Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spay/Neuter policy in shelters

Madglitters
March 10th, 2007, 03:50 PM
This may be a bit long, apologies in advance.

I've recently started to get involved at my local city shelter, and I'm currently fostering an adorable pregnant cat.

I've gotten super attached to her and can't wait to see her babies. I will do the best I can to find adopters for her and her future kittens while they are with me, so they have a better chance of having a home when I have to bring them back to the shelter.

Today I started talking with one of the shelter technicians while I was there to pick up some kitty litter, and he told me that they don't alter animals before adopting them out, because 'there is a demand for intact animals, sometimes people want to breed them for example'. I didn't say anything then (though I'm sure my face said plenty), but I was SO shocked to find out about this!

I used to live in New Brunswick and volunteered at the SPCA in Moncton, where I'm pretty sure they spayed/neutered all animals except young kittens (they gave out vouchers for those), and I sort of assumed that it was a general policy in all the shelters to spay/neuter. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense that way? They're the ones who end up with overloads of kittens during the spring/summer!

I don't know, overall my visit today left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I'm enjoying my fostering experience but I'm not sure I really want to get involved with this shelter after that. I think they are very high kill compared to the previous shelter where I volunteered. I realize that I'm helping out the animals and that's what matters, but I find that policy so irresponsible!

I haven't found any other cat rescues in my area.

What is your experience with city shelters/SPCAs where you live? I'm curious to find out if it's more common than I thought to adopt out intact animals.

Winston
March 10th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Madglitters that is shocking! Kind of defeats the purpose of changing the outlook for these kittens! I wouls have thought that was mandatory! I am involved with a small organization that is a no kill rescue in Hamilton...They do not release the cat or kitten until it is fixed! Makes sense to me! They are always looking for foster homes for cats! It is called Animal Welfare Association....( i hope I can say that on here!) You can pm me if you are ever interested in being a foster mom!

Cindy

Frenchy
March 10th, 2007, 03:58 PM
and he told me that they don't alter animals before adopting them out, because 'there is a demand for intact animals, sometimes people want to breed them for example'. I didn't say anything then (though I'm sure my face said plenty), but I was SO shocked to find out about this!

OMG ! :mad: I am shocked as well ! You would think these people would know first hand about pet overpopulation !!! May I ask where is that shelter ?

Madglitters
March 10th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Cindy -- I would take you up on it if I lived anywhere near Hamilton! The closest city that has no-kill rescue groups (that I know of) is Montreal, and that's still about 3 hours away for me.

Frenchy -- I have no problems with naming the shelter, but I don't want to get in trouble (as per the forum rules). I'll send you a pm. :)

Toonces
March 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Disgusting and irresponsible are two words that come to mind, I have never heard of a shelter that does this before.

luckypenny
March 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM
That's extremely irresponsible! It sounds as if it's being run as a business, not a rescue shelter. Actually, what they're doing, purposefully or not, is encouraging backyard breeders. Is there anyone, such as a manager or director, that you can voice your concerns to? Perhaps they need to be educated? I wouldn't stop there; you can arrange an appointment with the city mayor or bring it up at a city council meeting. Bring along friends, neighbors, family members who feel the same as you. Is this an independent shelter contracted out by the city or is it run by the city itself? Are you located in Ontario or Quebec? Perhaps we can help to try to change their policies.

CyberKitten
March 10th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I am a native of New Brunswick tho live (mostly, lol ) in Nova Scotia now and that shocks me too - I am certain most of our shelters spay and neuter prior to adoption tho I know of a few SPCA's in the Maritimes that merely insist people do it - whether they follow up, I do not know?

Madglitters
March 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I figure that the whole 'there is a demand for intact pets' is not the main reason they don't alter all animals, and that lack of funds is why they don't do it. That at least would seem a bit more reasonable even though it's still irresponsible. But I still can't believe a shelter employee would tell me that! He said that if a cat turns up pregnant for the second time at the shelter, then they would spay her. UGH! STUPID! Once isn't enough? And how would they even tell that it's the second time? I doubt they can remember all the cats individually, and if they don't spay/neuter I doubt they microchip.

The whole thing makes me angrier the more I think about it. My foster cat is sitting in my lap purring and I really don't want to bring her back there so she can be adopted out intact and get pregnant AGAIN.

I just moved here from NB, so I don't know a lot of people here. I might try to contact the shelter manager (if there is one) to ask questions about the way they run things.

I'm pretty sure it's an independent shelter that is contracted out by the municipalities in the area. I live in Quebec.

That's extremely irresponsible! It sounds as if it's being run as a business, not a rescue shelter. Actually, what they're doing, purposefully or not, is encouraging backyard breeders. Is there anyone, such as a manager or director, that you can voice your concerns to? Perhaps they need to be educated? I wouldn't stop there; you can arrange an appointment with the city mayor or bring it up at a city council meeting. Bring along friends, neighbors, family members who feel the same as you. Is this an independent shelter contracted out by the city or is it run by the city itself? Are you located in Ontario or Quebec? Perhaps we can help to try to change their policies.

jesse's mommy
March 10th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I think you should adopt your foster kitty. :lovestruck:

Frenchy
March 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I don't know if there is such a thing in Quebec city but sometimes organisation can help you with the cost of spay/neuter. Or maybe talk with vets to find out if one could help you with the cost, so the momma cat could get spay before she leaves you.

Frenchy
March 10th, 2007, 08:38 PM

:laughing: Jesse's mommy favorite answer :D

jesse's mommy
March 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM
If my man would let me foster babies in need, I know I would never give them up. Seriously, my house would be a zoo. I could easily see myself as a hoarder. :o

Madglitters
March 10th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I wish!

I definitely can't though. 1) I'm gone for 3 months every summer and definitely wouldn't be able to bring her along, and 2) I'm a poor grad student. You can be sure that once I finish school and my life is a bit more stable, one of the first things I'll do is adopt a couple of cats. :)