Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

you ever hear of this designer cat breed?

athenamor
March 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Dunno if this subject has been posted on yet, but I'm gonna rant about it.

This video was on my AOL welcome screen. http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1864823

It's talking about a woman who has bred cats to look like tigers, they are calling them Toygers... sigh between $800-$4000 a kitten. They dont possess tiger genes, but do have the same genes as the Asian Lepoerd Cat.

Other then the obvious, one of the things that upset me was the comment the breeder made when asked "And people will pay that much for a designer cat" she said "Designer people will, because they appreciate beautiful things." GASP Arent mixed breeds, and domestic kitties beautiful? I dont own a cat, but I think they can be wonderful. Just like dogs, and other pets. Granted I think they are gorgeous, but it doesnt mean I think it's right, and that I think they are more appealing then a regular domestic kitty.

Another thing, is the interview is promoting them, and talking about how neat they are!! Why can't they plug in a shelter to adopt from? ugh, Ok I'm done....

CyberKitten
March 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I have heard of them and in 2006, TICA did accept them as a new member of the cat family but Brown mackerel tabbys only qualify in the show circuit and for registration so anything else and especially a cat labeled "designer" is not a accepted.

I would be careful what to pay for. I do not agree with this new breed given that there are many brown tabbys who looks similar to the new breed. I don't see much difference actually. I have noticed that some of the same people - not always the most scrupulous of breeders who show bengals also show toygers but they are quite rare in Canada which is prob why they cost anywhere from $800 to $4,000 here - yikes is all I can say to that!! I can find a similar looking kitty just as cute at any shelter!!!

JennieV
March 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I personally think its disgusting. They do weird things to animals these days, like these Toygers, and the hypoallergenic cats... I mean COME ON!! :yuck: there are enough homeless animals, that dont have a 4000$ price tag attached, that are just as beautiful. I totally didnt appreciate the "beatiful things" remark...:evil:

dustybird
March 12th, 2007, 03:51 AM
:frustrated: I too am soo tired of the designer breed breeding. Enough already! Just about every mutt(two breed mix) could be classified as a designer breed and they are all available at one shelter/rescue/street corner or another. Just take a part of each breeds name and fiddle with it. They are doing it to every animal now, none are spared. Cats, dogs, rabbits etc... Sure the kitty is cute but then I think they all are(my cats are the bomb, not because of what they look like); I have seen many cats/tabbys with markings almost identical to the new Toyer, so why anyone would pay that kind of money is just beyond me. I too am offended by the "beatiful things" remark... it makes them sound like they're just objects and only look but don't touch...they're living, breathing, feeling creatures. The more people that go out of their way to buy desinger breeds from breeders and the more people that continue to try and get rich off them, only creates more homeless and neglected animals.

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 02:36 AM
There was a thread about it here somewhere, a long time ago... I think most people disagreed.:D

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=7937

Arent mixed breeds, and domestic kitties beautiful? I dont own a cat, but I think they can be wonderful. Just like dogs, and other pets. Granted I think they are gorgeous, but it doesnt mean I think it's right, and that I think they are more appealing then a regular domestic kitty.I agree. A lot of mutts (cat or dog) are beautiful and healthy, but the risk of NOT getting the beautiful, healthy ones is too great to ignore (unless you're breeding purely for profit ;):sad: ).

LynLyn
March 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM
The kitty is beautiful!! I want one!! Mind you I want any cat that I run across, purebred or muttastic. I feel so horrible for every cat that has to stay in a shelter because some idiot is going to shell out 800-4000 dollars for one of those toygers.

clm
March 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM
It's a tabby in my opinion. With shelters full of cats and lots of legit breeders out there I would think a lovely tabby woudn't be that hard to find whether you want a lovely shelter tabby or a purebred british shorthair or a tabby main coon....I guess if they can sell them as a new breed someone will be there to plunk down their cash for it.

Cindy