Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

doggie trouble

bens daddy
March 10th, 2007, 11:28 PM
our dog ben has a problem with is nail its coming off and we can see white underneath what can we put on it or do to help him ?

4thedogs
March 11th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Need more details, did the nail break or split. Was it bleeding or does it cause discomfort. Could you post a pic.

bens daddy
March 11th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Here's a pic of the nail.he licks it but doesn't seem to be in pain.
Still playing with Jag.

pitgrrl
March 11th, 2007, 01:27 PM
My dog's have had that happen a few times. I would just try to trim any hanging pieces that might get torn off or caught on something, and try to keep the area clean if the nail bed is exposed.

angeldogs
March 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM
pitgrrl.the nail bed is showing.
What's the best way to trim the nail.we don't have nail trimmers.my bro angeldogs takes Jag to get his nails trimmed.

bens daddy

pitgrrl
March 11th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Well, I had the vet do it the first time (and he laughed at me the whole time) and have just trimmed any hanging bits of nail myself with regular nail trimmers (the scissor like kind, not the guillotine type).

When it happened to a nail that actually touched the ground, I just soaked in everytime we came in from outside, but when it's been the dew claw, I haven't worried as much. Being the paranoid owner that I am though, it it seemed to get paiful or had any sign of possible infection, I'd be off to the vet.

kashtin's kin
March 12th, 2007, 12:10 AM
NOT to panic, at all...it looks like a simple sort of 'nail split'. However, if a dog loses a nail or multiple nails, and seems very sensitive/sore it's a good idea to check with a vet. One of our dogs just went through a nail-loss and sensitive paw episode that turned out to be due to a fairly rare auto-immune disease affecting the feet (symmetrical lupoid onchiodystropy...SLO). Just a bit of trivia that might be good to know, as we were really mystified.

Spirit
March 12th, 2007, 12:18 AM
It's hard to tell from the way you're holding the paw, but am I to assume right that we're looking at the dewclaw? If so, most breeders (especially breeders of show dogs) will have them removed at about 2 weeks of age, since they're completely functionless and can cause the most problems (of all the claws). I've encoutered a couple dogs that have experienced horrible pain by having them accidentally ripped out during play.

If it becomes a problem, ask your vet about the cost and procedure of having them removed. As for the problem itself, it doesn't look TOO bad (to me), but it's always hard to tell from a picture. Good advice above, so just keep an eye on it and keep it clean, and a phone call to your vet won't hurt either. :)

bens daddy
March 12th, 2007, 12:44 AM
thank you everyone for your help with this nail thing with ben.it don't seem to be hurting him because he will let you touch the right paw now and yes it is the right dew claw.he is still running and play and jump on the couch and bed.

thank yous all very much

bens daddy

p.s i will let everyone know how what the vet say's to me

4thedogs
March 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM
It looks like the nail has already begun to repair iteself, new nail growing. Just remove any pieces that may cause another tear.

lt_danish
March 12th, 2007, 07:47 PM
A friends dog had problemw with splitting nails. She switched her dog to a better quality food and the problem has never come back. What kind of food does he eat?

angeldogs
March 13th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Ben is on Innova large breed puppy.
4thedogs.he just started limping on it that day.and we took the pic.him and jag were playing out back so we think it happened then.

bens daddy
March 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I just wanted to let all of yous know that bens dew claw is helling really good.I'm hoping by the weekend i can get a new pic of bens nail and some new ones of him to