Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog licking other dogs?

lt_danish
March 10th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I have noticed that my puppy (6 months) is often licking other dogs when we are playing at the park. They are often dogs she knows from the park, and are sometimes new to her. I have not been too worried about this so far, as dogs at the dog park are generally dog friendly if they are off leash. I was just wondering what this sort of thing meant in animal behavior terms. Should I be concerned about her continuing to do this?

TeriM
March 11th, 2007, 01:19 AM
My understanding is that the licking is just submissive behavoir to the other dogs. I wouldn't worry about it, she will likely do this less as she matures. I would be very careful in the dog park to monitor her activities and keep her away from agressive dogs so she doesn't have any bad experiences :) .

4thedogs
March 11th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Some dogs are more sensitive to smells, pleasing to them. This is not a real problem for the behaviour itself but you may be concerned with your pup contracting something. Also. many other dog owners will not appreciate your dog doing this to theirs.

sissani
March 11th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Dogs will lick other dogs around the face (usually with their ears back and back arched) to show their submission to the other dog, to tell the other dog "I'm here to be your friend". Its nothing to worry about, its actually a good thing.

Dad of Dog's
March 11th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Where is your dog licking. Different area, different meaning.

lt_danish
March 12th, 2007, 07:43 PM
She is licking the face only. She goes in for a sniff to say hello and then just starts licking the dogs face.

Loves Labs
March 12th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Sounds like some friendly kisses to me... :laughing:

My girl licks my boys face all the time. She will go on forever if I don't stop her. I like to think it is because she likes him so much....but she is also submissive to him. Either way, I would look at it as a good thing.