Now this is the volume I am used to.

Just to clarify things, the only reason we switched to DVP was the vet suspected she had allergies because she broke out in the little pimple type bumps all over her belly and inner thighs. I'm not a vet but I am starting to think it either had something to do with the spay surgery, sutures, or the meds she was on because once sutures were out, she was off meds, the bumps went away. I am quickly loosing faith in this vet as this is the one who botched Autumn's spay and failed to advise to wait to spay because of her inverted vulva.

SuperWanda
March 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM
One of my dogs can't handle yogurt like geisha said - it gives her soft stools or even diarrhea but my other dog is fine with it so it just depends on the dog.

I understand what you are going through - it can be very frustrating when you just want to find something that works!

I didn't know that Orijen was coming out with a grain free fish! I really like the regular Orijen but wouldn't mind a different alternative if I have problems with the chicken!

Prin
March 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
KimandAutumn, if it is allergies, the irritation will come back really quickly. Worth a try if your vet isn't as great as you thought...:o